Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Bouncing today, great noise nearly throughout. Atmosphere is always good when team is going for it, but we need that level of noise and aggression every home game from now on. 

19 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Apparently Neville said yesterday was best atmosphere he’s experienced in his time working for Sky Sports. Belta. 

Best he's experienced in his 11 years of working for Sky. Tbf it was absolutely bouncing yesterday. We were in the Gallowgate Upper and stood more than we sat. Even the Leazes sounded loud and the NE Corner of the Leazes End also came across as very noisy amd when you look to your left and see the Platinum Club up out their seats singing you know everyone is up for it!

22 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, I remember that match - it was a bear pit for any game vs Man Utd during that period.  Cole acting the cunt didn't exactly help :) - there was a bloke who sat near me who was ejected during Cole's celebrations (he was apoplectic - though 'happily' not in a racist way, just in an angry rabid-dog hating on all things Man Utd kind of way.  It was completely owa the top, nonetheless).

I think I was at that match, but don't really remember it very much. I believe yous, but funny, doesn't sound anything special from the telly clips

state of the defending for his goal.

3 hours ago, BlueStar said:

Far better today than at the final, weirdly. 

EDIT: I mean yesterday. Not been to bed yet.

Think the whistling of De Gea really helped to get the crowd involved early 

Was the perfect storm for an excellent atmosphere. Obviously the opposition was a big factor, then ten Hags comments riled everyone up (his mind games had the opposite effect to what he wanted so he needs some practice there) which meant everyone screaming at De Gea to hurry up everyone time he had the ball.

Some form of revenge for the Cup Final was clearly in the air, the later kick off time meant everyone had had a couple of extra pints, then of course the chance to go above them into 3rd and the excellent performance meant it was always going to be absolutely electric which it was.

After a few really flat atmospheres culminating in the Cup Final I think the last 2 home games have been really good. Hopefully a corner has been turned.

Like I said, there's two atmosphere issues. The baseline of how we support the team when things aren't going well, and how we get up for these key games.

I think we're really good at the latter and not always so good at the former. But I can't help but think that's just how it will inevitably always be.

Call me the forum misery if you wish, but I still thought there was a distinct lack of a songbook going throughout the game until 10 mins from the end. It really is incredible to me that the Blaydon Races has all but vanished from our songbook to be honest.

Having said that, you can't fault the support yesterday in terms of urging the team on and cranking up the hostility to the opposition. But this thread was never created as a response to a lack of that anyway. IMO we have still lost the knack of keeping an atmosphere going through songs and I'm sticking to that, despite yesterday, and we really do need that large singing section at SJP.

No doubt it, when the ground gets going it's still impressively loud but there just needs to be much more consistency and only a major reshuffle of seats/standing areas can bring that about.

3 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Call me the forum misery if you wish, but I still thought there was a distinct lack of a songbook going throughout the game until 10 mins from the end. It really is incredible to me that the Blaydon Races has all but vanished from our songbook to be honest.

Having said that, you can't fault the support yesterday in terms of urging the team on and cranking up the hostility to the opposition. But this thread was never created as a response to a lack of that anyway. IMO we have still lost the knack of keeping an atmosphere going through songs and I'm sticking to that, despite yesterday, and we really do need that large singing section at SJP.

No doubt it, when the ground gets going it's still impressively loud but there just needs to be much more consistency and only a major reshuffle of seats/standing areas can bring that about.

Blaydon Races was belted out in the Gallowgate, tbf. but the pace it was sung at I'll forgive you for missing it :lol:

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but with the football that we're playing and the position that we're in, is the atmosphere really pissing on your chips that much that it's the focal point of what you post about?

10 minutes ago, Big River said:

Blaydon Races was belted out in the Gallowgate, tbf. but the pace it was sung at I'll forgive you for missing it :lol:

"They sing through that in a fuckin' hurry nowadays don't they?" - My grandad yesterday. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but with the football that we're playing and the position that we're in, is the atmosphere really pissing on your chips that much that it's the focal point of what you post about?

Pissing on my chips would be putting it way too strongly. But considering how magnificent everything else is about the club, I'd be lying if I said that the flatness of the home atmosphere doesn't irritate me. I've stood amongst some of the most vociferous NUFC support over the last 40 years, and that was generally when the team was utter shit, so to see it so bang average when the club is now the best it has probably ever been is frustrating to me. I know that society has changed and it can never probably be exactly like it was, but there is still room for improvement, and I absolutely know that we can get there too.

16 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

"They sing through that in a fuckin' hurry nowadays don't they?" - My grandad yesterday. :lol:

He's just imagining a past that never was. Ignore him ;)

11 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Pissing on my chips would be putting it way too strongly. But considering how magnificent everything else is about the club, I'd be lying if I said that the flatness of the home atmosphere doesn't irritate me. I've stood amongst some of the most vociferous NUFC support over the last 40 years, and that was generally when the team was utter shit, so to see it so bang average when the club is now the best it has probably ever been is frustrating to me. I know that society has changed and it can never probably be exactly like it was, but there is still room for improvement, and I absolutely know that we can get there too.

No chance of an element of rose-tinted glasses either? You always remember the big atmospheres don't you? Bournemouth this year sticks in my mind as being a poor atmosphere but I'll forget it. Man City, yesterday, Wolves, Arsenal last season, and a couple of others sit alongside any match I can think of since the stadium redevelopment though tbh.

Don't forget as well, your hearing won't be what it was in the Keegan years ;) 

12 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Nothing wrong with standards :thup: I think the thing that stands out to me is some of those who don't contribute well to the atmosphere seem to actually want to. They just don't know how. Honestly, it feels like the confusion in them is palpable sometimes. So like you say, some relatively minor changes like seat positions to get the right people together could help things along a lot.

15 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

No chance of an element of rose-tinted glasses either? You always remember the big atmospheres don't you? Bournemouth this year sticks in my mind as being a poor atmosphere but I'll forget it. Man City, yesterday, Wolves, Arsenal last season, and a couple of others sit alongside any match I can think of since the stadium redevelopment though tbh.

Don't forget as well, your hearing won't be what it was in the Keegan years ;) 

Lol, I'm "only" 51 bud, and was actually hearing tested earlier this year.....all good apart from some permanent tinnitus from standing next to too many large speakers at 90s raves. :lol:

I don't think it's rose tinted glasses either. My memory isn't tricking me as I know what SJP was like at it's best...however I have to accept that there is a yearning for those match days to come back, whilst also realising that it's unlikely. But even in the "golden years" of the 90s, SJP didn't have a dedicated kop end/singing section so I am intrigued and excited to see what it could be like.

Edited by Wandy

By the way, on another note, I thought Man Utd's support was utter shit on Sunday. I really expected them to come up here and rinse us over the cup final but it never happened. They barely made a peep, which is exactly the norm for them when things don't go their way.

Edited by Wandy

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

Was a really loud version of the Blaydon Races in the Gallowgate yesterday 2nd half which I was delighted to hear. Agree with what you are saying though.

Aside from that there was a lad in the Gallowgate Upper just behind us with a huge megaphone which he was using to get the chants going! Lasted about 5 mins before the stewards took it off him, then 5 minutes before the end he started again so he either had another one or managed to get that one back [emoji38]

8 minutes ago, Wandy said:

By the way, on another note, I thought Man Utd's support was utter shit on Sunday. I really expected them to come up here and rinse us over the cup final but it never happened. They barely made a peep, which is exactly the norm for them when things don't go their way.

Couldn't see them from the Gallowgate Upper and can honestly say I never heard them once either. They literally might as well have not been there as far as I was concerned!