Anthony Gordon

Jack27

He definitely bought it, like. Punished the keeper for making a risky call to come out. One of those that you're absolutely fuming to give away but I don't think it's the wrong decision. If you just default to the 'anywhere else on the pitch' position I feel like you can't really argue. 

Our cunt. 

He bought the pen. Your taught to get your body between the defender and the ball and he did that. Stupid decision from the keeper, clever plylay from Gordon and in anyway not a pen for me.

But our goal also should have stood.

That aside Gordon is arguably our player of the season thus far.

4 minutes ago, McDog said:

I would agree except the keeper straight out took his legs out.

Nah. 

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

I think he pretty much dived into the keeper.

Yep.  He changes his body position to engineer the contact. If the ref hadn’t given it - VAR wouldn’t have overturned it. 

It’s smart play from Gordon and the ref bought it. He forced a decision and it went our way.  

But it wasn’t a pen. Ref was awful all game. 

3 minutes ago, Heron said:

He bought the pen. Your taught to get your body between the defender and the ball and he did that. Stupid decision from the keeper, clever plylay from Gordon and in anyway not a pen for me.

But our goal also should have stood.

That aside Gordon is arguably our player of the season thus far.

Agree with this fully.  The goal should’ve stood. Wilson didn’t do enough for it to be a foul.  

The second penalty was an awful decision too. 

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Nah. 

Yep.  He changes his body position to engineer the contact. If the ref hadn’t given it - VAR wouldn’t have overturned it. 

It’s smart play from Gordon and the ref bought it. He forced a decision and it went our way.  

But it wasn’t a pen. Ref was awful all game. 

Only looked at it during the game, but seemed like he was pushed by the defender slightly into the keeper?

Really still cannot work out how that is a penalty.  The ball was virtually over the line at contact point so he was hardly in control of it, or going to do anything with it without contact.

Will take it but would be mighty pissed off if that had gone against us.

10 minutes ago, Dan Gleebals said:

Really still cannot work out how that is a penalty.  The ball was virtually over the line at contact point so he was hardly in control of it, or going to do anything with it without contact.

Will take it but would be mighty pissed off if that had gone against us.

The ball was still in play, and the GK tackles Gordon without playing the ball nor getting anywhere near it.  Pretty much as obvious a foul as you’ll ever see

Whether or not it was a pen, it was still absolutely fucking ridiculous from their keeper and I’d be absolutely fuming at him if I was a Brentford fan.

Absolutely no need to even give the ref a decision to make.

38 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

If a player is shepherding the ball out of play and you go through the back of them it’s a foul. Same concept here, got his body between keeper and ball and got fouled. 

Go through the back of them is harsh though - his knee grazed Gordon’s thigh but we had a perfectly good goal disallowed so that’s that.

I thought he settled well on the right yesterday. His level of performance was as we have seen, dare I say are coming to except from him, on the left.

I also thought Barnes was beginning to find his groove on the left. I know the standard patter is having more than one option is a good problem to have, but part of our winning momentum last season—and perhaps for all effective teams—is having a settled team who ‘just know’ what each other are going to do; where there teammates are going to be. 

I wonder whether there is a way to add Miggy to the mix? His linkage with Tripps and Bruno is a great example of that tacit ‘just knowing’ which creates so many problems for opponents.  

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I wonder whether there is a way to add Miggy to the mix? His linkage with Tripps and Bruno is a great example of that tacit ‘just knowing’ which creates so many problems for opponents.  

Just let Gordon develop that understanding with them on the right. Love Miggy but having someone there with two feet would be a big upgrade. 

The chalked off goal and the penalty summed up the refs performance, he generally give freekicks for non fouls and then didn't give freekicks for fouls. 

If VAR looked at every decision he made throughout the whole 90 mins I'm not sure he would have got half of them correct .

Goal should have stood and not a pen. Tit for tat 

1 hour ago, CPL said:

It was definitely clever play by Gordon and if another top 6 team got that, we would be fuming. 

We will take it though. 

Realistically, a very large proportion of free kicks or pens are awarded through an attacker deliberately positioning himself so that a defender makes contact. The way our game is refereed, there is some responsibility on the defender not to be suckered into challenges where they don't get the ball. 

The issue of whether the contact is enough to cause a player to go down is a tricky one. We can't expect players to fight to stay on their feet, when the consequences of that temporary loss of balance or footwork is to lose the ball. 

I'm not sure whether the ball was still on the field when the foul was committed. Given that the whole of the ball has to have crossed the line, it probably was. But I'm not clear on what the correct decision would have been if the ball had crossed the line. Googling hasn't helped. Any refs out there?

8 hours ago, Jordan said:

Bruno’s today was pathetically immature. Didn’t get the foul he wanted so 10 seconds later goes and kicks the guy in front of the ref. 

I'd be looking at the incompetence of the referee more than bruno. If he'd give the blatant foul to start with he wouldn't have had to come back and make the necessary foul to get the yellow anyway. The foul needed to be made as well because they'd split our midfield

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Realistically, a very large proportion of free kicks or pens are awarded through an attacker deliberately positioning himself so that a defender makes contact. 

Disagree with this part. I think most fouls are giving when the defender mistimes the tackle coming across the attackers line and missing the ball.

I take your point though. The most recent example that comes to mind is when Jiminez ran through last year against Pope after a dodgy touch. That was more a penalty than yesterday despite him leaning in to make sure there was contact. 

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The ball was still in play, and the GK tackles Gordon without playing the ball nor getting anywhere near it.  Pretty much as obvious a foul as you’ll ever see

Exactly! you can tell who has never played 11 aside football at any level by the replies!