Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

58 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Watch any Premier League game on TV and you'll see 1000s of fans packed behind 1 goal all stood up for the entirety of the game. Never understood why we are treated any differently than all the other clubs but its very noticeable that the % of fans who stand up at the match is much smaller than at any other ground, with the possible exception of Fulham Bournemouth and Sheff Utd.

As I said yesterday was the most miserable matchday experience I've ever had, certainly when we've won. Typical when we finally look like getting our act together and being a force on the pitch!!

Exactly this point, it's because we have entitled fans mate, we should easily of been able to get an end but instead Dave and Karen who have sat in Gallowgate for 20 gears think they own the seats. Telling me if 8000k stand they all getting letters...

These be the same folk who clap attendance, ask people to sit down when corner is being taken and have uproar if anyone mentions a new stadium. Believe me a ne stadium with 8k standing is appealing to me.

9 hours ago, Rod said:

I see you have loads of "likes".  New stadium my arse!

Why? I love SJP, but i also don't get why peopld hate idea of new stadium. Sometimes these things have to happen.

Club are still bumbling their way through ticketing, but definitely feel the trust should maybe look at having discussions with the club about further safe standing and mass relocation of ST holders.

There are people locked out who would kill to be in Gallowgate going mental but are stuck in a ballot system. Likewise there are people in the ground who are stuck in a place they don't necessarily want to be but have had to just to get a ticket.

I'm In the barracks and would move in a heartbeat.

The whole situation is really making me feel disillusioned now. So much so it’s totally affecting my entire match day experience. I felt as flat as a pancake yesterday. It’s not meant to be like this. 

There’s a plethora of reasons for me feeling like shit at a game now. But having gone to a good few games this season - my main theory has to be that I’m randomly allocated a seat. I absolutely hate it. Every game, a different seat. Every game a different stand or section. Because you haven’t selected it you haven’t really got a clue where you’re going to be. Fortunately I have an understanding of the turnstiles, accesses, blocks etc. So I can find my seat easily enough. But lord knows what it’s like for people who’ve rarely stepped foot in the ground. 

16 hours ago, christ said:

Go North East are on strike so there are no buses to catch.

Quite a lot of buses in Newcastle are not Go Northeast. There were still buses to catch not that I see it as an excuse.

14 hours ago, duo said:

Am not sure where the best place to say it but something has to be done about the ticketing system to get into the ground.  It is becoming dangerous, now. Fights were about to kick off today due to the lack of any sort of organisation from the club.  The digital apps are causing delays - I saw multiple people trying to get it to scan and it not working.  Which in turn is causing huge queues of people trying to get in.  But the stewards did nothing to organise these queues so you had in some case two lines trying to get into one turnstile.  And tensions were getting raised as a result.  People need to complain to the club as there needs to be some organisation.  

Probably the membership thread best for this discussion.

Agree it’s a farce in one regard and predicted on here tempers would start flaring after experiencing the Villa game but people are still turning up to late to get in. They’ve been informed to get their much earlier and still not listening for the sake of an extra pint in the pub and turning up 20mins before the game or less. If you go to a gig you turn up at least an hour or more to get in and get comfortable before a show starts. Not sure why the majority of people can’t do the same for the match. Makes more of a pre match spectacle also when people in earlier. Sadly too many people are just obsessed with drinking.

14 hours ago, Hovagod said:

Could people doing that Fulwell end chant please stop it please? Not judging, I’m sure that you’re not actually dull homophobes, but let’s recapture your era some other way if that’s okay 

Didn’t hear it myself (I’m in Gallowgate not far from safe standing) but did raise this topic on here not long ago about this chant. Thought it had died a natural deaf or had a word change at least.

54 minutes ago, patrone said:

LWC L7 was shite, there's barely any noise even though it's close to the away section, no banter between fans.

Loads sat all game with their phones out and a load of empty seats.

The bar/food area and the queing is even worse

Obviously some people must prefer to be up there, but fk knows why 🤷‍♂️

Yesterday was the first ballot I've won this season. Was L7 too, second row from the back. Safe to say I'm not one to prefer it. :lol: Only positive is I didn't feel quite as far from the pitch as I'd built it up to be in my head.

Was just on the end of safe standing, far end from the away fans. Have to say it renders the idea of safe standing a bit pointless that it's going to anyone at random if the hope was helping the atmosphere. Barely anyone could've given a shit.

