Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Everyone except one person was hyping him up for the Euros.

His one appearance, although short was positive.

Then something happened behind the scenes that seemed to push him out of the spotlight.

Did he really say too much in the interview, did he get injured falling off the bike, did he just realise that he was never going to get is chance.

Add to that he come back late from preseason compared to last summer when he was fighting fit.

Give him time and he will be back to his best.. but I also do think he is a confidence player and the summer has hurt him

52 minutes ago, STM said:

He was doing this loads last season. People will start noticing more now.:lol:

There's no doubting he's class for us but for whatever reason he definitely doesn't cover his left back well. It might be tactical.

Last season he stayed higher up and the LM covered. It’s a way of providing an outlet and stretching opponents but I think also using Joelintons / BDBs strengths (appreciate it was Hall yesterday but it’s a longstanding tactic)

Howe used this even before Gordon, e.g. watch the 22/23 season 3-3 with Man City where ASM always stays high, and exploited the gaps left when Walker tried to go forward 

1 hour ago, Shak said:

Any thought has to why he decided he wasn't really arsed anymore here?

Early in the game and he just lets him go basically. I know we had the numbers but it was still a dangerous looking situation.

Bruno not exactly busting a gut either but we know Gordon can move and he seems to just not?

Was really poor yesterday, really hope his head hasn't been turned and it's just rust from the summer.

Maybe been told not to come too deep - the entire euros everyone was complaining that Kane comes too deep yet people are judging him because he doesn’t.

A lot of his goals last season came from being that outlet and hitting them fast, maybe that’s what he was told to do.

1 hour ago, Shak said:

Any thought has to why he decided he wasn't really arsed anymore here?

Early in the game and he just lets him go basically. I know we had the numbers but it was still a dangerous looking situation.

Bruno not exactly busting a gut either but we know Gordon can move and he seems to just not?

Was really poor yesterday, really hope his head hasn't been turned and it's just rust from the summer.

Joelinton probably told him that he's got this. 

56 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

He can have his move next summer, we're going to have to sell 1 of him, Isak and Bruno and I'd rather keep the other two.

One or both of Isak will almost certainly move without champions league football next season.

3 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

He looked like he couldn't be arsed at all yesterday, really hope he's not downing tools like he did at Everton to get his move .

He was laughing and joking at the full time whistle. He won’t be full fit. 

4 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

He looked like he couldn't be arsed at all yesterday, really hope he's not downing tools like he did at Everton to get his move .

The trend continues for few games I’d tend to agree, way too early to speculate.

Think he's legitimately not match fit and his confidence was shit; nothing come off for him. I noticed Isak was busting a gut to press in areas Gordon should have.

5 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Think he's legitimately not match fit and his confidence was shit; nothing come off for him. I noticed Isak was busting a gut to press in areas Gordon should have.

Not to mention he was clattered at least 3 times none of which, according to Pawson, warranted even a yellow. 

3 hours ago, Geogaddi said:

I don't think Howe would've picked him ahead of Barnes if he thought there was a chance that was the case.

25 minutes ago, STM said:

I could do with an interview from him, addressing his questions of loyalty or better still, give him a juicy new contract.

I want to see him burning a Liverpool shirt before I ever trust him 

I think we are all still paranoid from the Ashley era we can’t have nice things 🤣🤣

I was exactly the same yesterday saying I thought he didn’t look interested but as people say he won’t be 100% fit 

He looked absolutely fine to me. Few heavy touches but that's it.

No protection from the ref, absorbed a few heavy challenges and still almost got a goal, if not for a foul by Bruno on some guy Gordon was going to beat anyway.

People putting 2 and 2 together and making 7 here. It was just a bit of a slow first game of the season for him, nothing more. He'll be one of the best players in the league again this season

He'll be one of the best players in the league again this season. It wasn't a great game but I don't know how anyone can start making judgments in the game even the first 28 mins.

A) It was the first 28 minutes of the season against a newly promoted but generally established premier league team

B)We were down to 10 for the rest of the game so no chance to adjust etc.

If we had not gone down to 10 men we would have blown them away in the 2nd half IMO once we adjusted to meet there impressive style.  They'll do well this season.

Geting all the negative comment (from me included) after his performance last weekend, cue him scoring a hattrick against Bournemouth on Saturday to answer his critics.

4 minutes ago, Zero said:

Soton double teamed Gordon the whole game. Of course he couldn’t have a good game.

And this is where we need a top RW, double team Gordon and it then releases him or vice versa

53 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

And this is where we need a top RW, double team Gordon and it then releases him or vice versa

We were down to ten men for a majority of the game mind, we had no right winger on the pitch.