Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle United (11/02/2023)

Disco

Some fucking sense being spoken here. Some raging bollocks too and fuel for people who take the piss about our expectations. 
pull yourselves together man. We’re fourth. This time a year ago we’d have settled for fourth bottom come the end of the season. 
Other than great football, the only reason Leicester won the league was because other teams bottled it and they were incredibly lucky with injuries. That was a once in a generation thing. 

47 minutes ago, huss9 said:

all the top 6 are looking a little leggy, not just us.

got bruno  to come back rested and also i think once targett is back it will give us a different dimesion on the left.

maxi looked better yesterday with more game time under his belt.

just got to keep Big Jow away from another yellow.

gordon will have to step up big time if he's going to replace willock against liverpool.

I agree with most of this. We are going to go on a run once Bruno comes back in as he will be refreshed.

However, I think a big part of further improvement will come when ASM is replaced by Gordon. We'll be even more of a nightmare with our press with that change, and I think we'll play with more urgency and better decision making.

Our left side has been ruined with having to drop Joelinton deep. We cannot under any circumstances play ASM and Willock together on that side. They are awful together. Only one of them can feature on that side with support from Joelinton, who seems to get the best out of both when he is paired with either one.  

Finally got around to watching the second half.

A few observations...

Burn looks cooked, Targett coming back to provide a reliable alternative is great news.

The midfield balance is off. Without Bruno, it feels like no one is dropping into space to receive the ball off the centre backs. His absence means that we also don't have a player who can play those cute balls onto our wide men.  Obviously this was compounded by Willock having to go off. That essentially left us with a quality void in the middle.

ASM still doesn't look 100% match fit. He's definetly tracking back and working harder than he did, but that explosiveness in the final third just isn't there at the moment.

Isak is still getting used to how we play. He shows flashes of excellence and he'll be really exciting once he's up to speed.

It's too early to tell if this turn in form is a temporary blip or if it's something systemic such as fatigue. 

16 hours ago, greydos said:

If you liked Eddie’s reception, you’d have loved Fraser’s!!

”You know what you are, you know what you arrrrrrre, Ryan Fraser, you know what you are!”

And 

“He plays on the left, he plays on the riiight, (insert name of Bournemouth player) makes Fraser look sh1te!”

”We want Fraser on, we want Fraser on!”

also their P.A when announcing our team pre-match went through the subs out of order, deliberately leaving Fraser last so that the crowd could settle into a good boo of him. Was class to be fair!

@WillDanceForChocolate Jefferson Lerma had very little English apparently so didn’t get anything out of him.

Keiffer Moore, Lerma, Solanke all seemed very nice though! 

:lol: Totally deserved.

8 hours ago, The Prophet said:

A few observations...

Burn looks cooked, Targett coming back to provide a reliable alternative is great news.

The midfield balance is off. Without Bruno, it feels like no one is dropping into space to receive the ball off the centre backs. His absence means that we also don't have a player who can play those cute balls onto our wide men.  Obviously this was compounded by Willock having to go off. That essentially left us with a quality void in the middle.

ASM still doesn't look 100% match fit. He's definetly tracking back and working harder than he did, but that explosiveness in the final third just isn't there at the moment.

Isak is still getting used to how we play. He shows flashes of excellence and he'll be really exciting once he's up to speed.

It's too early to tell if this turn in form is a temporary blip or if it's something systemic such as fatigue. 

More or less what I thought tbh albeit I thought Isak was terrible for the most part. Feels weird but was genuinely pleased we got a point as it’s probably the worst we’ve played this season, recency bias acknowledged.

I did hear the crowd "Ryan Fraser, you're a cunt' on repeat for a while..

Quite funny..imagine if he'd been sent on!

Love the fact Eddie is loved there and they know exactly how good he is. Probably the only other set of fans that do! 

14 hours ago, huss9 said:

all the top 6 are looking a little leggy, not just us.

got bruno  to come back rested and also i think once targett is back it will give us a different dimesion on the left.

maxi looked better yesterday with more game time under his belt.

just got to keep Big Jow away from another yellow.

gordon will have to step up big time if he's going to replace willock against liverpool.

Agreed, although im not sure Targett comes back in anytime soon. Think Howe really relies on Burn and isn’t the biggest fan of Targett. 