Got in a little before half 2 to be safe, no queues at that point. Had time for a pint before I got to my seat but yeah, half time I popped in and the queues were worse than anywhere else I've sat before, weren't moving an inch so decided to go without.

Absolute fuck-on to get out post-match, too. I had nowhere to rush to but can see why some people want to bail early when you just get stuck up against each other while no one can move.

Certainly not the worst overall stadium atmosphere I've experienced though, especially considering the opposition.

Made the mistake of a light jog up most of the steps, too. My calves fucking regret that this morning.

I could not get my season ticket to work at the Villa game.  I arrived at least 90 minutes beforehand, was sent to the tent for help who sent me to the box office for a replacement ticket. I ended getting to my seat as the game was kicking off.

Since then I have had to use the lift due to health issues and there is no machine to check the tickets just a steward who you show your phone too.

No idea if I will still have a problem when I next go through a turnstile.

56 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

The whole situation is really making me feel disillusioned now. So much so it’s totally affecting my entire match day experience. I felt as flat as a pancake yesterday. It’s not meant to be like this. 

There’s a plethora of reasons for me feeling like shit at a game now. But having gone to a good few games this season - my main theory has to be that I’m randomly allocated a seat. I absolutely hate it. Every game, a different seat. Every game a different stand or section. Because you haven’t selected it you haven’t really got a clue where you’re going to be. Fortunately I have an understanding of the turnstiles, accesses, blocks etc. So I can find my seat easily enough. But lord knows what it’s like for people who’ve rarely stepped foot in the ground. 

Exactly. It's a shocking system in so many ways and needs to be ditched, pronto. There is no other entertainment industry where the customer has no choice in where they sit within the venue and football should be no different.

If the club are trying to attract a new audience to SJP then they are probably doing an awful job of it, as I imagine most people will be getting sick of the new system of chaos already. And a fair few long-term supporters might be considering jacking it all in and just watching on the TV too.

Maybe this is their way of addressing the capacity issue. Piss enough people off so that 52k is actually enough.

thought the atmosphere was fine yesterday, just felt like a standard match. although I do sit back of the Gallowgate which is basically a vacuum :lol: very rarely hear the away fans, so if people saying Burnley were good I really have no idea. the acoustics are completely fucked.

in terms of the turnstiles, took about 5 minutes to get in, despite the massive queues. there's an issue with people queuing for the exact one on their ticket, or the one they've always used, when plenty nearby have next to no queues and bring you out in exactly the same place. it's the same every game. for the match on Wed, 60/61 I think it was in the Gallowgate sitting empty and there's hundreds queuing to get in the one next door. bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss to alleviate the situation. or some staff out there directing traffic.

they're not going to change the system back, so we have to look at solutions. another fact is the current infrastructure doesn't support the amount of people going to the match. going for a piss at half time can take about 15 minutes. getting out the ground even longer. the club need to figure that out before considering any expansion.

if there’s 50,000 people needing a half time piss there’s not really an easy solution to that 😂 just thank your lucky stars it’s not the old gallowgate piss troughs out the back with a river of piss streaming down the stairs at full time when trying to leave 😫

2 minutes ago, Big River said:

thought the atmosphere was fine yesterday, just felt like a standard match. although I do sit back of the Gallowgate which is basically a vacuum :lol: very rarely hear the away fans, so if people saying Burnley were good I really have no idea. the acoustics are completely fucked.

in terms of the turnstiles, took about 5 minutes to get in, despite the massive queues. there's an issue with people queuing for the exact one on their ticket, or the one they've always used, when plenty nearby have next to no queues and bring you out in exactly the same place. it's the same every game. for the match on Wed, 60/61 I think it was in the Gallowgate sitting empty and there's hundreds queuing to get in the one next door. bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss to alleviate the situation. or some staff out there directing traffic.

they're not going to change the system back, so we have to look at solutions. another fact is the current infrastructure doesn't support the amount of people going to the match. going for a piss at half time can take about 15 minutes. getting out the ground even longer. the club need to figure that out before considering any expansion.

Exactly why a new stadium is required. Imagine what SJP will be like if they do somehow manage to extend it to 65K.

