Anthony Gordon

Jack27

18 hours ago, Rod said:

Two tackles that were totally blown out of proportion by the commentators.  He's just a poor tackler, no malice or intent whatsoever.

Some berk at the Guardian said we could have finished with "nine players".

I reckon some of it will be Liverpool bias in commentators willing our players to be sent off to even up the Mac Allister red.

On 19/08/2023 at 23:09, The College Dropout said:

Thought he was poor. But had no help. Maybe lucky not to get sent off. 

I think with the second foul the ref was exercising the unspoken principle that a foul for a second booking needs to be a bit more serious than for the first.

It's usual practice and I've no problem with it. Eddie was wise to take him off shortly after.

On his general play, I think his first touch isn't great and he needs a bit of time and space in which to make use of his pace and change of direction. He may be better used against a weaker team, and Anderson could be the better option against the stronger ones.

Edited by Cronky

Today's stat of the day is that Gordon leads the league in being fouled. Nine times so far, once every fifteen minutes. Bruno is second. Gordon's been called for second most fouls too, but just five. Stats from fbref.

gordon.thumb.jpg.fd454a97a12bc46abf47cd72253a92b9.jpg

Some fans make claims about Gordon's temperament, but he's in the wars all the time and mostly on the receiving end. I'm sure Liverpool will kick him and try to get into his head at the weekend, they did it before when he was at Everton. That season, 21-22, he ended up seventh most fouled player in the league in just 25 games' worth of minutes.

Just now, Skeletor said:

I hope he'll be the nasty Gordon in this one. The one who constantly gets fouled, feigns injuries, gets their players booked and generally winds them up.

lets out-scouse them.

18 hours ago, huss9 said:

lets out-scouse them.

We’ve got exactly the same amount of scousers in our first team as they do. For a club that is supposedly prides itself on being the heart of the community they have a criminal lack local players. 

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that they have been quite close at times to breaching the homegrown rules (possibly in Europe). 

Slight deviation but related, TransferMarkt stats actually show that we were the only club in the league that gave more than 50% of total minutes to domestic players.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/legionaereeinsaetze/wettbewerb/GB1/plus/?option=spiele&saison_id=2022&altersklasse=alle