Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Thought the atmosphere was decent on the whole today. Helps when you've got a panto villain (their goalie) and a shit ref; everyone generally united in noisy pissiness. 

It’s hard for the atmosphere to stay good all game when the crowd’s getting nothing to work with. We were so poor in the final third today. 

Was absolutely gutted to see the amount of people leaving at the final whistle. After everything the players and management have put in this year and the champions league … fucking hell. They deserved better than that. 

27 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

Was absolutely gutted to see the amount of people leaving at the final whistle. After everything the players and management have put in this year and the champions league … fucking hell. They deserved better than that. 

I just came on here to post about this. Not got to as many games as I would have liked this year for various reasons. So not really in a position to judge too much. But in all of the players pics. The ground looks half empty. 

After all of the adversity this year and the shit hands we’ve been consistently dealt. They deserved our support there. 

Great connection between the fans and the squad since Howe has come in. Seems weird that so many would fuck off. 

Either that or the average match going fan since the takeover has become far too plastic/entitled/expectant. Delete as appropriate. 

42 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Thought the atmosphere was decent on the whole today. Helps when you've got a panto villain (their goalie) and a shit ref; everyone generally united in noisy pissiness. 

FWIW, it sounded a lot better on the TV than it usually does. 

59 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

Agree but entirely expected. 

Posted (edited)

No matter how many other clubs have the same problem and for no matter how long its been the case, after a negative result this topic appears with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season.

I've accepted that's 21st century (earlier really) support and that were really comparing things to a few years in the 90s

Relative to other games against Brighton in any generation it was probably one of the better ones

BUT nobody left early for laps of appreciation in the 90s. Not being able to forgoe catching the first metro or bus and save 20minutes social time away from the pest of having to go to games once a season is shit support and shit attitude in the current circumstances

Edited by Jonas

Standing in the corner it was ace, as ever

Also rowdy on the concourse pre game and half time 

Away game support at a home game

Add rails to more parts of the ground and it’d be a huge step to a better atmosphere 

It is hard for me to criticise in a sense - I'm no longer an active participant in the atmosphere (unless my voice carries 10,000 miles) - but while I did think it wasn't great today, I do think that generally the atmosphere through the TV is as good as it pretty much ever was post-Taylor Report and post-new Milburn / Leazes.  It really doesn't sound that bad to me (in terms of modern football).  During my c.20 years as a ST holder, I never thought it was ever that great anyway - it definitely paled in comparison to away games

9 hours ago, Elliottman said:

Fella sat next to me came about 5 mins after KO, disappeared around 35 minute mark never to return, what’s the point 🤷‍♂️ 

9 hours ago, Elliottman said:

Just know if we'd won pretty much the whole ground would have stayed back

Just shows the mentality of people.

10 minutes ago, Cheshire Mag said:

Fella sat next to me came about 5 mins after KO, disappeared around 35 minute mark never to return, what’s the point 🤷‍♂️ 

Wife would have dragged him round the shops if he hadn’t briefly gone to the match 

9 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Sounds like it was shite again. Glad I don't bother anymore. Had a great day down London watching The Heed win the Trophy. On the rattler back home now.

Fair play to you. Must have been a long day, but good weather and a great outcome 👍

I thought the atmosphere was very good in the gallowgate first half and decent in the second and while yes people did leave before the lap of honour I reckon a good 80% stayed. What didn't help was that they took an absolute age to get it sorted while the gadgie slavered on the mic. I think a lot left because of that. 

9 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

I thought the atmosphere was very good in the gallowgate first half and decent in the second and while yes people did leave before the lap of honour I reckon a good 80% stayed. What didn't help was that they took an absolute age to get it sorted while the gadgie slavered on the mic. I think a lot left because of that. 

Was quicker than previous years I thought. I've seen them go down the tunnel for an age in the past

Ps that Europe again ole ole song at Burnley last week and yesterday just guaranteed we won't get into Europe

Our fans never learn

7 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

I left because I was gasping for a drink. Also I just don't feel the connection to the players that most seem to. I just want to see Newcastle United win, I don't really care who does it for us.

Eh, I didn't think it emptied at the final whistle like? 

Loads, myself included, left their seats and walked closer to the pitch... looked like the vast majority were still in the ground to me. 

1 minute ago, Wilson said:

Loads, myself included, left their seats and walked closer to the pitch... looked like the vast majority were still in the ground to me. 

It was heaving outside the Gallowgate right after the FT whistle. Similar levels to a normal game if I'm being honest.

1 minute ago, Wilson said:

Level 7 was 3/4 empty

Gaps all over around me. Been about 30-35k left in the ground

Not one person left last season and that was a night game

Posted (edited)

I left at the whistle cause I was dehydrated and my head was banging - I really needed a drink. No other reason.  I wouldn't be surprised if that was the same for others.  It was hot.

Edited by duo