I've been thinking about the extension though, and realised that even if they do somehow manage to stick another tier on the East Stand the chances are that the majority of the seats will be corporate. That leaves just an extra 7000-ish seats in Gallowgate Level 7. Not enough for the true demand of an NUFC being ran as an elite club, and with shite views and poor accoustics too.

There needs to be a new stadium within the city centre. Or literally knocking SJP down, stage-by-stage, and moving the pitch north-west to allow a whole new design of stadium to sit on more-or-less the same footprint.

5 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Think both extension and new stadium are beginning to look like wishful thinking. There has been no sign of intent on either since the new owners arrived going on two years ago. 

They’ve commissioned a feasibility study on an extension?

11 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Think both extension and new stadium are beginning to look like wishful thinking. There has been no sign of intent on either since the new owners arrived going on two years ago. 

Absolute nonsense. There are just other priorities but things are moving constantly in the background.

16 hours ago, duo said:

Am not sure where the best place to say it but something has to be done about the ticketing system to get into the ground.  It is becoming dangerous, now. Fights were about to kick off today due to the lack of any sort of organisation from the club.  The digital apps are causing delays - I saw multiple people trying to get it to scan and it not working.  Which in turn is causing huge queues of people trying to get in.  But the stewards did nothing to organise these queues so you had in some case two lines trying to get into one turnstile.  And tensions were getting raised as a result.  People need to complain to the club as there needs to be some organisation.  

East Stand again, second game in a row - they just started waving people through without scanning the ticket. I don’t know what it’s like elsewhere, but on that side of the ground evident the infrastructure in terms of the number of turnstiles cannot support it.

Edited by GeordieT

2 hours ago, NUFC91 said:

Exactly this point, it's because we have entitled fans mate, we should easily of been able to get an end but instead Dave and Karen who have sat in Gallowgate for 20 gears think they own the seats. Telling me if 8000k stand they all getting letters...

These be the same folk who clap attendance, ask people to sit down when corner is being taken and have uproar if anyone mentions a new stadium. Believe me a ne stadium with 8k standing is appealing to me.

Dave and Karen are cunts

Thought it was flat yesterday.

I know some people drove who usually get bus because there were strikes, although arriva buses still running, go northeast were not. So I guess there were a number of people who usually have a few pre match pints who didn't yesterday, some people are more boisterous after a few beers I guess.

That may or may not have been a factor yesterday, but I agree that in general something needs to be done to help improve atmosphere. 

On the turnstile thing I go in early  - about 45 mins before KO turnstiles 19-22 in leazes and its fine.

The leazes/East stand corner looks like carnage though.

Edited by Bally21

Still think should be mlre emphasis from wor flags on actual singing than flags as well.

Worst thing about ground is far too much of mix in stands, still don't know why seat moves were not offered past couple years, why not offer fans seat moves so more vocal fans can sit together etc 

5 hours ago, LFEE said:

Quite a lot of buses in Newcastle are not Go Northeast. There were still buses to catch not that I see it as an excuse.

Probably the membership thread best for this discussion.

Agree it’s a farce in one regard and predicted on here tempers would start flaring after experiencing the Villa game but people are still turning up to late to get in. They’ve been informed to get their much earlier and still not listening for the sake of an extra pint in the pub and turning up 20mins before the game or less. If you go to a gig you turn up at least an hour or more to get in and get comfortable before a show starts. Not sure why the majority of people can’t do the same for the match. Makes more of a pre match spectacle also when people in earlier. Sadly too many people are just obsessed with drinking.

Didn’t hear it myself (I’m in Gallowgate not far from safe standing) but did raise this topic on here not long ago about this chant. Thought it had died a natural deaf or had a word change at least.

It's not just drinking though is it

More people work weekends than ever before. People take their kids various different places on a weekend. People need childcare

Plenty reasons to why people can't get to the ground til a certain time. Not just drinking like...

It wasn't a problem last season was it.

Edited by jack j

19 hours ago, SteV said:

The fact that there’s such a disparity in experiences of getting in between stands, just isn’t right.

@Greg sure the Trust have probably raised already, but sounds like there’s  certain parts of the ground that need immediate attention from the club.

Yep - we are and will continue to do so. Meeting club next week - is on the agenda. 

8 hours ago, NUFC91 said:

Fully agree with this other than moving stadium. It would rip something away from us I fear.

It’s all about opinions and mine is that every “new” stadium is soulless, no matter how hard they try for that not to be the case. Even Spurs.