The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Personally I think any thoughts of usurping Villa and Spurs is fantasy stuff. Man United, fuck knows which way they go. Like it or not, they have a knack for pulling results out of their arse.

For me, it's 7th. Europa Conference would be a perfect nursery for re-learning how to cope with two games a week. We'd batter most teams in that competition, we might even be favourites to win it.

In order to get 7th, we need to see off Brighton and West Ham. We have both teams at home. Win both and 7th will be ours IMO, largely because I can't see either side pulling away from us any time soon.

We've looked unlikely to string 6/7 games together this season but if we beat Chelsea away and don't get smashed off city in the Cup, I might revise my view and think 6th is possible.

2 hours ago, Interpolic said:

We're 4 points behind Man Utd with 11 games left :lol: Some people will absolutely never learn. 

And we still have to play them again. That could be a massive match. Hopefully we're above them by then though.

Edited by cubaricho

8 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I fancy us at OT. 

Same. Especially with that GD of theirs. And we should be well into our stride by then. The two matches after are Sheff Und and Burnley so we should be going all out in the Man U match too.

Edited by cubaricho

2 hours ago, Mazzy said:

It'll make me sick if Man Utd finish 5th and UEFA then decide to give England five spots. 

They don’t really ‘decide’ to give anyone the extra place. It’s entirely down to each country’s coefficient points. 

But we look in a pretty strong position to get an extra spot.

I maintain that 6th is ours to lose, I think 4th/5th are out of our grasp as I can't see those teams dropping 10/15 points more than us in 11 games. 

On 04/03/2024 at 09:01, Coffee_Johnny said:

This run of results would give us 26 points (66 overall) and almost guarantee 6th. If one of the wins becomes a draw, or there are any more losses (without a draw becoming a win) and I don’t think we’d catch Man Utd. 

Chelsea A 1pt

West Ham H 3pts 

Everton H 3pts 

Fulham A 3pts 

Spurs H 0pts

Man Utd A 1pt

Sheff Utd H 3pts

Burnley A 3 pts

Brighton H 3pts

Brentford A 3pts 

Crystal Palace (date tbc) A 3pts

8 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss. HTL!

We need to beat Spurs and just not lose at Man Utd to have a chance. Win 7-8 of the rest. That's going to be very hard and will just give us a sniff of 5th.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Well after tonights result it's obvious we are in a five team race for 7th. Ten games left, I'd imagine we'd need to win six of them and perhaps a draw or two as well. All the games we have left at home are very winable, plus two or three of the away games. Obviously the home games against WHU and Brighton are pretty much must wins. I hope the Gordon injury isn't serious as I don't think we'd win enough without him in the team.

I'll be overjoyed to get 7th after watching some of our games this season. Easy to blame it on injuries but we just look all over the place defensively.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'll be overjoyed to get 7th after watching some of our games this season. Easy to blame it on injuries but we just look all over the place defensively.

Joelinton has been a huge miss like, we are better defensively when he's in front of the back four. Of course Pope being injured plus Botman and Trippier having so many off days hasn't helped either.

Europa League looks to be fairly week next year as CL teams don't drop in. If we qualify we will likely be second favorites behind Man U.

18 hours ago, Aiston said:

Probably get 4 points max from away games, basically need to win the rest of our home games.

Well Burnley will be down by the time we go there and they have a horrific home record, so that is a win hopefully. Can't see us getting anything at Man U, the games at Fulham, Brentford and Palace are anyones guess but 7 pts over the five games would certainly be a realistic target. 

7 points from our away games seems like the bare minimum considering none of those teams apart from Man U will have anything to play for.

12 points from our home games. 9 from our away games. 61 points, 7th place secured.

The way our season has gone I'm convinced that if we finish 7th then England will miss out on the extra CL place so we'll be in the Conference League. But if we don't finish 7th then England will get the extra place.

4 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

The way our season has gone I'm convinced that if we finish 7th then England will miss out on the extra CL place so we'll be in the Conference League. But if we don't finish 7th then England will get the extra place.

I'd love the conference league tbh.

20 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

This all made me think of something. I sort of knew the Fairs Cup format was weird and changed over time but never bothered to look up the details.

You probably all knew this already but Today I learned that Newcastle actually finished 10th the year they qualified for the 1968/69 Fairs Cup. Man City won the league, and so qualified for the European Cup. In theory the next four would go into the Fairs Cup. However, Man U also qualified for the European Cup because they won it that year. Then Everton in 5th weren't allowed in because they came from the same city as Liverpool in 3rd. Then Spurs in 7th weren't allowed in because we were from the same city as Chelsea in 6th - likewise Arsenal in 9th. Then West Brom in 8th won the FA Cup so they went into the Cup Winners' Cup :lol:

I knew it was a bit weird, but I didn't realize quite how silly it was :lol:. I just never bothered to look it up until now.

Edited by leffe186

2 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

This all made me think of something. I sort of knew the Fairs Cup format was weird and changed over time but never bothered to look up the details.

You probably all knew this already but Today I learned that Newcastle actually finished 10th the year they qualified for the 1968/69 Fairs Cup. Man City won the league, and so qualified for the European Cup. In theory the next four would go into the Fairs Cup. However, Man U also qualified for the European Cup because they won it that year. Then Everton in 5th weren't allowed in because they came from the same city as Liverpool in 3rd. Then Spurs in 7th weren't allowed in because we were from the same city as Chelsea in 6th - likewise Arsenal in 9th. Then West Brom in 8th won the FA Cup so they went into the Cup Winners' Cup :lol:

I knew it was a bit weird, but I didn't realize quite how silly it was :lol:. I just never bothered to look it up until now.

Trying to diminish the club's only trophy half a century. You really know how to kick a board when it's down. [emoji38]