Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United (26/02/2023)

Disco

3 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

Yep this is exactly how I felt too. 

Genuinely surprised at the people disagreeing with jack in this thread. 

Genuinely shocked that anyone thought our end was dire.

The constant attempts from our fans to down play our stadium, our atmosphere, our team etc is quite embarrassing.

It's like some live in a pretend world where fans are going to sing for 100% of the game. It doesn't happen, especially in a stadium so large.

You are always going to get pockets of atmosphere, as opposed to a full end singing.

Our fans were class but if anyone wants to keep bashing them crack on. Bizarre.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Maybe it was specific to your area. I dunno. 133 just in front of you was certainly loud for large portions.

But again… it’s unrealistic to expect everyone to be going full pelt for 90 mins.

No mate, everyone should stand and sing for 100% of the game, regardless of scoreline and situation.

Where I was, our fans were excellent.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Wish I hadn't read these last couple pages. :lol: The way the fans came across on the tele softened the blow enormously yesterday. 

Did you watch on TV. How did we look? I've seen and read nowt.

Wish I hadn't read these last couple pages. :lol: The way the fans came across on the tele softened the blow enormously yesterday. 

Everywhere else around London has been great and even on the Tube back and waiting on Wembley Way people were having a bit of a sing song in a good natured way, but I do just think a lot were crippled by emotion in some form in the stadium. It was surreal.

Just now, STM said:

TV coverage made your support look great. Made ours look good too I thought. 

People will hear what they want to hear. In this thread you've had people say both sets of supporters were loud and quiet. :lol:

Just now, STM said:

They looked magnificent and Casemiro desperately geeing up the ManU fans despite being two ahead seemed to sum it up. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

They looked magnificent and Casemiro desperately geeing up the ManU fans despite being two ahead seemed to sum it up. 

Casemiro, Antony and Martinez do that all game every game. It means nothing. 

7 minutes ago, STM said:

Genuinely shocked that anyone thought our end was dire.

The constant attempts from our fans to down play our stadium, our atmosphere, our team etc is quite embarrassing.

It's like some live in a pretend world where fans are going to sing for 100% of the game. It doesn't happen, especially in a stadium so large.

You are always going to get pockets of atmosphere, as opposed to a full end singing.

Our fans were class but if anyone wants to keep bashing them crack on. Bizarre.

I can only go off where I was mate (block 136). 

I don't think the acoustics at Wembley help like, but aye our block was pretty silent throughout. Not doubting that it was much better where you were.

I promise I don't expect (or want 🤣) to be bouncing about all game like European ultra try hards. 

I just expected a hell of a lot more for a cup final.

But hey ho, was a tremendous  weekend regardless 

Edited by TheDimpleboy

7 minutes ago, jack j said:

Got a feeling alot around me were *special favours* Alex hurst was the row behind.....

Aye a lot of the posh school wallers were in there. I had the misfortune to be sent a video of a TF live event. One kid on there (who presumably had a ticket)) had never been to Newcastle..

I was lower tier and the atmosphere was patchy but not bad- lots of shouting but not that many songs

The second goal knocked the stuffing a bit

it picked up toward the end when Newcastle were pressing.

At times Man Utd fans did out sing Newcastle, but they were two up in a cup final! 

Also wanted to add, the experience in general felt surreal and I just didn't quite grasp the the enormity of it all really.

Weird experience overall. The general consensus amongst fans around me was "just please score a goal" [emoji38]

I would've killed to go mental and it really would've settled the nerves. It just wasn't meant to be unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm absolutely gutted like, but I can't say it's because of any lack of effort, endeavour, or even performance really. Our players are at their ceilings and I can't ask for more than that. Better players will have higher ceilings.

That's the first time I've even seen us compete in a Wembley final, but as soon as Man United scored twice from what felt like their 2% of possession in the first half, it felt like nothing went our way. Even at 2-0 down I felt like we could win if just something went our way, but it never did.

