Anthony Gordon

Jack27

They'll be big favourites to get to the final given they have already beaten Israel 2-0 in the group stage. Not sure if would have been better for Newcastle for him to have lost today and be back with us a week sooner, or to potentially get 2 more games in and come back with more confidence, but now they are in the semi finals with a very winnable match it clearly will be better for him to hopefully go on and win it.

France a goal up on Ukraine and look set to face Spain in the other semi final, and will still be the team to beat.

2 hours ago, Viana said:

Joelinton comparisons feel spot on to me. 

Gordon has shown he's quite versatile and adaptable. Now it's about that skillset being applied to a particular role. Lee Carsley - England U21s manager - seems to have figured out what that role is. I think after watching him for six months, his upsides are that he can press quite relentlessly, carries it well, and can take up good positions. He's not blessed with a variety of tricks, but he's direct and that fits our system quite well. He'll be challenged when we come up against deep blocks, but even saying that he always looks keen to play quick combinations. 

Me and my mate said exactly this more or less word-for-word after the Leeds game. I struggle to see him as a winger because he doesn't beat a man and nor is he blessed with the crossing ability of a Solano or a Robert.

But I can see him rotating with Tonali or Longstaff as a right-sided number 8 and doing very well.

I think there’s a good footballer there in Gordon.  The lad’s had half a season having left a shitshow at Everton. His comments re fitness made sense to me in terms of how badly we were managed by Bruce - it took Howe & his team a few months for their training and fitness regimes to start reaping rewards from the squad (by the end of Jan last year there were voices saying Howe had failed).

We’ll know if the lad has been a successful signing in around two or three seasons time - he deserves patience. 

24 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I can remember really rating him at one point, despite thinking he was an angry little twat. I think the latter bit was youth plus trying to show something for a shit Everton team.

The way he played against Liverpool at Anfield one year was the only time when I thought there’s a real top player in there. Admittedly I never watched him that much for Everton so I wasn’t sure what we were buying.

It’s the price tag that has made us all think harder about what he actually offers and that’s been a bit unfair, especially since we’ve signed some elite level players for in and around his fee

I think the "struggle" he has had this year has humbled him a bit. I feel like he had a bit of an attitude when coming in, which has been fading away, and hes determined to work hard to deserve his spot in the team. The attitude is something that gets better with age and experience.

So does anyone think he might be used as an option for the right side forward this season to displace Almiron/Murphy? Must admit I never really considered it previously as I saw him being used mostly to alternate with ASM last season but @LFEE seems to think he is a viable option for the right wing. Does that mean Howe won't think a Diaby type of signing is a priority?

41 minutes ago, TRon said:

So does anyone think he might be used as an option for the right side forward this season to displace Almiron/Murphy? Must admit I never really considered it previously as I saw him being used mostly to alternate with ASM last season but @LFEE seems to think he is a viable option for the right wing. Does that mean Howe won't think a Diaby type of signing is a priority?

Yeh of course. Played there a bunch for Everton. Also an option at ST and 8.  

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Yeh of course. Played there a bunch for Everton. Also an option at ST and 8.  

So would you say that a right sided forward isn't really a priority in the transfer market?

23 minutes ago, TRon said:

So would you say that a right sided forward isn't really a priority in the transfer market?

I don’t rate Gordon like that. I would stil sign that Amad Diallo kid.  

But on paper Joe and ASM left.  Almiron and Gordon right. If we had some more creativity at CM I wouldn’t be mad. But in reality I want another RW. 

16 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don’t rate Gordon like that. I would stil sign that Amad Diallo kid.  

But on paper Joe and ASM left.  Almiron and Gordon right. If we had some more creativity at CM I wouldn’t be mad. But in reality I want another RW. 

Same. While I've always backed Gordon even before his goals in the U-21 tournament, I still think we need some proven quality down the right. Only because I haven't seen enough of what Gordon will produce in that position.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Same. While I've always backed Gordon even before his goals in the U-21 tournament, I still think we need some proven quality down the right. Only because I haven't seen enough of what Gordon will produce in that position.

With Tonali's arrival and Gordon hopefully getting up to speed It's a pity Maddison didn't want to come, if he had the entire midfield five spots would have been well covered for the next 2 or 3 seasons.