Anthony Gordon

Jack27

When a goalkeeper commits like that he has to get the ball. I don’t care where it is in the box, plenty of pens are given for fouls in the box that wouldn’t necessarily have led to a goal. See all the ones given for tussling, or handballs. I don’t see why we’re debating this to be honest.

Just now, AJ9 said:

When a goalkeeper commits like that he has to get the ball. I don’t care where it is in the box, plenty of pens are given for fouls in the box that wouldn’t necessarily have led to a goal. See all the ones given for tussling, or handballs. I don’t see why we’re debating this to be honest.

If the keeper clears for a throw-in and Gordon runs into him with the keeper going down like that, 9 times out of 10 it's pulled back for a free-kick. 

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

There’s no changing my opinion. Gordon is looking for a penalty. He engineers the contact.  Gk falls for it.  Ref falls for it. 

if it happened against us I’d be fuming. I’d also be disappointed that the GK have the ref a decision. 

Keeper didn’t fall for it he had already, foolishly, overcommitted. If he doesn’t lunge, Gordon may, or may not, have kept it in/created something. 

Smart play by Gordon as far as I am concerned.  I don't like it but this is modern football.  If we don't do it but the opponents do then we are leaving points on the table.  Up to the governing bodies to decide how they want the game to be played, not the ref, Eddie, Gordon or us as fans.  Have to extract everything you can.

6 hours ago, AJ9 said:

100%.  It is the 'Gordon wasn't going anywhere' part that is really head-scratching.  People seem to be getting confused between a penalty and a goalscoring opportunity (which can result in a red card).  Gordon was clearly fouled in the area = a penalty.  

7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Gordon has no intention of getting the ball. He’s trying to get a pen. 

Even Shearer admitted it was super soft.  I’ll take it. But that’s one that’s gone in our favour. 

Shearer is very much in the 'I know sod all about the laws of the game, so I'll describe my opinions as common sense' camp of British PFM punditry.

He doesn't change the direction of his run, just turns his body which looks worse but would have been wiped out regardless. He could easily have avoided it of course but shouldn't.

Keeper unlucky as the defender put him under pressure with the back pass...

14 hours ago, AJ9 said:

Couldn't agree more.  I was seething at Alan Shearer on Match of the Day.

Gordon is very quickly becoming a favourite of mine. He just needs to stop with the reckless challenges so often. He'll get himself sent off soon if he's not careful. Been lucky on more than one occasion this season already.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

It's clumsy for from the keeper. He does try to pull out but Gordon shifts his body to ensure contact is made. It's not s penalty for me, but Wilson's goal should have stood.

Hello Alan.

One of the first names on the sheet. Happy for him.

One thing I like about him is that he's a bit "inevitable". I don't think he's yet put himself together as a player. But he's got so many positive attributes as a player that I know in any given hour of football, he'll do something very positive. Which I don't get from most of our other wingers.

11 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

Smart play by Gordon as far as I am concerned.  I don't like it but this is modern football.  If we don't do it but the opponents do then we are leaving points on the table.  Up to the governing bodies to decide how they want the game to be played, not the ref, Eddie, Gordon or us as fans.  Have to extract everything you can.

They could change the foul rules so it can't be a free kick or penalty if the attacking player initiates the contact. So many now for attackers stepping away from the ball and into the defender. 

Trying to pull out of a challenge is irrelevant if you don't manage to do so [emoji38]

I think the penalty rules are shite, but as Gordon was clearly fouled in the box the fact there's a conversation around it is mad. The refs made some daft shite up about 'inevitable collisions' or something after the Tottenham v Brentford match, which doesn't even make sence in the context of either Gordon's penalty, or the one Brentford were robbed of against Tottenham.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

9 minutes ago, Bondedcrown said:

He was pushed forward by the defender? He doesn't have to move to help the keeper He only keeps himself between the ball and the keeper who then initiates contact? Also the Linesman had the best view and he told the ref?

Aye, I initially thought he'd given it because of the shove from the defender.

2 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Think he’s got the look in his eye of a guys absolutely determined to succeed, with the wealth these lads get so young that’s not always a given.

Aye, he’s got something in him where he’s desperate to prove people wrong or prove himself generally. He will love to throw it back in Everton’s face