Anthony Gordon

Jack27

He wouldn’t even play if he went with the team. Would be great for him and his confidence but couldn’t be a worse time in terms of him needing a rest 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

He wouldn’t even play if he went with the team. Would be great for him and his confidence but couldn’t be a worse time in terms of him needing a rest 

Having the England medical staff might look after him for a week. 

4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

No Grealish, it opens the door. Can see him playing at least last 30 in one of the games. 

55 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Some players seemingly always avoid injury. I had semi pegged Gordon in that bracket. 

saka and Fernandes never seem to get tired or injured for example. Even Messi and Ronaldo never seemed to get injured as often as you might expect. 

Edit: Ronaldo has 16 seasons playing 40+ games a season. 15+ 30 league appearance seasons in Europe.

It’s definitely genetic, some people just don’t get injured no matter how much load they put on their bodies. We are lucky that some of our most important players like Bruno, Gordon and Schär seem to be like that. I know Bruno had ankle problems but that was just bad luck.

Edited by Pata

16 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Yeah, I would be happy if he gets chosen as a reward for his form over the season. He’s not going to play 2 full 90 minutes in any case and there wouldn’t really be that much more strain put on his body compared to if he stays with our group. Just the mental boost he would gain would IMO make it worth it.

Why are some of the greats just magnified in all sports? their durability - MJ, Lebron, Messi, Ronaldo, Federer, Novak, Tom Brady. etc etc etc

17 minutes ago, Pata said:

It’s definitely genetic, some people just don’t get injured no matter how much load they put on their bodies. We are lucky that some of our most important players like Bruno, Gordon and Schär seem to be like that. I know Bruno had ankle problems but that was just bad luck.

Tbf all those years of growth hormones probably helped Messi out too.

18 minutes ago, Pata said:

Jinxed it now.

44 minutes ago, Pata said:

I think a lot of it is down to mentality and professionalism.  Wanting to be fit and wanting to play and train all the time makes a massive difference.  Mentality and physiology are in the same box. 

Generally I think slender and less muscular physiques are also less prone to injury.  I don’t think original Ronaldo had the best professionalism for example.  But more than anything he had so much power and strength + agility something was likely to happen. But if he was as professional as Cristiano with that mindset he wouldn’t have had such bad injuries imo. 

Disagree in general. There are obviously a lot of things you can do to look after yourself and it will catch up with you if you treat your body like shit for years. However, there’s enormous amount of luck related to injuries and some people are just way more susceptible to things than others. Ledley King, Callum Wilson to an extent, Michael Johnson was ruined by injuries at an early age. Not sure if that sent him into a bad place or whether he’d already been there. Whether you get a hamstring injury, muscle injury, ligament injury is largely out of your control for most footballers I’d say. The vast majority will be looking after their bodies as best they can 

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Why are some of the greats just magnified in all sports? their durability - MJ, Lebron, Messi, Ronaldo, Federer, Novak, Tom Brady. etc etc etc

Jimmy Anderson! (Broken back in first 2 years, ever-present the rest)

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I think a lot of it is down to mentality and professionalism.  Wanting to be fit and wanting to play and train all the time makes a massive difference.  Mentality and physiology are in the same box. 

Generally I think slender and less muscular physiques are also less prone to injury.  I don’t think original Ronaldo had the best professionalism for example.  But more than anything he had so much power and strength + agility something was likely to happen. But if he was as professional as Cristiano with that mindset he wouldn’t have had such bad injuries imo. 

Lifestyle aswell. Diet, alchohol comsumption, etc. Andy Carroll didn't do himself much good on that part.

Edited by Erikse

Tbh it's extremely important that our players get international recognition if they deserve it, otherwise they might consider they need a move in order to achieve it. Depressing but I think it's true. I'm a bit relieved every time Bruno plays for Brazil, for instance.

Agree on Gordon needing the rest but it'll be better for us in the long run if he gets a call up. He'd probably only feature from the bench if at all.