Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

There isn’t an excuse. It’s fine.

I can understand the younger lads thinking it could be better and wanting to improve it but for people who’ve been going a long time I think they’re harking back to an atmosphere that was never actually there.

2 hours ago, Bellis80 said:

There isn’t an excuse. It’s fine.

I can understand the younger lads thinking it could be better and wanting to improve it but for people who’ve been going a long time I think they’re harking back to an atmosphere that was never actually there.

That's just gaslighting mate.

Exactly pricks we are dealing with, does not see benifit in improving the atmosphere. No doubt sat there with a bovril giving the back 4 abuse for playing out instead of getting rid...

Screenshot_20230311-122322_Samsung Internet.jpg

Watching Spurs 3-0 up on TV (thankfully) and their atmosphere and the digital 'goal' signs between every stand, I don't see how anyone can envy all that. It's really cheap and commercial looking and just cringe.

Edited by ohmelads

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Some of these cunts would be better going to the theatre royal on a Saturday afternoon.

His response now is well some lads dont even know what standing is like at St James and shouldnt expect fans to move. Just spiteful fuckers. Fucking wish they'd stick lifts up to level 7 and fuck off all moany cunts up there out the way

Edited by NUFC91

Some good noise today at times, later in the first half was very loud. After the equaliser it got very flat, but picked up bit towards the end. Looking at the crowd today really brought home that the issue isn't who goes to the game but where they sit. Yes we want everyone singing and making noise, but we still want little kids to get along or the older supporters to still be involved. Just hope the club can find a way to group like minded people together.

31 minutes ago, Adam said:

Some good noise today at times, later in the first half was very loud. After the equaliser it got very flat, but picked up bit towards the end. Looking at the crowd today really brought home that the issue isn't who goes to the game but where they sit. Yes we want everyone singing and making noise, but we still want little kids to get along or the older supporters to still be involved. Just hope the club can find a way to group like minded people together.

I hope they can. Sadly I don’t have much hope as people seem to be attached to a bit of grey plastic that they sit on, usually in complete silence for 90 minutes other than after a goal or misplaced pass.

I do understand it when it comes to people around them who they’ve sat near for years, but surely something could be sorted to keep people together. 

Had a nice mix of some moments that didn’t go our way, some that did a quality goal at a good time. Followed by us bombarding their box for 15 mins or so. Then the late winner.  

But even factoring all of that in. The atmosphere was miles better than it has been than other games I’ve been up for this season. Felt like it was going to be flat pre-game. But actually got load at times and people in the Leazes were actually joining in a bit. 

Very surprised with that yesterday. Thought the atmosphere was very good. We were in Level 7 (Row V so right at the back) up by the away fans and the noise up there was really good. Also got to sat that we could hear the Strawberry Corner loud and clear from up there. It sounded really good.

Also noticed a lot more standing today. The front tier of the Gallowgate nearest to the corner seem to stand most of the time but one thing that you can also see from up there RE the Gallowgate is that there's a huge contrast in the 2 sides of it.

If you basically drew a line right down the middle of it from front to back, the "East" side of it looks really vibrant whereas the "West" side of it looks completely dead.

12 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

If you basically drew a line right down the middle of it from front to back, the "East" side of it looks really vibrant whereas the "West" side of it looks completely dead.

To be fair, the West side of the Gallowgate is lively as out near the top, it's just hidden from view. It is only a small patch like, but they try to do their bit. I tend to sit here, it's decent.

I do agree though, the closer you get to Stawb Corner the better the atmosphere tends to get.

In other news, did we have a drum today? Or was it them? I kept hearing a drum I swear!

6 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

To be fair, the West side of the Gallowgate is lively as out near the top, it's just hidden from view. It is only a small patch like, but they try to do their bit. I tend to sit here, it's decent.

I do agree though, the closer you get to Stawb Corner the better the atmosphere tends to get.

In other news, did we have a drum today? Or was it them? I kept hearing a drum I swear!

There was 3 of us taking turns smashing the hoardings on the back of the NE corner.

Wolves was my first game since Brentford and I have to say the atmosphere was better than I expected though not great by any means. I was sat in the Gallowgate/Milburn corner. Most around me were sat in silence all game and this one lad a few along from me seemed pleased to have someone to join in with him. [emoji38] Wolves fans were atrocious I thought. Barely heard them throughout apart from after they scored but even then they were poor but I think it's clear as day that our issue will be solved by a singing section or two. Like minded fans have to be together. Good noise can come from the small sections of vocal support we have already and I am positive of what could be achieved with a couple of designated areas and that is even without safe standing.  One thing I don't like is the lack of Blaydon Races. How has this happened? We sang it first half but never again not even after the winner when it should have been belted out. But overall there is a good base to work with.

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Very surprised with that yesterday. Thought the atmosphere was very good. We were in Level 7 (Row V so right at the back) up by the away fans and the noise up there was really good. Also got to sat that we could hear the Strawberry Corner loud and clear from up there. It sounded really good.

Also noticed a lot more standing today. The front tier of the Gallowgate nearest to the corner seem to stand most of the time but one thing that you can also see from up there RE the Gallowgate is that there's a huge contrast in the 2 sides of it.

Was up L7 against Palace and thought it was decent. For being by the away fans there wasn’t much shit banter songs either, was more in support of the lads. 

16 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

Wolves was my first game since Brentford and I have to say the atmosphere was better than I expected though not great by any means. I was sat in the Gallowgate/Milburn corner. Most around me were sat in silence all game and this one lad a few along from me seemed pleased to have someone to join in with him. [emoji38] Wolves fans were atrocious I thought. Barely heard them throughout apart from after they scored but even then they were poor but I think it's clear as day that our issue will be solved by a singing section or two. Like minded fans have to be together. Good noise can come from the small sections of vocal support we have already and I am positive of what could be achieved with a couple of designated areas and that is even without safe standing.  One thing I don't like is the lack of Blaydon Races. How has this happened? We sang it first half but never again not even after the winner when it should have been belted out. But overall there is a good base to work with.

And in the first half was the first time I’ve heard it at a home game for a while too. Shame we don’t sing it more.

Really pleased to hear that the atmosphere was a lot better. If only we could pinpoint why that might have been the case. I didn't think the match was particularly rabble rousing until the goal so maybe it was something else. 

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Interesting. I always think the bad acoustics/blaming the ground shape is a bit of a cop out really. 

There were points when it sounded like wolves were at home.Bruno jeered the crowd up a bit but it is ALWAYS the same late Sunday kickoffs with everyone being full of roast dinners that the crowd is silent at a lot of points during the match.

btw i fucking hate the half time bullshit. It’s just not entertaining in the slightest

2 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

There were points when it sounded like wolves were at home.Bruno jeered the crowd up a bit but it is ALWAYS the same late Sunday kickoffs with everyone being full of roast dinners that the crowd is silent at a lot of points during the match.

btw i fucking hate the half time bullshit. It’s just not entertaining in the slightest

It’s dull as fuck. A million happy birthday messages with a 5 minute gap for a couple of lads to kick a ball nowhere near a goal. Awful.