Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United (26/02/2023)

Disco

What I will say is all the Mancs I’ve spoken to this weekend have been spot on. Good banter with them in Euston this morning, back and forth chanting but then a hand shame on the way out. Class. 

A few of their plastics in the pub we watched it in weren’t so good, one of them stood on a table with his finger in his lugs after their goal. A few didn’t take kindly to that as you’d expect.

Shite outcome but had a good weekend nonetheless. We’ll win it next time. 

Yeah, Hull (under the big man) got into Europe as FA Cup runners up to top 4 Arsenal in 2013/14, but Aston Villa didn't the following year when losing to the same opposition, so that rule has been stopped since 2014/15 - we've obviously benefited twice in the late 90s by getting into Europe that way, but it's generally better to go to the league IMO.

I've never known the League Cup runner up to ever get into Europe in my time (PL era).

6th would guarantee some form of Europe, 7th would get Conference if an already qualified team won the FA Cup (as GA mentioned above)

I'll definitely be wanting Man Utd, Man City and Spurs winning their match in the FA Cup in midweek, Brighton too. Can't see us finishing lower than 7th, but it would be disappointing if we ended up with no European football after such a good season so far. It would have been more favourable playing a Forest in the final, but if we lost to them, then 7th definitely wouldn't have got Europe, and at this stage, 6th wouldn't have been guaranteed either.

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

What I will say is all the Mancs I’ve spoken to this weekend have been spot on. Good banter with them in Euston this morning, back and forth chanting but then a hand shame on the way out. Class. 

A few of their plastics in the pub we watched it in weren’t so good, one of them stood on a table with his finger in his lugs after their goal. A few didn’t take kindly to that as you’d expect.

The Man Utd supporters actually from Manchester I’ve met in the past after games have been consistently sound.  The spoiled, petulant cunts who brag about the achievements of others tend to be from elsewhere, treating being a fan as a bizarre penis extension. 

Just now, Paullow said:

Yeah, Hull (under the big man) got into Europe as FA Cup runners up to top 4 Arsenal in 2013/14, but Aston Villa didn't the following year when losing to the same opposition, so that rule has been stopped since 2014/15 - we've obviously benefited twice in the late 90s by getting into Europe that way, but it's generally better to go to the league IMO.

I've never known the League Cup runner up to ever get into Europe in my time (PL era).

6th would guarantee some form of Europe, 7th would get Conference if an already qualified team won the FA Cup (as GA mentioned above)

I'll definitely be wanting Man Utd, Man City and Spurs winning their match in the FA Cup in midweek, Brighton too. Can't see us finishing lower than 7th, but it would be disappointing if we ended up with no European football after such a good season so far. It would have been more favourable playing a Forest in the final, but if we lost to them, then 7th definitely wouldn't have got Europe, and at this stage, 6th wouldn't have been guaranteed either.

Yep.  And never forget, we’ve played in the Cup Winners Cup, despite never actually winning a domestic cup as in the entire duration of that competition’s lifetime. 

18 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Im not very analytical when watching from the stands, but it seemed frustrating that we were getting in good positions around the edge of the box then trying to find the perfect pass when sometimes we should needed to have a shot. Particularly ASM making a good run and I expected him to cut in and shoot, but he didn’t and it’d fizzle out 

same from my area too bro

8 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

They're all glory supporting nonces in my experience @Froggy

Just now, Kanji said:

In defeat my love of NUFC has never been stronger. 

Absolutely huge day for me as a fan tbh. Brought the mrs and, more importantly, the step son to the Toon to watch the Brighton game, but obviously those plans changed. Despite not being the least bit interested in football when I first got to know him, now four years later he is absolutely Newcastle mad. Knows all the players names, numbers, who plays where and what they are good at.

To be able to watch the game today with him, in Newcastle (well Gateshead), was such a huge moment for me. He was gutted as we conceded the second, but it matters so little to him compared to how class the weekend has been, and how much of a Toon fan he's become. Literally wants anything Newcastle related now :smitten:

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Casemiro is a world class midfielder. Bruno has HAS to look at him and say I’ll be him one day. He’s unreal man. 

If they hadn't have signed him, we'd have beaten them today. Literally one signing has effectively won them the game.

Today was my first competitive toon match in 27 years of fandom. I’m still emotional. I was happy tears before and happy / sad after. My wife got emotional with me because she knew how much today meant to me.  

NUFC will never ever ever be eclipsed. Guys, I’m telling you as a life long fan from afar - NO CLUB has this support. NO CLUB has our heart.  We are massive and one day we will be the club we want and desire it to be. 

and when it does, oh my god. 

I’m very drunk, and fresh from an argument about being ‘from the fright side of the river’ but I think people are being very disrespectful

to Bruno. Bruno does things in midfield, beyond the capability to Casemiro. He’ll achieve great things without having to worry about who has gone before him.

We’ve bought a player with great things ahead and not behind him. Worth baring that in mind.

2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Why are yous responding man [emoji38]

You cannot win.

The forum needs a BLOCK USER facility like Twitter.  Only way to deal with twat wind-up merchants.  Don't give them any air.

Just back to the hotel after quite an amazing day (despite the result).

Off the pitch it was a dream come true… walking up Wembley Way, clinging to my little boys’ hands as we walked up the ramp and through the turnstiles, to see the look of amazement on his 8 year old face when we saw the stadium, the flags, the atmosphere. True, life long, memories were made today. I’m so very proud of and grateful to the players, manager, staff and owners for giving me and my boy this moment together.

On the pitch I can’t fault the lads effort and endeavour. First goal was dubious at best, some very dodgy decisions went their way, and second goal was just unlucky. We matched them in most other areas. We just lacked the confidence in front of goal. They, quite clearly, just had more game-changers available to them. It’s hard to really pin any blame on anyone, and I have no interest in even trying to.

A day I will never forget. And we lost.

Just imagine what it’ll be like, in the not too distant future, when we actually do win something. Special times are coming.

Not sure about this we didn't create chances thing at least juxtaposed with them.

Their first goal, from which the subsequent counter attack chances ensued, was just a set play.

The other goal a deflection. We had numerous set-plays, Jo had a header the equal chance of the first and one of our other shots takes a deflection and goes in its parity.

Our setplays being naff and not getting a deflection go in our favour would be more apt imho.