Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

42 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Sorry for being a dick by the way. Just sick of pretty much being blamed for preferring the ballot system so kicking out a bit. You're all good people.

I don't think anyone has blamed individuals, just a large group on here dislike the ballot and really hate allocated seating. But it works better for you and I don't think anyone would take issue with that.

Although, if you're getting a ballot ticket then playing on your phone when the match is on, taking vids of the opposition scoring, going for beer at 30 mins, leaving for home at 80 mins and sitting in silence apart from to tell other people to sit down and be quiet. Then we are blaming you. 100%. [emoji38]

Edited by bobbydazzla
Safety smiley

Wanted to ask a question regarding ticketing and with this thread having the biggest discussion on it I thought I'd post in here.

I'm coming back to Newcastle from Australia in May and the only home game on while I'm there is the last home game of the season against Brighton. Obviously I'd love to attend and I'd love to take my son who will turn two at the end of January. 

My questions are this;

There's a lot of talk about tickets being resold on 3rd party sites, and while this is something I know annoys local fans, it seems this will be the only way I'll be able to secure a ticket without a membership. 

What kind of costs will I be looking at for a ticket on these sites? 

And realistically, how feasible is it to take a kid of that age to a game? Is there a family room at SJP I could use to change nappies, or maybe sit in for a bit if he gets restless? And is there any particular section I'd need to sit in to access these services? 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Izakaya said:

Wanted to ask a question regarding ticketing and with this thread having the biggest discussion on it I thought I'd post in here.

I'm coming back to Newcastle from Australia in May and the only home game on while I'm there is the last home game of the season against Brighton. Obviously I'd love to attend and I'd love to take my son who will turn two at the end of January. 

My questions are this;

There's a lot of talk about tickets being resold on 3rd party sites, and while this is something I know annoys local fans, it seems this will be the only way I'll be able to secure a ticket without a membership. 

And realistically, how feasible is it to take a kid of that age to a game? Is there a family room at SJP I could use to change nappies, or maybe sit in for a bit if he gets restless? And is there any particular section I'd need to sit in to access these services? 

Thanks 

I don't have kids but seems a bit pointless to attend with a kid that young. He's too young to remember anything about it and the occasional (:bluestar:) noise can probably be scary to him. You would also potentially ruin your own experience that most likely doesn't happen that often due to your location.

My eldest is five and I still haven’t wanted to bring her to St. James’ as her concentration is shocking. She’d lose interest after a minute. All kids are different but I don’t know many two year olds that would get much from the match I don’t think, certainly not be able to get through the whole thing 

1 hour ago, Izakaya said:

My questions are this;

Thanks 

Mate, no offence, but taking a two year to a game is utterly pointless, and I can only see it being a stressful experience for all involved.

Appreciate that coming from Oz you want to take every chance you can get to attend, and you might not know when the next time will be when you get to go with him. But, regardless, it isn’t the place for a two year old.

If you wanted to go yourself though, investigate getting an overseas membership. Wouldn’t guarantee anything, but would give you a chance at a reasonable cost.

Failing that, closer to the time you might find someone on here that’s prepared to transfer you there ticket at FV. Obviously will probably depend on what’s riding on the game as to how likely that is.

Failing that, then third party sites are an option, and whilst people on here have used them successfully, it’s always iffy. Cost-wise, could be anything from <£100 if there’s nothing riding on the game, to bank loan territory if there’s something massive on it.

Also, be aware that the date of the game isn’t set in stone yet. Could be anywhere across that weekend Fri - Mon, so be careful with your travel plans.

Think 2 is maybe too young but it depends on the kid as they are all different. My lad was 3 when I took him to his first game and he was completely engrossed in it from start to finish and has been like that ever since, but you see bairns there of 6 and 7 and don't have the attention span to sit through it.

I’ve been regularly going to games since 2005. It has always been the version of Blaydon Races sung at x3 speed and with the wrong words. 

Probably better off it dies out if that’s the shite that gets belted out. Absolutely butchered our own song/chant.

Edited by Lush Vlad

29 minutes ago, SteV said:

Mate, no offence, but taking a two year to a game is utterly pointless, and I can only see it being a stressful experience for all involved.

