Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

1 minute ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I want us to go full Man City 2008, couldn’t care less.

Yeah let them (big six) face the full reality of their nightmares, asap for me. I’m sure character of players should and will be key. Let’s bring it! [emoji38]

There's somewhere in between where we currently are and us spending 100x the amount of the next club below us that I'd like us to occupy tbh. I would genuinely hate it if we bought the league and would much rather the likes of us, Villa, Leicester, West Ham etc were just able to genuinely compete without on one hand risking the existence of the club and on the other hand completely taking the piss and it meaning nothing. 

I just want us to be able to build a squad that will keep momentum and encourage our best players to stick around without having to keep cheap squad players around that aren't good enough anymore. I don't necessarily want us to suddenly go full City, but the way these arbitrary rules have hamstrung us up til now is ridiculous.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

There's somewhere in between where we currently are and us spending 100x the amount of the next club below us that I'd like us to occupy tbh. I would genuinely hate it if we bought the league and would much rather the likes of us, Villa, Leicester, West Ham etc were just able to genuinely compete without on one hand risking the existence of the club and on the other hand completely taking the piss and it meaning nothing. 

Completely agree. Being able to build a sustainable squad without having our hands tied behind our backs is all I want.

Balancing this with the UEFA rules will be interesting, but I think they can be approached with some confidence that as long as the overspending is within reason and at least for the first few years then the punishment would only be fines. 

If this gets voted in and the PL and UEFA both effectively have luxury taxes then we will know pretty quickly how big PIF's ambition is with us.

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

we will know pretty quickly how big PIF's ambition is with us.

We've seen what they've done with golf, they threw over $1bn at that alone without blinking.

Add in F1, boxing and countless other sports, and it's pretty clear to me that they'd go absolutely wild with us if they were allowed to.

I'd like a decent enough squad which is capable of not damaging their own health playing 2 games a week. 

If that squad is of quality where we have Mbappe on thw bench whinging about game time, then so be it. Nowt I can do about it.

I'd imagine various other forums from clubs wanting to cherry pick our players will be taking this proposal well.

So, for a balanced and unbiased opinion, I'm off to skim RTG.

Let’s just do it, win the league, and refuse to compete in the CL if we are in breach of their rules - it won’t be a good luck for them if (hypothetically) the PL champs refuse to take part and it will only encourage another start up to rival it, eventually UEFA will change their rules too

3 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Completely agree. Being able to build a sustainable squad without having our hands tied behind our backs is all I want.

And the owners probably. But world domination is also probably an aim too [emoji38]

10 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I'd like a decent enough squad which is capable of not damaging their own health playing 2 games a week. 

If that squad is of quality where we have Mbappe on thw bench whinging about game time, then so be it. Nowt I can do about it.

One things for sure Eddie will not want a Man City efficient yet boring team. It’ll be full on entertainment all the way “Fast and Furious” :indi: 

IMG_5270.thumb.png.3a07cc242bf3ffa6de0f6667b72587df.png

Edited by PauloGeordio

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Is this new news good for us ? Haven’t been able to read about it.

It's all hypothetical still and the devil is in the details. But yes, any version of rules that imposes fines as punishments means we could effectively do as much as our owners want. At the very least it would provide a level of flexibility that doesn't exist today.

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

If the rules and sanctions change where does that leave Man City and their 115 charges? Just a huge fine ?

Yep. It'll fall under the new rules.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Yep. It'll fall under the new rules.

That’s pretty disgusting when Everton, Forest & Leicester will be deducted points. 

Not conflating Manchester City's spending with a dodgy owner in the lower leagues would be a better starting point.

I just rejected the whole premise that Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal and Spurs suddenly cared about smaller clubs when all my time in football they've traipsed all over them - resented sharing gate receipts, pushed for the PL and pushed for the Super League.

31 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

In theory I agree

But if we did ever win anything or get to the point of winning thing regularly we will be told off every other set of fans that we'd bought it with oil money anyway