Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Not watched him play up front for England much, given it’s only been a handful of minutes but I don’t see him as a forward, certainly not a target man or against low blocks. He’s also not ever going to be a great dribbler so he’s not going to be an elite winger. He does have great pace and he can strike off both feet so I think I see him as someone who drifts in and uses his pace to run onto lofted balls and through balls. I think he’ll get goals that way. 

Apart from rotation and injuries inside the squad, it's a bit difficult to fit Gordon into our team as a striker or nr. 8. I'm hoping that he will shine as a winger, because that's what we need. But ofcourse, having the ability to do a job in several positions is very nice.

Edited by Erikse

Watched the game on the UEFA.tv app (if you haven't got it yet download it for free, it's the only way to watch the U21 final). Gordon was outstanding. More desire, aggression, pace than anyone on the pitch. Suited the centre forward role perfectly! We've got a real prospect for the future in this lad!

3 minutes ago, prefabtoon said:

Watched the game on the UEFA.tv app (if you haven't got it yet download it for free, it's the only way to watch the U21 final). Gordon was outstanding. More desire, aggression, pace than anyone on the pitch. Suited the centre forward role perfectly! We've got a real prospect for the future in this lad!

Good to hear. I hope he comes good this season. Has he played centre forward all tournament?

10 hours ago, Caleb70 said:

Good to hear. I hope he comes good this season. Has he played centre forward all tournament?

Pretty much. He's played very well. Him and MWG the pick of the crop. 

2 minutes ago, Lish007 said:

Pretty much. He's played very well. Him and MWG the pick of the crop. 

Hopefully this will boost his confidence going into the upcoming season.

7 minutes ago, Caleb70 said:

Hopefully this will boost his confidence going into the upcoming season.

Think him getting in a proper pre season and being up to our fitness standards is the most important thing.

Would be a welcome surprise if we suddenly had a Wilson successor on our hands to compete with/cover for Isak. Love Wilson, but doubt he'll last much longer than this season.

12 hours ago, prefabtoon said:

He did ok but didn’t really stand out. Didn’t help him ESR kept delaying the forward pass which would’ve released him. Would’ve been nice if he’d put away his one big chance just before being subbed. Will do him good to learn this new role so he becomes more flexible in his play. Main thing is he doesn’t pick up a daft injury. 

18 hours ago, gbandit said:

Not watched him play up front for England much, given it’s only been a handful of minutes but I don’t see him as a forward, certainly not a target man or against low blocks. He’s also not ever going to be a great dribbler so he’s not going to be an elite winger. He does have great pace and he can strike off both feet so I think I see him as someone who drifts in and uses his pace to run onto lofted balls and through balls. I think he’ll get goals that way. 

He's already 22 but you would think his game will change once he adds some strength. I thought he might be a decent CF with some strength.

He carries the ball well but he's not a dribbler 1v1 at all. Some of that might be down to confidence.

Atm he's a long way short physically of where we would like him to be.

I've got hope for the lad but so far his signing asks more questions than provides answers. Is he our upcoming right winger? If so.. do we spend big money on another? I guess not. Is he our upcoming left-winger? If so... feels like he's a long way to go to get that shirt from Joe & ASM.

When is the final?

Btw I'm glad I never ridiculed the MGW transfer to Forest. Looks solid value for money. I would like to see if he could play as an #8, he seems to mostly play off a striker.

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

He's already 22 but you would think his game will change once he adds some strength. I thought he might be a decent CF with some strength.

He carries the ball well but he's not a dribbler 1v1 at all. Some of that might be down to confidence.

Atm he's a long way short physically of where we would like him to be.

I've got hope for the lad but so far his signing asks more questions than provides answers. Is he our upcoming right winger? If so.. do we spend big money on another? I guess not. Is he our upcoming left-winger? If so... feels like he's a long way to go to get that shirt from Joe & ASM.

When is the final?

Btw I'm glad I never ridiculed the MGW transfer to Forest. Looks solid value for money. I would like to see if he could play as an #8, he seems to mostly play off a striker.

My concern with Gordon is I think you’ll lose something from him if over-coached the same as I see with ASM. Could be wrong but seems to suite playing with instinct and a bit of an edge which again I hope we don’t smooth out of him.