Appreciate that coming from Oz you want to take every chance you can get to attend, and you might not know when the next time will be when you get to go with him. But, regardless, it isn’t the place for a two year old.

If you wanted to go yourself though, investigate getting an overseas membership. Wouldn’t guarantee anything, but would give you a chance at a reasonable cost.

Failing that, closer to the time you might find someone on here that’s prepared to transfer you there ticket at FV. Obviously will probably depend on what’s riding on the game as to how likely that is.

Failing that, then third party sites are an option, and whilst people on here have used them successfully, it’s always iffy. Cost-wise, could be anything from <£100 if there’s nothing riding on the game, to bank loan territory if there’s something massive on it.

Also, be aware that the date of the game isn’t set in stone yet. Could be anywhere across that weekend Fri - Mon, so be careful with your travel plans.

Yeah fair enough. He's currently permanently stuck in turbo mode at the minute so yeah, his attention span won't be big enough to sit through 2hrs of football, even if I do stick Ms Rachel on my phone for him to watch. Thought I'd ask as I always see kids of all ages right down to babies at the MCG to watch AFL games, but obviously PL football is a way different atmosphere. 

I'm back from the 1st to 17th May so hopefully it isn't rescheduled too much. 

10 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I’ve been regularly going to games since 2005. It has always been the version of Blaydon Races sung at x3 speed and with the wrong words. 

Probably better off it dies out if that’s the shite that gets belted out. Absolutely butchered our own song/chant.

Even the Blaydon Races sang quickly is better than Bruno on the middle and ei ei ei oh

5 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

Yeah fair enough. He's currently permanently stuck in turbo mode at the minute so yeah, his attention span won't be big enough to sit through 2hrs of football, even if I do stick Ms Rachel on my phone for him to watch. Thought I'd ask as I always see kids of all ages right down to babies at the MCG to watch AFL games, but obviously PL football is a way different atmosphere. 

I'm back from the 1st to 17th May so hopefully it isn't rescheduled too much. 

You never know, the Champions League Semi Final second legs are set for the 7/8th May…

If it counts for anything, Howe seemed genuinely mystified by the question in the presser about the owners' tweets re the atmosphere.

For all we might bemoan the noise in the ground - with years/decades/generations of experiences to compare with 2023 - the players and staff always seem to be genuinely galvanised by SJP.

7 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

I'm wanting to take my pet snake to the match on Saturday. Is there any snake facilities ? He doesn't like noise, so can the rest of you just fuck off for most the game 

Just stick his ear defenders on and give him a fun and laughter bar.

8 hours ago, Yorkie said:

If it counts for anything, Howe seemed genuinely mystified by the question in the presser about the owners' tweets re the atmosphere.

For all we might bemoan the noise in the ground - with years/decades/generations of experiences to compare with 2023 - the players and staff always seem to be genuinely galvanised by SJP.

Mehrad was at St Pancras yesterday surrounded by quite a few of our fans. I wasn’t close enough to hear what was being said but I assume he was backtracking. 

On another note was great getting off the Eurostar and hearing “an N and an E and. wubble U, C” belting round the Gare du Nord.  Spoke to a canny few favs without tickets so whilst not on Dortmund proportions reckon there’s a canny turnout here. 

Bringing kids to games is how you set up a lifelong love of the club and get new generations coming through. Not everyone needs to be singing their lungs out every minute and it’s the responsibility of the older fans to do that. However, there’s a fine line. I’d only take my daughters if I thought they would focus on it for the 90 mins otherwise it would ruin the game for me 

5 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

People wanting to take young kids is one of the reasons the atmosphere is shite these days tbh. Going to the football was never meant to be a family day out.

One of the strangest things I've read this week. Granted it is only 9:07 Tuesday. 

Whilst I do believe the atmosphere at St James' has changed (I do feel this is a widespread issue across PL, Villa fans are discussing the same thing on their forums for example), ther is definitely some revisionism going on here in regards to atmospheres.

Trust need to make this a high priority and seek changes by the club going into next season. If they want St James' to be one of the most Intimidating places to go for away teams, then they need to allow for a structure that gets the most fervent supporters together in a standing/singing section.

It almost feels to easy when you say it, but for some reason the ticketing is a mess.