Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

15 hours ago, brummie said:

We've already binned 40m of home grown in this year, and we didn't spend hugely over last summer in any case, so I'd expect this one to be a lower loss (also as it will include more prize money and tv cash plus the UEFA stuff - 12m plus tv money share if we were to win it, 6m on our progress so far).

I really don't know what will transpire, but I think we are currently prob in a better place than you are, because we've got plenty of high value assets on the squad, many of whom are 'pure profit' as they've been here so long - Luiz, Konsa, Watkins (I think), McGinn, and Kamara and Tielemans who were free transfers, plus Ramsey. I wouldn't want to sell any, but I suspect we will - just to create some wriggle room (NB in the next financial year, ie next season). 

Conference league is not really worth it for the money. For the experience to the fans it is great of course. Extra travel and other costs and most likely some sort of bonuses for players if you manage to do well there. So I wouldn't count much for it.

But the problem is next year for you. Extra games because of the UCL and quite a thin squad but with limited ability to invest. I would guess you sell one of the bigger names and get 3-4 in his place.

3 hours ago, KingArthur said:

Conference league is not really worth it for the money. For the experience to the fans it is great of course. Extra travel and other costs and most likely some sort of bonuses for players if you manage to do well there. So I wouldn't count much for it.

But the problem is next year for you. Extra games because of the UCL and quite a thin squad but with limited ability to invest. I would guess you sell one of the bigger names and get 3-4 in his place.

Its £10m-£12m if you win it and we'd expect to be one of the favourites for that. It may not be much, but it is one years amortised value of a £40m-£50m player.

6 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Its £10m-£12m if you win it and we'd expect to be one of the favourites for that. It may not be much, but it is one years amortised value of a £40m-£50m player.

And also, lest we forget now that football is a sport and not accountancy, which is easy to do in the current set up, it's a trophy.

I can guarantee, if we win it, I won't be wasting a second thinking about how much it would impact the accounts.

10 hours ago, KingArthur said:

I actually don't think we have that thin a squad - we've been unlucky to lose two of our most important players for the entire season, and have suffered three ACLs in the period since just before the first match - but yeah, it'll need more coverage. Losing Mings, Buendia and Kamara is a massive blow.

Certainly, some of the back up players need to be moved on and improved, and we definitely need a right back, and maybe two.

Anyway, let's see, to expand on the above post re trophies, it's winning trophies and qualifying for Europe in the first place that matter.

4 minutes ago, brummie said:

I actually don't think we have that thin a squad - we've been unlucky to lose two of our most important players for the entire season, and have suffered three ACLs in the period since just before the first match - but yeah, it'll need more coverage. Losing Mings, Buendia and Kamara is a massive blow.

Certainly, some of the back up players need to be moved on and improved, and we definitely need a right back, and maybe two.

Anyway, let's see, to expand on the above post re trophies, it's winning trophies and qualifying for Europe in the first place that matter.

Surely you have no decent cover for Watkins? Your central defence is strong, but I would say you need 2-3 decent additions. Diaby has been a bit disappointing, I expected more from him.

You have been unlucky with those bad injuries, and it is not certain they will be back as good as they were. Lenglet and Zaniolo were loans right? So Mings and Buendia cover those.

A striker, yes, fair point, I don't think Duran alone is enough to rely on. I also actually have a feeling we might sell him. Emery unimpressed allegedly.

And yes Lenglet and Zaniolo going back (thank god in the case of Zaniolo who has been terrible, there's surely no way we trigger his buy option). Lenglet has been alright though.

Defence - LB - Digne and Moreno, CB - Pau, Mings, Carlos, Konsa, RB - new starter signing, Cash.

A better back up to Martinez would be good too.

Mind you, I have just heard Jacob Ramsey has re-broken his foot and is going to miss the first month of next season as well, which is a massive kick in the balls.

Edited by brummie

3 hours ago, brummie said:

And also, lest we forget now that football is a sport and not accountancy, which is easy to do in the current set up, it's a trophy.

I can guarantee, if we win it, I won't be wasting a second thinking about how much it would impact the accounts.

I agree 100%, and that's from an accountant!