Perhaps the 'how dare you criticize x,y,z when we're doing so well' brigade don't log in for a few days after poor performances so they won't get triggered.

I've been reviewing and commenting on Newcastle performances on the pitch as well as off it for over 25 years and your moaning isn't going to stop me.

I was doing it plenty during our Pardew 5th season and it was like pissing in the wind. But that's why this website exists, to promote discussion and debate differences of opinion. Disagreements are healthy.

Saying you 'can't criticise' or discuss performances you perceive to be substandard is frankly Orwellian :lol:

1 minute ago, HawK said:

Perhaps the 'how dare you criticize x,y,z when we're doing so well' brigade don't log in for a few days after poor performances so they won't get triggered.

I've been reviewing and commenting on Newcastle performances on the pitch as well as off it for over 25 years and your moaning isn't going to stop me.

I was doing it plenty during our Pardew 5th season and it was like pissing in the wind. But that's why this website exists, to promote discussion and debate differences of opinion. Disagreements are healthy.

Saying you 'can't criticise' or discuss performances you perceive to be substandard is frankly Orwellian :lol:

I reckon Gordon Banks could've held Pele's header instead of needlessly giving away a corner.

20 hours ago, Theregulars said:

There are 3 types of perspective here, in my view.

1. Long-term perspective looking backwards: we’ve come a very long way quickly, and it’s not much over a year since we were circling the drain. Against this perspective, everything is fantastic.

2. Long-term perspective looking forwards: our aim is to challenge for trophies and qualify for the CL. We are ahead of the game in that regard. Against this perspective, it’s exciting as hell but it has changed the context against which people view the squad and our results. That’s where the concern about this patchy run of form and the poor transfer window comes from, I think. 

3. immediate perspective on the match itself: objectively, we played really poorly against a very poor side. That very poor side made us look distinctly second best / we made them look good. It’s probably a bit of each. It was a wretched performance and we were lucky to escape with a point. 

This is why the “perspective” argument being used only as set out 1 above is limited. There are different perspectives and contexts, and some of them justify concern at yesterday’s performance.

Aye. I would add some had concerns about January window and a lack of ability in midfield and numbers in midfield/attack and that's the one thing holding us back.

A lot of people on here can only hold 1 view of things. It's all great. Or it's all awful. Zero room to discuss anything outside of binaries. They have no thoughts or opinions of their own. 

Are fans allowed to criticise...aye...buf the nature of what i am reading on social media is madness. "Pathetic' embarrassing' shocking etc etc.

Lets not forget Brighton, Wolves, Leeds, West Ham, Bournemouth. Yes we were poor but we did'nt get beat..surely that is a positive in its self.

Remember Burnley at home last season? SJP was rocking as we got our first Win or scenes at Arsenal at home after turning season around and finishing 11th. Or fact we are sat 4th with squad players punching well above their weight.

I think best thing to happen is a few defeats so people wake up and smell the coffee. On that note wish we could get Rid of some of our season ticket holders with people who get behind the fucking lads.

Fucking 4th and cup final...howay the lads.

8 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Are fans allowed to criticise...aye...buf the nature of what i am reading on social media is madness. "Pathetic' embarrassing' shocking etc etc.

Lets not forget Brighton, Wolves, Leeds, West Ham, Bournemouth. Yes we were poor but we did'nt get beat..surely that is a positive in its self.

Remember Burnley at home last season? SJP was rocking as we got our first Win or scenes at Arsenal at home after turning season around and finishing 11th. Or fact we are sat 4th with squad players punching well above their weight.

I think best thing to happen is a few defeats so people wake up and smell the coffee. On that note wish we could get Rid of some of our season ticket holders with people who get behind the fucking lads.

The problem I have, is I don't use social media, other than LinkedIn. The closest I get is clicking on links to things on this board, like Twitter videos. So I read the posts here that are, for example, saying 'Why on earth would you criticise Dan Burn?', as directed towards us, the forum users.

For me, as anyone who reads my posts knows, it'd be much easier for others to direct-quote what you don't agree with, or you just risk unintentional division like this. 

Generally my nemesis here are all the posts that start with 'People saying...', like, provide a quote to something so there's some context.

