Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

On 19/02/2024 at 20:46, Slim said:

Say this every time and was same again.  It's the season ticket holders that don't.

Until we get rid of them nothing is gonna change.

If that were true, then the league cup games would have the best atmospheres of the lot.  But they don’t. 

Lots of chatter on social media about Leeds' brilliant atmosphere at Elland Road last night. Interesting how looking at this video of it, & the demographic seems to be widespread kids in their 20s and early 30s. An all new extended SJP should allow us to get this kind of crowd into our stadium.

That’s class. But if I’m honest I was thinking the opposite in regards to demographic. Seems to be mostly blokes between the ages of 20-60. The demographic most likely to create an atmosphere.

I think at James’ has more wide spread demographic with a few more elderly people there.

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

Lots of chatter on social media about Leeds' brilliant atmosphere at Elland Road last night. Interesting how looking at this video of it, & the demographic seems to be widespread kids in their 20s and early 30s. An all new extended SJP should allow us to get this kind of crowd into our stadium.

Singing along to a local bands song as well, instead of the generic shite we have to suffer.

Back to the point though and you’re right to get any atmosphere back we need more groups of younger lads, not families and tourists, but fucking match going lads who go to the pub have a few pints then get behind the lads.

It’s killing our fanbase and worry the likes of Silverstone will kill our support for good.

SJP used to be one of the most feared radged up places to come on its day, we can barely muster a murmur for the big games these days it’s embarrassing.

Edited by Whitley mag

8 hours ago, Wandy said:

wasnt all that great when we drew at elland rd last season or beat them the year before.

theyre flying in the champo. so that helps.

Edited by huss9

It was shite until they turned it around on Friday tbf.

I’ve no idea what is wrong with ours. I can only come up with a guess it’s expectations. Our best atmospheres (particularly at home) are when we feel aggrieved, our atmospheres under Ashley were also largely built on unified anger.

Now people expect to turn up and see us win. When we don’t, they’re more flat.

Think this will be the most interesting out of all the ones they've done. I don't think a lot of people think there is a problem with the atmosphere inside SJP. Be interesting to see what's suggested

On 25/02/2024 at 00:34, huss9 said:

wasnt all that great when we drew at elland rd last season or beat them the year before.

theyre flying in the champo. so that helps.

This. Its been swings and roundabouts there like anywhere else and using an example when its good. Its been alternately dead/toxic and a den a few times since the 80s and don't recall anybody holding it up in the post hooligan days as anything special until very recently.  Same with Forest. 

Could very easily at any point in the PL era find terrible atmospheres there (specifically recall a West Ham game around 2001, think Fowler scored)

They're the joint best away fans at SJP over my time though, with Man United.

Shout-out to the fat cunt sat next to me in Leazes West corner today. Arrived 20 minutes late, absolutely steaming. Proceeded to loudly talk to himself the whole match, calling various players "not good enough", groaning when we passed backwards and shouting "pathetic" when a more adventurous pass didn't come off. 

Mercifully went quiet towards the end as his half time pint started to wear off. The biggest shock of the match was that he stayed til the end, presumably cos he couldn't be bothered to get off his fat useless arse. Whoppers like this make the day worse for everyone around them. 

Was in the bar 1892 Milburn section today. Absolutely dead. All game long, I joined in a bunch of songs that were being sung from the Gallowgate only a couple of murmurs from others in the entire game. All ages really

There’s a large group of season ticket holders who would benefit from having their tickets taken off them, even if just temporarily, as the enforced absence might rekindle some enjoyment from going to games 

Posted this in the match thread but will stick in here too

Special mention to the season ticket holder I had the pleasure of being next to, what an afternoon they had: 

Turn up at 3.05

Call Longstaff a useless ginger twat for 30 mins

Go for a pint on 35 mins

Come back 5 mins into half time

Call Longstaff a useless ginger twat for 30 mins

Say “I’ve had enough of this” and leave on 80 mins 

The loyalest football supporters the world has ever had 

Edited by bobbydazzla

We seriously need mass seat relocation. 

1- get kids away from away fans and get some lads standing.

2- need an standing area in leazes asap.

3- good areas for atmosphere taking up by boring fuckers. Look at the leazes/east stand corner. Lads in that corner are fucking muted.

4- need younger fans in the ground.

Hopefully this workshop they put on fans all say same thing.  We seriously need to move people man.

Edited by NUFC91

I think for many season ticket holders it’s a case of familiarity breeds contempt

I’ve had the same experience in all 4 stands over the last couple of seasons. Season ticket holders just turning up out of habit to piss and moan throughout the match. They take no joy from being in the ground. 

They could do with a break, for their own sanity. Either to allow them to remember what it is they enjoy about being at the match, or to accept that they don’t actually enjoy it and find something better to do.

It’s a depressing situation really, miserable negative people clinging on to their tickets just for the sake of it. 

Edited by bobbydazzla

Had a discussion with a long standing match mate tonight whom is in his 60's. General feeling, not just for him, but for me also, was that there simply isn't enough young pissed lads together.

Have to say I agree.

It isn't popular because the way football is rightly going. It's more sanitised and accessible.

There has to be a happy medium, I'm not sure what it is.

Edited by Heron

Just now, Heron said:

Had a discussion with a long standing match mate tonight whom is in his 60's. General feeling, not just for him, but for me also, was that there simply isn't enough young pissed lads together.

Have to say I agree.

It isn't popular because the way football is rightly going. It's more sanitised and accessible.

Mate this is exactly it.

The only fix is doing a big relocation. To me i'd love to make level 4 of leazes standing and get soms interaction with away fans. Even couple thousand next to away fans would make a difference. 

Yep, it’s not going to get resolved without the club making themselves unpopular and shuffling people around. 

You only really need a couple of areas where people persistently sing to drastically improve the atmosphere.