Lewis Miley

Ronson333

Is Willock defo in the same mould as Joelinton from a tackling/win back / interception perspective? Whilst ive not seen him play in what feels like motnhs now, I remember him being more a transitional midfielder, fantastic range of passing and fast on the break, i don't remember him for his tackles etc.

He was good at tracking back and tackling but his main asset is driving the ball forwards at speed. No one breaks in transition close to his speed in the squad. Gordon, while faster in terms of pace doesn’t move the ball anywhere near as quickly. Willock is one of the best in the league at running with the ball at pace 

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Think this is noticeable with the eye test too.

i know. ffs. doesnt take a bar chart and stats to figure that one out.

1 hour ago, RobS said:

Is Willock defo in the same mould as Joelinton from a tackling/win back / interception perspective? Whilst ive not seen him play in what feels like motnhs now, I remember him being more a transitional midfielder, fantastic range of passing and fast on the break, i don't remember him for his tackles etc.

Pretty low, iirc.

Joelinton and Bruno's defensive numbers were massively ahead of everyone else last season, from memory.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

4 hours ago, La Parka said:

We should get him with a running coach. 

His gait is a bit awkward, like he's used to his height providing his advantage.

Two players named Lewis and they both run funny.  Interesting.

4 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Think this is noticeable with the eye test too.

I dunno like, if you read the match threads sometimes feels like people are watching a different game.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep thinking that he is falling well short of his capability, so he is either playing well within himself or this is what he is going to offer in his career. I'm still firmly in the former camp, so fingers crossed he releases the shackles sooner rather than later.

He is ridiculous like. Another performance where you watch what he does and you’re like, that’s the sort of thing even seasoned pros can’t do. He’s going to be a superstar for us.

Like, he's a really smart player. You can tell that he has seen what the optimum play is very early when he gets the ball. And when he has the time and space, he always executes the optimum pass. 

Sometimes when things are a little more pressured, he is very keen to keep it safe and secure and will dismiss the optimum play that would properly open up the opposition in favour of a safe possession retaining pass.  I think that's what Howe is asking and Miley is smart enough to be able to deliver what is wanted.

But I really want to see him unleashed, cos I reckon he's gonna set the world alight eventually. 

The current midfield make up I feel doesn't suit his game but he's still looking very composed. Great players always seem to have half a second more and he seems to have this. He'll really benefit from players coming back as he'll a) get a rest and b) get to play in a midfield that is more suited to his style.

16 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He's about 3 years ahead of where he should be. 

Thing is, there is precedent for CMs who breakthrough very early: they burn out early. I hope he is looked after.

Two negatives stand out:

defensive covering and huge lack of pace.

The rest is canny, but does look like he is playing the safe ball every time or perhaps has been instructed to do so...

He's class but he's 17 and this isn't an ideal scenario anymore.

In a normal world he gets pulled out of the starting 11 and plays a few cameos, which would aide his development.

7 minutes ago, buzza said:

Two negatives stand out:

defensive covering and huge lack of pace.

The rest is canny, but does look like he is playing the safe ball every time or perhaps has been instructed to do so...

I think he's been coached to do that, the older he gets yhe more expressive he'll be.

39 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Thing is, there is precedent for CMs who breakthrough very early: they burn out early. I hope he is looked after.

I think next season we keep him here giving him the odd game, year after give him a loan deal somewhere with regular football...he'll still be coming back at 20ish as a squad player but with more experience. 

26 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

The Kid is way too cool, looked more composed on and off the ball than Bruno and Longstaff today.

I didn't think he did particularly well until we got the second goal, after that Bruno was back to his best as well, despite having a stinker in the first half.