Anthony Gordon

Jack27

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This is more G/A than he’s got in his entire career. His age mate Olise, slapped that in a single Champo season as a teenager. 

Aye. At his age 90% of good players have shown something somewhere at a professional level that they can produce. 

Honestly. I would have liked to have seen  that. It would’ve given me a lot more confidence in the lad.  Iirc he’s got something like 11 professional G/A.  

Agree with Kaka that he’s very inexperienced despite his age. He doesn’t have a track record. so for me, he doesn’t pass the eye test. And there is no evidence he can produce. So I’ve been worried about him from day one. I think we got him because he’s younger and they thought he had a higher ceiling than someone like Jack Harrison.  2 footed, tenacious wide man. 

While he is tenacious and quick, I don’t think he has great stamina and doesn’t know how to press effectively imo. There are some ingredients that I like, tenacious, quick, pass and move, uses both feet.  

His lack of stamina was evident at times on Saturday. Fingers crossed that will be addressed in pre season.

17 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Prediction. Double figures next season. 

I like him, he's got a lot going for him, but I'm not sure he strikes the ball particularly well. Pretty sure when I watched a youtube compilation when we signed him most of his goals were tap ins. And there weren't that many of them.

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Good point.  I did read somewhere that he’s had stamina issues before. 

Iirc Howe had him on an extra fitness regime to get him up to speed back in February. Not sure if that's ongoing etc.

give him a full pre-season here and he'll be absolutely fine. look at the state of Everton and who he's been working under and alongside! it'll take a while to get that stink off him.

not sure he'll ever be a world-beater, but he has all the tools to be a very effective winger in Howe's system. if Murphy and Miggy can do it, this lad certainly can.

What do people expect Gordon to become?

For his fee and age I would want a blue chip player for the future. 

Based on what I’ve seen. My ambitions are lower. He’s never had a purple patch in his career so I don’t know what that would look like. Much like Miggy, ultimately I’ll be happy if he proves to be worth the money we’ve paid and make it back when he’s sold. I don’t think he will ever have the quality to be a regular top 5 wide man. Would love to be proven wrong. I never thought Schar would look as good as he has. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Based on what I’ve seen. My ambitions are lower. He’s never had a purple patch in his career so I don’t know what that would look like. Much like Miggy, ultimately I’ll be happy if he proves to be worth the money we’ve paid and make it back when he’s sold. I don’t think he will ever have the quality to be a regular top 5 wide man. Would love to be proven wrong. I never thought Schar would look as good as he has. 

I think he's going to be a Milner, Barry, Lescott type that Man City had near the beginning. 

I watched him very closely and he showed plenty of promise, some nice touches, good pace, and eager to drive forward, I think a work in progress and a player that 12 months from now will be of real value to the side once Eddie has really had time to develop him. His decision making seemed to be the thing letting him down, a few times Isak and Willock were less than impressed by his choices but this is something that will improve with elite coaching.

One thing I was watching, was his body language and general demeanour, he didn't seem happy and often looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. I think as fans we often take it for granted that a player arrives and should instantly be perfect, that's how it works on FM! We overlook the other factors that contribute to a player, such as moving away (yes, not a million miles from home), but still, a young lad moving away, to new surroundings having left his home town in slightly acrimonious circumstances must have an effect mentally, the hefty price tag, the eagerness to impress, there are many factors to this beyond just the obvious footballing ability. He needs some time, a full pre-season and once he is fully settled and more comfortable in his surroundings he will begin to flourish.

14 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I expect him to be a squad player that can play here and there, and make up for his lack of quality with energy. Much like Murphy, but hopefully in time a better version. I don’t see him ever being a first team player at a top club.

18 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think he's going to be a Milner, Barry, Lescott type that Man City had near the beginning. 

Yes, I can see his position evolving across his career.

Think he'll be someone who'll start 20ish across all comps and similar numbers from the bench, buy into the way we play, learn a few positions and be an important squad player. Has the potential to be more but I think he'll be good for us and hold most of his value when he gets to 27-28 year old. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

52 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

if you want a regular top five wide man prospect I am afraid we need to chuck out 100m like what Man Utd did to Antony

He's got skill, he's got pace, and he looks like a tenacious tackler, so you can see exactly why we would have wanted him, he does fit our style, or at least he will once he's up to speed. The only question mark would be his end product, I guess Ashworth and co must have done their homework, they'll have seen a lot more than us. He is getting into good positions to score so that shows potential.

He seems to have a quick brain, some of his movement and passes he does at speed, quicker than the opposition.  That’s a real plus point, the likes of Murphy can’t do that. All he needs is to get up to fitness work on his decision making and practice his shooting. He’ll be fine. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

IMO these were all excellent players. 20-70 England caps each. All 3 proved themselves to be quality PL players. That level just below the elite in the division. Right there. Like Ashley Young. 

They were already there when they joined the massive clubs. Longway for Gordon to go. 

19 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

IMO these were all excellent players. 20-70 England caps each. All 3 proved themselves to be quality PL players. That level just below the elite in the division. Right there. Like Ashley Young. 

They were already there when they joined the massive clubs. Longway for Gordon to go. 

That's the level I see him getting to. 

On his first chance that he hit in the near-post side-netting I just felt he took ages to get set up for that one; he waited for that ball to get to him and then obviously still beat his man, but felt like he could have taken that on at pace and blown right by the defender and gotten himself a better angle with his right foot. 

23 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

That's the level I see him getting to. 

I hope so.

One major difference though is those lads had a lot of experience at the age Gordon is. Barry & Milner had like 180 pro appearances for a PL club. Lescott & Young about 140 in the Championship Lescott only limited due to injuries. Young had scored 24 professional goals who knows how many assists. His game would've developed much further tha Gordon has.

He doesn't have the experience Gordon. And with CL football and new signings next season, will he get the games he needs to really develop for us?

It's a major reason I want Anderson on loan. Lads need to play pro-football.

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Think he'll be someone who'll start 20ish across all comps and similar numbers from the bench, buy into the way we play, learn a few positions and be an important squad player. Has the potential to be more but I think he'll be good for us and hold most of his value when he gets to 27-28 year old. 

Good shout. I like the James Milner comp you had previously too.