I hate the focus on FFP, amortisation and even all the detailed stats that get discussed around things. Its 90 mins of entertainment where I will enjoy a game or not, nothing more and nothing less.

If we won the Conference League I couldn't give a toss on the money, as you say its a trophy and the cumulation of a season of hard work, ups and downs. I was just responding to the point on value made above my post

14 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I agree 100%, and that's from an accountant!

I hate the focus on FFP, amortisation and even all the detailed stats that get discussed around things. Its 90 mins of entertainment where I will enjoy a game or not, nothing more and nothing less.

If we won the Conference League I couldn't give a toss on the money, as you say its a trophy and the cumulation of a season of hard work, ups and downs. I was just responding to the point on value made above my post

Abso fucking lutely. Hate how the average football fan has to be a fucking accountant (no offence mate :lol:) to just be able to follow their team nowadays. Actually I've found myself much less interested in transfers these days, find the whole thing to be an utter bore having to read all the FFP and financial aspects of each transfer. 

As an aside, winning the Conference League still gives you a fair amount of Coefficient points as well, we all know we certainly could have needed a few of them for our CL draw this season. 

How is it only £90m when they spent over £500m on players, even Werner was sold at a book loss so next to nowt coming in other than CL income to the Qtrs in a dismal season for them.

1 minute ago, Fezzle said:

How is it only £90m when they spent over £500m on players, even Werner was sold at a book loss so next to nowt coming in other than CL income to the Qtrs in a dismal season for them.

It’s likely the period when they were given 8 year contracts and stretching out the amortisation. 

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

It’s likely the period when they were given 8 year contracts and stretching out the amortisation. 

Shit aye, forgot they took the piss on those

It is entirely possible that this season ends without the Everton and Forest cases being resolved, which could mean that a ruling relegates one of them after the season. And then Leicester could get promoted and begin the PL season in August with negative points. Such a mess.

14 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

What even is the point anymore 

Welcome to cartel football, the beautiful game!

The Athletic article about Leicester suggested that if they get promoted they'd just get a fine, presumably because de-promoting them via a points deduction could be messy?

Having said that, they'd still have to fall in line with the PLs rules when they came up so who knows :dontknow:

18 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

What even is the point anymore 

Its getting ridiculous now, more and more clubs impacted. But Leicester is a good one as Lineker will be pissed off and hopefully very vocal about on social media where he has loads of followers. His tweets might even make the front page of the Daily Mail! 

8 minutes ago, 500bhp said:

Its getting ridiculous now, more and more clubs impacted. But Leicester is a good one as Lineker will be pissed off and hopefully very vocal about on social media where he has loads of followers. His tweets might even make the front page of the Daily Mail! 

Yeah I get what you're claiming, however, it's just stupid now, promoted/demoted. 

It's like wasting an entire season, and then doing it all over.

Just get this shit regulated property. The Premier league need to be investigated. 

I think some bigwigs at the PL and top 6 clubs will be getting very uncomfortable with all this noise. There's some emails/letters/texts out there that could be very damaging for themselves and who they work for.

If they had any sense they would lighten the rules so it swiftly goes away and nothing gets investigated but they are truly to greedy and that greed will get the better of them.

Evidence was very close to coming out during our takeover. And with hindsight it's plain to see who and why they were making it drag on for so long. It got passed through but they've constantly been putting up barriers ever since.

I'm sure it will all come crashing down one way or another.

Re the new adjusted rules; for us I think the most damaging thing is putting the onus on clubs to justify that commercial deals are at fair market value, rather than the PL having to prove they weren't.

Each football club is unique - the reasons sponsors might invest and what they want to get for it differs.

I have no idea how the PL could have proved what was or wasn't FMV, which wouldn't be open to challenge. Likewise, knowing what a range of sponsors, say, had offered (per the supposed database they were building up) was always pure nonsense.

Let's say Saudi wants to improve it's reputation with it's companies wanting to associate themselves with a PIF owned club. Regardless of whether you think that's palatable, what's the fair market value of that? If we'd made that case, how would the PL have disproved it?

I think flipping the burden of proof to the club was the only way they were going to get out of the stupid situation they'd put themselves in previously. And makes it all the more obvious who they were aiming this at. The PL are politically inept and have tied themselves in knots ever since this whole saga started.