Anthony Gordon

Jack27

6 minutes ago, 80 said:

Steady on... He's a lot more than that. Part of what's good about him is I think he's one of the players that will find a way to play and adapt to his circumstances as his career develops. He'll be evolving when he's 31 where others never change after 21.

I mean yeah, if you take away his work rate and off the ball intelligence it would damage him badly, but you're talking about a different player at that point.

He could adapt of course (though no guarantee he would either), but I was talking about the player he is today.

Struggling to get his head around where to be as a centre forward at times today, not attacking the box. Keeps instinctively reverting to his AM role.

9 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

His first touch and technique is a real barrier to him being a genuine top level player. Absolutely rancid at key moments today.

He's a winger not a striker!

Guest reefatoon
Just now, Beth said:

He's a winger not a striker!

These kinds of things never stop the Egberts having a good 90 minute moan.

When he was slipped through in the second half he should have just chipped the keeper, instead he tried to go round and his poor touch closed the distance and allowed the goalie to block.

I understand why he played as a striker today. Having said that he MUST start on the left every single time unless an extremely forced situation. I don’t get why we signed Barnes at all, especially at the stage we are at as a club. Mistake imo. (Not because Barnes is a bad player). Weird priority. 

25 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I understand why he played as a striker today. Having said that he MUST start on the left every single time unless an extremely forced situation. I don’t get why we signed Barnes at all, especially at the stage we are at as a club. Mistake imo. (Not because Barnes is a bad player). Weird priority. 

Originally I imagined we were going for two interchangeable starting elevens to handle the strain of four competitions. Gordon in Milan on Wednesday, Barnes for Forest on Saturday kind of thing. But Eddie's selection policy, even before the injury crisis, seemed to knock that out of the park.

I thought Gordon had as good game today, fwiw. Just not the game we needed, but I can't hold it against him. I think with a bit more experience he would come good in that position, but he's just not trained for it in a long time.

3 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Seeing that chance again that Almiron put him through for...should have scored 1 v 1 with the keeper basically.

Jackson did similar just before for chelsea. It's going around.

I still thought he was head and shoulders our most threatening player today. He's about the only positive thing getting me through this sticky patch.

25 minutes ago, STM said:

I still thought he was head and shoulders our most threatening player today. He's about the only positive thing getting me through this sticky patch.

This , he was comfortably our best player today despite being played out of position.

Rare that you see a player actually develop into the player they are actually supposed to be.

He was an erratic, scribbler who had promise, he's now a fully blown quality PL wide player and there's so much more to come.

If we can have him in a fully functioning side next year I'd fancy him to go even further.

Can't remember the last time we actually signed a young player with potential and helped them flourish.

If Southgate doesn't take him in the summer, he wants shot. Even as a sub he could win us a game.

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Thought he was the only attacker for us who looked any sort of threat

Definitely the pick of the bunch despite the hash made of the one on one.

8 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

Imagine him surrounded by a full squad  Tonali, Willock, Big Joe, Bruno, Isak… mouth watering. That’s before we get into new signings in the summer. He’s going to be outrageous 

Even now as an unfinished player, and with key injuries, he will probably finish the season with 20 goal contributions. Fucking hell, this kid could be something else!