Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

Weren’t Liverpool bankrolled by the Moores family in the 70’s and 80’s?

Liverpool spent the equivalent of £250m in 3 years to get promoted from the old second division in the early 60's - As a division 2 side going nowhere they splashed £37.5k on Ian St John and another £30k on Ron Yeats when the british record Transfer fee was £50k - That's around £135-140m in todays money spent on two players and in an age where there was no real sponsorship of big TV deals - but no they we're "never" bankrolled as a club (as was put to me today by a Liverpool fan on Twatter) :icon_scratch: 

Edited by Mag3.14

1 minute ago, Mag3.14 said:

Liverpool spent the equivalent of £250m in 3 years to get promoted from the old second division in the early 70's - As a division 2 side going nowhere they splashed £37.5k on Ian St John and another £30k on Ron Yeats when the british record Transfer fee was £50k - That's around £135-140m in todays money spent on two players and in an age where there was no real sponsorship of big TV deals - but no they we're "never" bankrolled as a club (as was put to me today by a Liverpool fan on Twatter) :icon_scratch: 

That was the early 60’s not the 70’s although I agree, they were bankrolled by the Moores.

2 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

That was the early 60’s not the 70’s although I agree, they were bankrolled by the Moores.

Correct, typo - I have fat fingers :D

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

To their credit Arsenal have won league titles in 7 different decades. And several different managers.

Outside of Busby and Ferguson Man Utd have only won 2 league titles - both in the early 1900s.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Football rules re transfer fees would have a good chance of running aground vs employment law.  There’s lots of elements which run contrary to likely adjudication, but are left in place because to remove them would likely cause chaos.

I don’t want unfettered capitalism to ruin the game.  I also don’t think most NUFC fans are arguing for this other than their own self-interest.

Chelsea and Man City escalated fees and wages with their OTT spending sprees.  FFP is a good thing - but it needs reform and needs to be independent of the PL.  Out of control spending damages the game all the way down - it pulls up drawbridges and causes clubs to go ‘pop’ if they dare to try and compete - which is the entire purpose of a sport. 

transfer fees etc went through the courts with Bosman didnt they?

the get around is that the transfer fee is for the registration and not the player. Would it be modern slavery if you were physically trading and loaning players?

you probably could find a restraint of trade argument if a player was not actively involved in first team football but it would be a very messy bowl of spaghetti to work through.

I actually believe that you should be able to trigger a release of your contract (ie buy it out for its remaining value) if you do not play in a certain % of games when available for selection

6 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Can't see our owners throwing money into our club just for the sake of. They are here to make a profit or take over a chunk of the PL or both

Here’s to make a profit!!! The money they’ve spent on us is absolute peanuts, loose change to them and the profits you make at any PL club would hardly register on PIF’s balance sheets, these people consider profits in the hundreds may billions of $

FMV is a complete red herring, it’s meaningless. It’s only relevant because of flawed FFP rules. It it literally expressed to stop an owner funding a team so that they might get anywhere close to an established team. 

3 hours ago, FloydianMag said:

And if FFP had been around then you’d have Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal cleaning up every season…..so no sporting competition really is there.

All the grimmer for factoring in how many thrilling title races that those sides did win would have been unmemorable saunters without Blackburn, Chelsea, Man City. 

• 2 weeks later...

If they don't throw book at them and is light punishment it really opens floodgates doesn't it for clubs that can to just spend and pay any fine. Points deduction is surely only way to enforce this

12 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Let's hope both of those clubs have the fucking book thrown at them (it won't be).

They kind of have to. If it's just a fine then it sets a precedent for clubs like us who would happily break the rules if it was just a fine we had to pay.

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

If Everton are found guilty then surely because of their previous breaches, the punishment will be worse?

It might just relegate the fuckers.

I wonder if it's a points deduction on top of the current 10 or would it get delayed until next season

Either way, tough times ahead for Everton

Also, think this is a sensible warning for those amongst us that say we should sod FFP and just deal with it later, I think I much prefer the approach the club are taking 

:lol:

Some of City's charges date back 15 years to 2009 but still no decisions, yet Everton been done twice since covid. They are the perfect club for PL to throw the book at as a warning to clubs like us and villa etc. Big, established PL club but not one of the 'entitled 6'. 

Edited by Pokerprince2004

1 minute ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

:lol:

Some of City's charges date back 15 years to 2009 but still no decisions, yet Everton been done twice since covid. They are the perfect club for PL to throw the book at as a warning to clubs like us and villa etc. Big, established PL club but not one of the 'entitled 6'. 

Chelsea haven’t breached the rules as yet though.

Their problems are coming further down the line - shitloads on amortised contracts for players who aren’t worth close to what they paid for them.  Their wriggle-room will end quickly; they also can’t be finishing mid table forever or else those lucrative commercials start to become less lucrative 

4 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I wonder if it's a points deduction on top of the current 10 or would it get delayed until next season

Either way, tough times ahead for Everton

Also, think this is a sensible warning for those amongst us that say we should sod FFP and just deal with it later, I think I much prefer the approach the club are taking 

It will be dealt with this season. They introduced new rules which state that it has to have an outcome within something like 3 months.

City's punishment might be huge, could even be a Rangers scenario, if Pep leaves at the end of this season we'll know why. Either the big 6 will be punished or FFP will be challenged in court.