Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Competition is high but that sounded like it takes the #1 spot. 

Going to be jealous of a lot of people for a long time. One work colleague in particular.... he was dishonest about it to me, the prick... but we're all friends tonight.

Yeah, that was comfortably the best I’ve ever seen St James’. Absolutely unreal from start to finish. Even that spell after they scored, the crowd roared them on. Singing all over the ground, people out of their seats. Phenomenal.

I was there for 5-0 in 96, 7-1 in 96, the 5-1 Sunderland game, the 6-1 Spurs game, and that was comfortably the best. What a night!

Level 7 for Burnley and Gallowgate tonight ?

Two wins, but the atmosphere and experience was  a million miles apart.

The last ten minutes tonight you could actually feel the stand "bouncing" 

Ah man, I'm wrecked ?

Got in (Leazes) about 45/50 mins before ko. 

Never in my days have I known the concourse like that so long before ko. Absolutely rammed. People singing.

I knew at that point it was going to be something special. When you get a team that knows how to harness and use that atmosphere, it’s amazing.

A word on the PSG fans - totally agree with what someone said elsewhere about generally not being a fan of the contrived atmosphere that these European clubs create - BUT - fair fucks to them last night as they were pretty relentless, and you can’t say they didn’t add to the occasion, especially leading up to ko, when they were great.

I actually thought that in a way they helped us. Thinking back to the semi final last season when you had that period for a lot of the second half, where you could almost feel a really nervous sense of disquiet sweep across the stadium, it could have been like that after they scored last night. But when you’ve got some mad fucker relentlessly banging a drum that sounds like machine gun fire, you don’t get the same uneasy eeriness.

Also final word on Wor Flags. Had the pleasure of having @Heron and crew not far in front of us doing the ‘We are the Geordie Boys’ sign. Singing non-stop pre-display. A particular highlight being ‘you can shove your Eiffel Tower up your arse’ ?

Edited by SteV

9 minutes ago, Paully said:

Best atmosphere I've experienced at SJP and best away fans I've seen!

The concourse was absolutely bonkers 45 mins before kick-off!

Well done everyone!

What was happening at the bottom of the gallowgate about 20 mins in? Seen a few stewards knocking around and everyone looking

21 minutes ago, SteV said:

Never in my days have I known the concourse like that so long before ko. Absolutely rammed. People singing.

I knew at that point it was going to be something special. When you get a team that knows how to harness and use that atmosphere, it’s amazing.

A word on the PSG fans - totally agree with what someone said elsewhere about generally not being a fan of the contrived atmosphere that these European clubs create - BUT - fair fucks to them last night as they were pretty relentless, and you can’t say they didn’t add to the occasion, especially leading up to ko, when they were great.

I actually thought that in a way they helped us. Thinking back to the semi final last season when you had that period for a lot of the second half, where you could almost feel a really nervous sense of disquiet sweep across the stadium, it could have been like that after they scored last night. But when you’ve got some mad fucker relentlessly banging a drum that sounds like machine gun fire, you don’t get the same uneasy eeriness.

Also final word on Wor Flags. Had the pleasure of having @Heron and crew not far in front of us doing the ‘We are the Geordie Boys’ sign. Singing non-stop pre-display. A particular highlight being ‘you can shove your Eiffel Tower up your arse’ ?

Donnarumma is a boomer I heard him belting out

Some bloke

The noise during and after the anthem was spine tingling. Made the hairs on the arm stand up and brought a tear to the eye. That's what it's all about, that's why last season meant so much to reach top 4, for this night.

I know I am biased, but it's really good for football that we are up there competing again. Look at last night and the league cup final last year, you replace us with another team and it's a rather drab mild affair. 

I'm In the Leazes, got to say I agree regards the drum - at first it was sort of getting on my tits a bit - but it definitely helped the atmosphere, as did their fans generally, but we kind of fed off the drum also. Amazing night.

Pity about the arsehole behaviour of some of our fans pre match but allowing that Ultra March to the stadium was always going to see some of that. It nearly properly kicked off on Barrack Rd beside the Tesco Extra. Traffic bollard got chucked which sparked a bit of an exchange.

Just now, Keefaz said:

Thought I've had for a while, might as well ask it here: why's no one done a chant based on Jolene by Dolly Parton where 'Jolene' is replaced by 'Geordies'. Seems obvious.

Didnt we used to sing that or am i imagining it?

Was on another level last night. Sat near the corner flag in the Gallowgate. Didn’t even catch the lads name next to me but it was like I’d grown up with him? everyone around fully taking the moment in. Beautiful to see.

Is anywhere showing a replay of the full game so I can take it in again??

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Hahaha Aye I enjoyed that rendition!

10 minutes ago, ryanegg said:

Was on another level last night. Sat near the corner flag in the Gallowgate. Didn’t even catch the lads name next to me but it was like I’d grown up with him? everyone around fully taking the moment in. Beautiful to see.

Is anywhere showing a replay of the full game so I can take it in again??

I wasn't there last night but sounds just like the Barca match in 97, hugging complete strangers like we'd known each other all of our lives and it felt like the most natural thing in the world :smitten:

3 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

Given how good the atmosphere was against PSG, can you imagine what it would be like if we had a proper, organised singing end? I wonder if we will ever get to find out.

Praying we get Euro 2028 and it kickstarts a stadium redevelopment plan. If we don’t start soon, not sure how we will do anything to the stadium until after 2028…

1 minute ago, TheGuv said:

Praying we get Euro 2028 and it kickstarts a stadium redevelopment plan. If we don’t start soon, not sure how we will do anything to the stadium until after 2028…

There's only our bid left to host it so fair to say it looks pretty locked in, will be confirmed on Tuesday.