Can't say I was angry or frustrated, just sad really. But that's a measure of the already huge achievement of coming from where we were to where we are, we shouldn’t even be here yet. Howe and that team were close to being infinite in Newcastle's history and they all were more than worthy of achieving that, so despite being well ahead of schedule, it's sad that they didn't. So proud of the effort and to see our club so well represented at Wembley by Howe, the staff, the players, the performance, the fans, and Wor Flags. 

JLA got it spot on about saying that it was like the last day of year 11 with these players in that final, there's definitely an end of The Breakfast Club feeling about this group, like. :lol:

For a lot of the players and for Howe of course, this is just the beginning, but for others they'll move on and so will we. A lot of those players will have a David Kelly feel about them imo - crucial players in our history who you love and you'd have loved to have stayed and achieved something, but will go hopefully to be replaced by our next Andy Cole or Peter Beardsley.

I'm sure once the sadness lifts and we look back on this season, the overriding feeling will be hugely positive. We don't demand a team that wins, we demand a club that tries. We've absolutely got that, but it's not just one that tries, it competes. One thing is for certain in all of this, we're definitely back.

This post nails it. 

19 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Casemiro, Antony and Martinez do that all game every game. It means nothing. 

Maybe that’s telling you something about your fans then.

He did it with 50 seconds left and you were fucking flat. The loudest I heard from your fans was with 20 minutes left and it was anti Glazier songs.

Your club even tried the scarves things to try and take it away from us who did it in previous rounds, and what effort there was from your fans to do it looked fucking pathetic, they’ll be on eBay ready to be shipped to the USA, Japan, and South Africa.

6 minutes ago, Stifler said:

He did it with 50 seconds left and you were fucking flat. The loudest I heard from your fans was with 20 minutes left and it was anti Glazier songs.

Your club even tried the scarves things to try and take it away from us who did it in previous rounds, and what effort there was from your fans to do it looked fucking pathetic, they’ll be on eBay ready to be shipped to the USA, Japan, and South Africa.

Didnt mention our fans. They do it for Brazil and Argentina too. 

That's the South Americans for you. Their attitude is brilliant. 

7 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Bruno does it plenty to our fans, think it's a South American thing

Genuinely thought there fans were loud me. And they waved their scarves about a canny bit. The whole freebie club thing is a bit plastic but then our end was organised by the club as well

Shut off the tv at the end and didn't really look here much or on any football stuff, was disappointed, we tried but the same league form issues couldn't be shaken, we did not look like scoring and it was a fair result. 

I do think our press isn't as intense, I guess behind the scenes they have data on miles covered and if a large number of the squad are heading for likely injury that may have motivated it to be dialed down, but I think this contributes to our defense no longer being impregnable. 

Equally think Burn and more surprisingly Trippier are struggling a bit. Their form dictates the solidity of the team somewhat. 

Further forward, Bruno and Joelinton were great. Longstaff didn't have his best game but nor did he do a huge amount wrong, just wasn't able to impose himself (maybe not a shock against Casemiro quality) 

See some right mad anger at Allan Saint Maximan who was the only player on the pitch until Isak came on who showed any likelihood of doing anything ot make a goal. Yes he is too tentative, yes he didn't get much away but blimey. Equally yes he will be upgraded on in the summer most likely. He does not deserve the vitriol he gets, he is not Messi and he was signed in a different era. 

Miggy had a poor game, and that has been a habit. Some of the vitriol at him though is aggravating too though. He is not the best player no, but he needs to be running beyond the defense, he has shown he can finish. Here he was largely running at the defense and he can't beat them like ASM can. 

Wilson was poor, the ball wasn't sticking to him, and him starting over Isak seems the only clear error you could hurl at Eddie for team selection imo. Someone asked before the game what Isak had to do to start and i snarkily responded 'score'., which is basically true but this was also proof he is currently superior. I don't blame Eddie too bad for going with experience in this game. I do think Isak's style is perhaps a challenge for how we set up though, he does not play like Wilson and as sole forward he will be dropping deep a lot more, it will change things. 

Oh well, the team was found wanting in a final. I feel for Dan Burn and Longstaff in terms of as local lads, as great as their narratives are one suspects even they know they may not be starting players at the next one. We'll go again. 

Edited by Tiresias