Anthony Gordon

And apologies to all for derailing this a bit. 

In regards to this contract I'm happy but a bit confused. Are we planning to give everyone who performs well for a year a new contract which makes them the highest earner? I was certain the stories of that initial contract being 3 and half years were nonsense but now I'm not sure anymore. 

8 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Absolutely if you feel a certain poster talks nothing but drivel or trolls just stick them on ignore and move on. Things can certainly get emotional at times on here with knee jerk reactions aplenty but the thought of being driven off this section because I disagree with someone's views on football is beyond me. 

I think it’s less about individual disagreements and more about the relentless tidal wave of shit, doom-mongering craic cloaked as analysis during a time when the prospects of the club are as good as they’ve been for many decades. There’s been quite an influx of energy vampires on this board recently.

Edited by Dr Venkman

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

And apologies to all for derailing this a bit. 

In regards to this contract I'm happy but a bit confused. Are we planning to give everyone who performs well for a year a new contract which makes them the highest earner? I was certain the stories of that initial contract being 3 and half years were nonsense but now I'm not sure anymore. 

I get the worry the miggy purple patch extension was a mistake which contributed to the non existent new RW. 

However you need to pick players to build a side around. We aren't able to bat offers away for our players from everyone securing assets is key. 

As the club grows and new signings will  get higher wages you have to continue to keep pace for the better players. 

If he is rumoured to be our new top earner or at least on par with what say Isak is getting offered for his new deal I can understand the worry with every contract and signing it comes with an element of risk. If he goes onto have a great season this contract basically stops him being unsettled if we doesn't produce it this year a long contract length protects the asset from a "cheeky offer". 

Edited by nufcjmc

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

I think it’s less about individual disagreements and more about the relentless tidal wave of shit, doom-mongering craic cloaked as analysis during a time when the prospects of the club are as good as they’ve been for many decades. There’s been quite an influx of energy vampires on this board in recent times.

I see, I think I read most posts but I don't really see what you've described to that extent. Plenty of bad takes which is to be expected and events of the last 12 months or so have definitely knocked the wind out our sales though. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I see, I think I read most posts but I don't really see what you've described to that extent. Plenty of bad takes which is to be expected and events of the last 12 months or so have definitely knocked the wind out our sales though. 

I think what i read it's more about people having the same narrative just on different subjects so it all seems doom and gloom. Project is in the bin after board changes, project in the bin we haven't signed anyone  project in the bin no new sponsors, project in the bin stadium plans no longer imminent, project in the bin psr issues, project in the bin team not performing, project in the bin still got miggy/murphy/longstaff in and around first 11 etc etc. 

At the same time the people who say its not Ashley and we have come so far seems very rose tinted specs that you wash over any big issues as this all takes time and it's a blip. 

Certainly I admit we lose and my thoughts go negative but I suffer from clinical depression and my glass is always half full with a hole in it. 

I hope we all agree ultimately we want the team to succeed and do well even if how we get there is different. 

Just now, nufcjmc said:

I think what i read it's more about people having the same narrative just on different subjects so it all seems doom and gloom. Project is in the bin after board changes, project in the bin we haven't signed anyone  project in the bin no new sponsors, project in the bin stadium plans no longer imminent, project in the bin psr issues, project in the bin team not performing, project in the bin still got miggy/murphy/longstaff in and around first 11 etc etc.

:thup:

Just now, nufcjmc said:

At the same time the people who say its not Ashley and we have come so far seems very rose tinted specs that you wash over any big issues as this all takes time and it's a blip. 

Certainly I admit we lose and my thoughts go negative but I suffer from clinical depression and my glass is always half full with a hole in it. 

I hope we all agree ultimately we want the team to succeed and do well even if how we get there is different. 

Thanks for the insight! Yes I think such takes without any form of nuance or detail are pretty unhelpful and don't add much to the conversation. 

That being said, I'm sure we are all guilty of the odd flippant post myself included :lol:

I will also add that the club have themselves to blame as well for expectations which maybe considered elevated given past statements mind. 

39 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Thanks for the insight! Yes I think such takes without any form of nuance or detail are pretty unhelpful and don't add much to the conversation. 

That being said, I'm sure we are all guilty of the odd flippant post myself included :lol:

I will also add that the club have themselves to blame as well for expectations which maybe considered elevated given past statements mind. 

I loved Amanda but as a minor shareholder she had a bit of an issue in terms of maybe saying things that you shouldn't or heat of the moment. You could see how much she cared and was excited as most to see this succeed. I think right now we have a new management structure yes the other owners are here still but we have changed sporting director and due to Darren's health a new chief executive is coming. Added to the change in rules brought in place while we have been taken over I feel our approach has and will change due to the new people coming on board. 

I think the club has now made it clear to be a European side consistently is the aim what appears to have changed is how we do this and the speed in which it will happen. 

It's frustrating when you hear that we need to drive up commercial revenue but have yet to bring in a training ground or training kit sponsor.  It's frustrating when you hear at first we want to challenge for everything and  be the best but under the current climate don't appear to have a clear plan to do this other than be in Europe year on year. 

I never expected as PSR was real before the take over we could spend 100s of millions every window. We been spoilt getting champions league and being competitive against every side in the league this was bound to be difficult to maintain. The challenge now is how many years are we away from getting back into the champions league. 

I did worry slightly by the Gordon interview when he said champions league and trophy is the aim as he and a few others in the side feel like champions league players. Not sure we can match that ambition is it's  a requirement for them sticking around. 

Still would i rather aim high and be confident and fall short or be like the old days of the club not wanting Europe or cup runs as it hurts league form. I guess the answer is I want the former with more performances from the group to match that bold ambition. 

1 hour ago, Heron said:

Lush that last bit. Hits a very soft spot for me right now.

He's just an absolute credit to himself, his family and the club's that have shaped him. None of it feels forced or false. Just a genuinely good human being and a ruthless competitor.

You can't not like the guy.

2 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

Great news, fully deserved too.

It is and it isn’t. Not a fan of improving contracts so quickly. Let’s see you do it for two back to back seasons first. Would tell all agents that when signing players. Do that and reward them handsomely.

Have to say, I'm working on the assumption that story about the original contract being for 3.5 years - or something to that effect - is true. Which made the need to open discussions a lot more pressing.

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

It is and it isn’t. Not a fan of improving contracts so quickly. Let’s see you do it for two back to back seasons first. Would tell all agents that when signing players. Do that and reward them handsomely.

If you want to make young signings wait 2 full seasons before giving them a new contract then it is best not to give them a 3.5 year contract in the first place, especially if you are paying north of £40 million for them.

Just now, Matt1892 said:

If you want to make young signings wait 2 full seasons before giving them a new contract then it is best not to give them a 3.5 year contract in the first place, especially if you are paying north of £40 million for them.

Yep. It’s definitely been a strange one. Was it ever confirmed he only had 2yrs left on contract? Makes initial contract very short and unlike us.

25 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Yep. It’s definitely been a strange one. Was it ever confirmed he only had 2yrs left on contract? Makes initial contract very short and unlike us.

Not confirmed, so could be total bollocks. But just 'feels' like it's the case all things considered. Given some of the eccentric things that have come out about our overall conduct, it doesn't feel as implausible as it once did.