Anthony Gordon

Jack27

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

Happy to re-visit these 2 deals at end of the season and hope I’m wrong.

Something tells me we’ll be looking to upgrade the wide areas again next summer though.

I think we will as well, but it won't be Gordon & Barnes that we replace, it's more likely to be Almiron & Murphy which is absolutely fine and part of our natural progression.

1 minute ago, TBG said:

Love how St Maximum attempting to take on 3 or 4 players and not passing in time is unpredictable, but Gordon failing at attempting to take on someone is no end product. 

St Max disrupted the opposition more and attracted extra defenders. Any coincidence Isak has appeared more marked with less room this season ?

48 minutes ago, 54 said:

I know, but its just a little relentless as you do it in every single thread. :lol: 

I just think Gordon is doing what he's been asked to do - to the best of his ability. He could reasonably improve in some areas (his general pressing for example). But overall he's getting the ball on the touchline a lot, he's not well supported by the LB and he has no chemistry or connection with the LCM and passing isn't one of his strengths.

I've got no complaints. He's doing what he can. There's areas he can improve on but he's doing as much as can be expected at this stage.

Edited by The College Dropout

3 minutes ago, KDT said:

6 games into the season

6 games in to the season + another 16 from last season. So when are we allowed to have an opinion to this lad?

I dont think he is or see himself as a winger, according to some articles in the summer he believes his best position is central striker.

I think his postional play, pressing and tackling is his weakest strengths, he is often in no mans lands and only jogs back instead of helping his team mates out defensivly. Tonali covered his postion most of the game yesterday, something I think he was having an argument of with some of the players and Howe at some point. I do think this is one of the reasons why our midfielders seem so unbalanced this season, and you can see teams are taking advantage of this side.

Attacking I dont think he offers more than Almiron tbh. Also should be noted that it looks like a red card waiting for him for loosing his head and could/should have had a couple all ready.

Havent seen enough of Barnes to know if he could balance the midfield more, so atm I hope Big Joe will come back as strong as he was last season.

Gordon is still young so still have faith in him, but we or mainly himself needs to find out his best position in the team.

10 minutes ago, TBG said:

Love how St Maximum attempting to take on 3 or 4 players and not passing in time is unpredictable, but Gordon failing at attempting to take on someone is no end product. 

I think he probably has an average-to-goodish talent ceiling, which is probably difficult for us to reason with given his polarising nature. 

Can't help but feel one of the problems with us looking a little disjointed is the fact that Gordon tends to get his head down and run when he receives the ball. Often he runs infield, which takes him away from an overlapping full-back, into a midfield where nobody seems quite sure where they are supposed to be. Last night Trippier was nowhere near Gordon. In isolation he is pretty easy to defend against. If Isak is dropping deep, there is little to no chance of the two of them linking up and things just peter out. 

I'm really curious as to what we look like with Livramento and Hall at full back. Think we'd have direct pace in forward areas, recovery pace in defensive areas and quality delivery from overlapping full-backs. 

General consensus from people seems to be that so far:

- Our press is less intense than last year

- Trippier appears to be less advanced

- Tonali doesn’t quite understand his position / tactical role

- Bruno has been a bit off the boil

- We lack an attacking threat from LB

- Strikers are pretty isolated without a great deal of support from central areas

- Pope has been out of form

- We’ve played 5 out of six games against pretty high quality opposition 

and yet we’re still banging on about Maxi doing a dribble. I get it, he was exciting to watch and at times he could open up a defence in a counter, but I can’t see which of the issues above having him would really address.

Edit - and even with all that above Gordon has looked our most threatening player.

Edited by AJ9

5 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

General consensus from people seems to be that so far:

- Our press is less intense than last year

- Trippier appears to be less advanced

- Tonali doesn’t quite understand his position / tactical role

- Bruno has been a bit off the boil

- We lack an attacking threat from LB

- Strikers are pretty isolated without a great deal of support from central areas

- Pope has been out of form

- We’ve played 5 out of six games against pretty high quality opposition 

and yet we’re still banging on about Maxi doing a dribble. I get it, he was exciting to watch and at times he could open up a defence in a counter, but I can’t see which of the issues above having him would really address.

Edit - and even with all that above Gordon has looked our most threatening player.

:lol: :thup: not to mention he probably wouldn't have even been available, for one reason or another. That, of course, being the most compelling reason to swap him for another option. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

:lol: :thup: not to mention he probably wouldn't have even been available, for one reason or another. That, of course, being the most compelling reason to swap him for another option. 

100%

27 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

St Max disrupted the opposition more and attracted extra defenders. Any coincidence Isak has appeared more marked with less room this season ?

They played a grand total of 14 Premier League games together.

St Max playing for longer than Isak in 3 of those games.

3 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Great first half against Liverpool, I'm not sure what else he has done of note?

Played well vs Villa and set up Tonali for the goal, won us a pen vs Brentford and had a decent game off the top of my head.

Nobody has particularly set the world on fire in an attacking sense, but the only other player that’s in the conversation is Barnes for his brief cameos.

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

But but but, St Maxi’s xG and xA shows he’s a nob, so Gordon-Barnes must be better for us 

(I totally agree with you btw - stats don’t show Maxi’s value. Perhaps opposition average position maps when they play is with Maxi would - defenders almost definitely deeper and midfield pulled apart as someone’s got to double up)

4 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

I don't think isak would have liked maxi going and he doesn't enjoy playing with Gordon or almiron. 

I just keep thinking back to that Southampton game at home where as soon as Gordon came off we scored 3 and could have scored 10. And the Aston villa game away where it was a reflection of this season's struggles 

Still think he's a good player, but right now just doesn't compliment what we had and the players that got us fourth 

Did you say you missed the first 15?  Weirdly, on the scraps we had.  They seemed to be linking up quite well early doors.  Bit off topic, but whilst I remember.  I also thought the press was there early on.  Then when Milan had their first chance, quickly followed by a couple more.  We seemed to drop off a yard or two.  Intentional, perhaps.  Maybe a sub-conscious thing as they were passing through us and beating the press easy enough or maybe some of them were blowing out of their arse.  As they did make the pitch massive and look to switch play a lot, especially through Maignan.