1 minute ago, HawK said:

The problem I have, is I don't use social media, other than LinkedIn. The closest I get is clicking on links to things on this board, like Twitter videos. So I read the posts here that are, for example, saying 'Why on earth would you criticise Dan Burn?', as directed towards us, the forum users.

For me, as anyone who reads my posts knows, it'd be much easier for others to direct-quote what you don't agree with, or you just risk unintentional division like this. 

Generally my nemesis here are all the posts that start with 'People saying...', like, provide a quote to something so there's some context.

I've not actually read this thread, it was clubs official pages and the negative comments, we were absolutely poor but like i pointed out to fans every club this season has had this, city and Arsenal of late

33 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

On this board, I’ve not seen people lament the team as pathetic or shocking.  What happens on Twitter should stay on Twitter.  

Finally had a read through of the post match on here. Some people's hypotheses are fucking mad.

No doubt, we're struggling at the moment. Lots of different factors. Hard to level any specific blame due to a) things I know we don't know, and b) the problems we are facing which are still ultimately rooted in Ashley.

That said, personally I would have liked to have seen Isak and Wilson on the pitch together for a little while now. Our standard route to attacking success has been a busted flush since... Boxing Day? I think we need to offer a wholly new threat. Unfortunately, that's out of the question for who knows how long now...

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Another thought is that you've got to wonder about the focus of the players with a final looming. Not that it's an excuse and Howe will rightfully be having none of it, but it will be the back of their minds. 

I would actually be surprised if that were the case, and disappointed too. It wouldn't be good enough, and would help deliver defeat anyway.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Another thought is that you've got to wonder about the focus of the players with a final looming. Not that it's an excuse and Howe will rightfully be having none of it, but it will be the back of their minds. 

I think subconsciously, it must play a part.  I know they are pro athletes, so they should be able to blank things out better than you or I would.  But it's not like they are a group of players that regularly get to finals or are often involved in massive, high pressure one off games.  It's a new thing for a lot of the squad. 

It must come into their thinking somewhere about not wanting to get injured, for example.  Fans at other clubs were saying the same about their players prior to the world cup.  Some mentioned it about Wilson and all.  But he genuinely did just look a bit fucked and still hasn't looked himself since Covid.  So not saying there was anything in that. 

18 hours ago, The Prophet said:

A few observations...

I think that’s a really fair analysis. 

The centre midfield situation and options never really felt right to me and we seem to be suffering a bit now because of injuries and suspensions. 

TBH I think we might benefit from playing 4-2-3-1 while Bruno is out. Willock is very untidy and not really a true CM anyway.

Might be a simpler role for Longstaff and Joelinton to play those two pivot roles and provide a platform for the quick attackers we have now. 

Wishful thinking maybe, but we're going to miss Bruno badly no matter what. 

Agree. We need to get some relationships built up for the likes of Isak and Gordon. The latter to me seemed to play it quite safe on the weekend as he's figuring us out. A couple of times, he could've turned or played a ball around the corner but he chose to make the easier pass - worked fine for keeping things ticking over but we lacked that moment of play to open them up.

2 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Agree. We need to get some relationships built up for the likes of Isak and Gordon. The latter to me seemed to play it quite safe on the weekend as he's figuring us out. A couple of times, he could've turned or played a ball around the corner but he chose to make the easier pass - worked fine for keeping things ticking over but we lacked that moment of play to open them up.

The AM role doesn't seem to suit him. A few times I was hoping he would try and turn or take it on the backfoot and he just popped it back into midfield. Isak looks more natural playing off a striker, he's got that cuteness to his game.

2 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I think 4-2-3-1 is useful tweak to have up our sleeve, so I wouldn't be adverse to seeing a bit more of it, but there were a lot of unfamiliar on-field player relationships on Saturday. Burn-Maxi, Maxi-Isak, Almiron-Isak, Gordon-everyone, along with Joelinton and Longstaff playing as a double pivot.

Chris Waugh mentioned on Pod on the Tyne that sources inside the dressing room felt we were "jaded".

Granted Burn and Almiron looked a bit leggy, but that shouldn't have affected the press as much as it did. Bruno, Willock and Wilson weren't playing, so we had Gordon, ASM and Isak should have been "fresh". Personally think it was as much in the tactics (new system, unfamiliar players, etc) as it was down to tiredness.