Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

Just now, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Has there been any expenditure since he left? If not then it was a shit show before he started tending to his roses

Quite possibly he was part of the problem, regardless of his merits it’s undeniable it’s left a huge gap in a key position though, would he have sanctioned a sale in January for example, whereas with Howe calling the shots he’d have just been looking at playing side which you can’t blame him for of course.

8 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Depends how hands on PIF have been, I think where lacking personnel with football knowledge in executive positions, wouldn’t be surprised if it’s been a shit show since Ashworth left.

If that is the case, as I said yesterday, then there should be people removed or dismissed from the running of the club. I just can't see PIF or more importantly the Chairman, allowing this to happen. 

Just now, et tu brute said:

If that is the case, as I said yesterday, then there should be people removed or dismissed from the running of the club. I just can't see PIF or more importantly the Chairman, allowing this to happen. 

Hopefully not looks very amateur hour and will have played into our enemies hands if we have.

I'll be honest a pretty significant part of me actively wants us to breach PSR rules by a few million in order to contest the whole fucking thing in a court. Few mill over, 2 points, piddly shit tbh - nothing major, but it'll allow us to eventually drag the PL into a court and thrash the fuck out of the legality of the whole thing without too much jeopardy. May well not be the most sensible of moves but I'd not be scared of the outcome. If no-one challenges this shit then we're fucked anyway

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Criticising the club and/or getting a throb on for the PIF power play, based on total conjecture is bizarre like.

It doesn’t look like conjecture though does it as where scrambling to sell a top youngster we’d ideally like to keep before end of June.

51 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Not true!!!

7 goals and 12 assists for Reading in the Championship.

11 goals and 6 assists at a higher level I would say. And his underlying performance data in some key areas (xg, take ons) is as good as it gets in that division.  

You can’t argue that Minteh’s trajectory (so far) is not excellent. His trajectory is at least on par with Olise at the same age if not better imo. 

He’s not the finished article. But his potential is of someone that would be perfect for our weakest position in the field. If we could shift players ahead of him like Miggy, even Wilson - we would.  

I also think the club or publicising Isak interest. Because that’s the only type of transfer alternative we have. 

48 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Quite possibly he was part of the problem, regardless of his merits it’s undeniable it’s left a huge gap in a key position though, would he have sanctioned a sale in January for example, whereas with Howe calling the shots he’d have just been looking at playing side which you can’t blame him for of course.

We still had a chief financial officer in charge. If we were at risk he would have raised the alarm to the owners and if we needed a sale and offers were received it would have happened.

41 minutes ago, midds said:

I'll be honest a pretty significant part of me actively wants us to breach PSR rules by a few million in order to contest the whole fucking thing in a court. Few mill over, 2 points, piddly shit tbh - nothing major, but it'll allow us to eventually drag the PL into a court and thrash the fuck out of the legality of the whole thing without too much jeopardy. May well not be the most sensible of moves but I'd not be scared of the outcome. If no-one challenges this shit then we're fucked anyway

PIF look to have no desire to go the court route. 

Btw I think everyone at the club realised this could happen (and worse).  They would sell it internally as ‘we disnt sell Bruno or Isak. It’s a win.’

If Minteh was a CM or LW. We wouldn’t mind so much. We have loads of those. It’s the fact that it’s only age and experience keeping him away from being our first choice RW. 

‘we’ll need to trade.’

I also think it smashes the notion that we’ve been super cautious and we have geniuses in the backroom.  We’ve miscalculated our transfer activity sure. But so have a quarter of the teams that finished above us and more than a quarter of the league. Same thing Villa fans have to grapple with.  Speculated to gain ground. Now have to balance PSR books. Unless Villa want to continue playing Chelsea games again next summer, I expect a quieter summer from them. Which is shit. They’ll probably finish 9th. 

Only issue is that this felt avoidable. Tonali and Barnes transfers in particular. A lot of money. 

5 hours ago, midds said:

Comes back to the exploitation of the loopholes to the maximum imo. If Chelsea can get away with (legally) selling themselves a hotel for £80m to dodge a breach of PSR then why can't we (legally) sign 50 1-year sponsorship deals for all manner of shite for £999,999 each? Each one is below a million so exempt from PL validation and there's nothing that I'm aware of that could be done to block it. They'd probably have to look at the rules again to stop others doing it but the first club to do it should get away with it. This is a completely rigged situation, this is not normal for clubs to be flat-out prevented from investing it's own cash. 

I was all for playing nice and doing things the 'right' way but that's not working. Fuck it. Take the piss. The more ridiculous the better. Sponsor fucking everything that's not nailed down 

I go back to ‘how does PIF see this investment’. 

I don’t think they see it they way ‘City Group’ do.  We’ve not made genuine attempts at PSR circumvention. Even Villa’s owners seem more determined to change the status quo. 

22 minutes ago, SAK said:

We still had a chief financial officer in charge. If we were at risk he would have raised the alarm to the owners and if we needed a sale and offers were received it would have happened.

Did we not get an offer from Bayern for Trippier though ? 

24 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

11 goals and 6 assists at a higher level I would say. And his underlying performance data in some key areas (xg, take ons) is as good as it gets in that division.  

You can’t argue that Minteh’s trajectory (so far) is not excellent. His trajectory is at least on par with Olise at the same age if not better imo. 

He’s not the finished article. But his potential is of someone that would be perfect for our weakest position in the field. If we could shift players ahead of him like Miggy, even Wilson - we would.  

I also think the club or publicising Isak interest. Because that’s the only type of transfer alternative we have. 

I'm taking Olise's production in the Championship, personally.

Don't think you can say Minteh's trajectory is higher playing in the Eredevise for a top two team that actually won the title the year before.

13 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Did we not get an offer from Bayern for Trippier though ? 

We did and we didn’t sell which suggests maybe we’re not that desperate.

29 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I go back to ‘how does PIF see this investment’. 

I don’t think they see it they way ‘City Group’ do.  We’ve not made genuine attempts at PSR circumvention. Even Villa’s owners seem more determined to change the status quo. 

You've mentioned that before?

7 minutes ago, SAK said:

We did and we didn’t sell which suggests maybe we’re not that desperate.

Possibly, or they thought there was still a good chance of qualifying for Europe and we’d put any worries on the back burner until the summer, time will tell.

Edited by Whitley mag

In my uneducated opinion, we've not done anything wrong. We've not overspent on a single player, we've sold well and within reason (still think ASM should have cost more if anything), we've got the best out of our squad.

So, as long as that is the case, I would much rather just keep doing what we're doing and just take a stupid fucking point deduction.

I get way more enjoyment out of actually winning games (even if it doesn't end up showing in the league table) than I do winning the fucking accounting. 

5 hours ago, Nobody said:

In my uneducated opinion, we've not done anything wrong. We've not overspent on a single player, we've sold well and within reason (still think ASM should have cost more if anything), we've got the best out of our squad.

So, as long as that is the case, I would much rather just keep doing what we're doing and just take a stupid fucking point deduction.

I get way more enjoyment out of actually winning games (even if it doesn't end up showing in the league table) than I do winning the fucking accounting. 

I agree with this.  The only other downside would be the unknown for 3/4 of the season.

I kind of wish that us, Everton, villa, Chelsea, Leicester, Forest (maybe others) were all up for points deductions.  I think this would put more pressure on ffp than anything else. It would just make a complete mockery of the league globally.  

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald