Anthony Gordon: named NUFC Player of the Season (Official)

Jack27

On 18/09/2023 at 10:14, AyeDubbleYoo said:

They could change the foul rules so it can't be a free kick or penalty if the attacking player initiates the contact. So many now for attackers stepping away from the ball and into the defender. 

That would bring into question a lot of free kicks which currently get given all over the pitch. I imagine it would be a nightmare for refs and VAR to judge with any consistency.

I don't see a viable alternative to the current situation, whereby it's the responsibility of the defender putting in the challenge to make sure they get the ball. 

Like others, I'm a bit surprised at the 'controversy' over the Gordon penalty. Within the current interpretations of the law, that challenge is a foul.

I would have some sympathy with Brentford over the Tottenham decision though. I think it wasn't given because the attacker was able to put in an attempt at goal, and the collision was then defined as an accidental clash after a phase of play had ended. If the attacker had tried to get round the keeper and then been clattered, it would have been a pen. All that doesn't feel right, and there needs to be some clarification by those in charge.

I know it’s been said before but I love the way his first touch is always positive, moving it away from the defender rather than just getting under control. Quite often takes a player out instantly then he’s passing or on the move

He lacked fitness when he came in, which is staggering as he was probably evertons fittest player. The backroom have sorted that out with him which allows him to be a 90min option. 

He had a few attitude issues which seem to have disappeared. That's on him. 

Now it's all about making the right decisions at key moments, which is improving massively and will continue to do so over the coming years.

His drive and pace were his standout attributes when we bought him and now other areas are catching up he's becoming a more complete player. Unlucky to have not scored and assisted more this season, but it'll come. 

46 minutes ago, Dokko said:

He lacked fitness when he came in, which is staggering as he was probably evertons fittest player. The backroom have sorted that out with him which allows him to be a 90min option. 

He had a few attitude issues which seem to have disappeared. That's on him. 

Now it's all about making the right decisions at key moments, which is improving massively and will continue to do so over the coming years.

His drive and pace were his standout attributes when we bought him and now other areas are catching up he's becoming a more complete player. Unlucky to have not scored and assisted more this season, but it'll come. 

Yeah it’s great watching him growing into his best.

What I love about him succeeding here is the connection to Rafa putting him in the first team at Everton. I watched a handful of games when Rafa managed there and it was evident the kid was a raw talent. Gordon and Richarlison were the only players with positive influence on the pitch. i remember discussing with the Everton lads who used to post on here how Gordon wasn't intimidated by the pace of the game or more imposing senior players getting in his face image.thumb.png.07b66da8af7645b1d6cf15c13f2d8080.png :lol: . To go from this image, to him arguably being our best player so far this year is unbelievable. 

I've loved this signing from the beginning and I can't wait to see him lift us a trophy and he will, I'm sure of it.

He got a bit sloppy and we stopped using him as an outlet as much for a bit which was a shame as, at about 10 mins, he skinned their RB twice (poor cross in though) after being found with a diagonal. I thought we'd do that a little more once the RB got his yellow but it didn't happen.

Feels like we're still learning how best to use him.

5 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Thought he was poor again. He's not working in that role at the minute, as his first touch and passing is letting him down the majority of the time.

Huh? Poor again? He's been our best player this season, and has for the most part been quality, and easily our best attacker. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

What does Howe want him to do?

Has Howe shagged you cat or something, you seem to have a right hard on for questioning literally everything he's doing at the moment :lol: 

11 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Thought he was poor again. He's not working in that role at the minute, as his first touch and passing is letting him down the majority of the time.

Not enough end product for me, looked great at home against Liverpool for a spell but anonymous away from home for me this season.

Jury is absolutely out on him and Barnes, not sure it was worth sacrificing a talent like St Max to accommodate both of them.

Where really missing some unpredictability and X factor going forward this season.

19 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Not enough end product for me, looked great at home against Liverpool for a spell but anonymous away from home for me this season.

Jury is absolutely out on him and Barnes, not sure it was worth sacrificing a talent like St Max to accommodate both of them.

Where really missing some unpredictability and X factor going forward this season.

6 games into the season