Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

I can understand makingvtickets non-transferrable but maybe there should have been an amnesty, like there was with season tickets, so someone who had built up points on someone else's season ticket could transfer to their membership and be able to apply that way.

I've two mates that live down south and rarely miss an away game since the 90s who built up points on someone else's season ticket who now can't go.

After being at the Etihad yesterday with work, I’m starting to edge towards the idea that we’re going to need a brand new stadium sooner rather than later.

Extending St James’ feels like it would be papering over the issue. Ultimately we’d be extending the Gallowgate for a stupid price, only to need a brand new stadium in 10 years time.

The professionalism, sleekness, and the hospitality at the Etihad are all streets ahead of St James. If commercial revenue is needed, a bigger better stadium is needed.

(and I know I know, it’s not all about money, but I think we’ll end up holding ourselves back)

The away end at City is shite for getting an atmosphere going mind. Last time I went I was top tier and we were all singing but you’re just so detached from the other two tiers that getting a good atmosphere going, where everyone is singing in harmony is impossible.

Just now, Danh1 said:

The away end at City is shite for getting an atmosphere going mind. Last time I went I was top tier and we were all singing but you’re just so detached from the other two tiers that getting a good atmosphere going, where everyone is singing in harmony is impossible.

thats what it felt like yesterday.

at times the upper 2 levels were singing completely differents songs to level 1.

7 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

After being at the Etihad yesterday with work, I’m starting to edge towards the idea that we’re going to need a brand new stadium sooner rather than later.

Extending St James’ feels like it would be papering over the issue. Ultimately we’d be extending the Gallowgate for a stupid price, only to need a brand new stadium in 10 years time.

The professionalism, sleekness, and the hospitality at the Etihad are all streets ahead of St James. If commercial revenue is needed, a bigger better stadium is needed.

(and I know I know, it’s not all about money, but I think we’ll end up holding ourselves back)

I did the Etihad stadium tour a few years ago. It's not much to look at from the outside, but on the inside it's a fantastic stadium. And the steepness of the stands lends for creating a good atmosphere too. I think the roof design lets it down a bit though as the noise isn't contained as well as it could be.

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

Is it the case that only season ticket holders can apply for away games? That is ridiculous if true. 

If the club are genuinely trying to create a meritocracy for ticket-availability then members need to be able to apply for away tickets and have as much of a chance as ST holders.

When loads of members who’ve been regular match goers can’t even get into Home games anymore, the likelihood of them opening Aways out to members is slim to none

The entire new ticketing policy Home & Away is a shambles

And what makes it worse is the absolute silence from the club on why the changes have been implemented in such a dysfunctional way 

8 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

This is the kind of story that if true is a fucking disgrace. The fan involved should be seeking a full refund on travel and compensation from

club.

poor lass.

there were a couple of lads i know with digital tickets getting a paper copy from the box office to try con their mates way in.

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

This digital ticketing is clearly in operation at a few clubs now, but the key question is are other clubs being as draconian as us with ID checks and threatening people with loss of loyalty points and tickets etc.

Brighton defo are but not sure they’re giving people snide tickets on purpose. :lol: 

2 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

When loads of members who’ve been regular match goers can’t even get into Home games anymore, the likelihood of them opening Aways out to members is slim to none

The entire new ticketing policy Home & Away is a shambles

And what makes it worse is the absolute silence from the club on why the changes have been implemented in such a dysfunctional way 

Sort of thing NUST should be all over, but aren't. Maybe the new system works better for the people on their board, but they don't seem all that interested.

Only Brighton and Leicester (who aren't in the PL anymore) are clubs I'm aware of who have random ID checks. But Leicester keep a batch of tickets back which have to be collected at the away box office. Their fans despise it. 

So draconian, 1984-esque bollocks. I just want to go and support my club, man. :lol:

Edited by HaydnNUFC

We keep hearing how easy it was to get away tickets pre-October 2021, so why did so many people apparently have to get their mates to get them tickets and therefore don't have any loyalty points of their own? 

Genuine question, I haven't done aways since the 09/10 Championship season and that's so long ago I can't even remember how it worked then.

My guess is they weren't season ticket holders. Members could regularly get away tickets up until the takeover (there was even public sale for a few) so maybe the younguns didn't have season tickets and got in that way, but now you'd need a ST or know someone with one to get one.

Other thing is the buses have always supplied tickets to people as part of the package with paying for travel, so I assume loads just did that for years and never needed to bother buying tickets through their own numbers etc 

16 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Sort of thing NUST should be all over, but aren't. Maybe the new system works better for the people on their board, but they don't seem all that interested.

I might be wrong. But wasn’t it NUST/the TF lot that were moaning about the away tickets and it not being ‘fair’? 

16 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Nail on head, they should be challenging the club on these draconian measures, don’t seem interested in rocking the boat though.

Own personal circumstances are I had a ST between 2016-2019 but couldn't afford aways. Was at school, dad was working, a lot of my NUFC mates didn't have STs. Didn't renew when moving to uni because of the price hike, logistical nightmare of getting to games when at uni and Benitez leaving. 

Only Southampton away in March 2022 post takeover has went to members AFAIK. So for me to get to aways I've got tickets from those with points who genuinely couldn't go. So I'd get to 2 or 3 a season for arguments sake at best. And that's fine with me, I only want to get to 2 or 3 a season. But now I can't as I don't want to risk people's points for the sake of me, on top of the risk of not getting into the ground anyway. 

To top it all off they've made home games hard to get to as well. Was lucky for Villa resale but am currently 0/2 in the ballots. So need to be incredibly lucky to get to home games and I can never access aways anymore until I can get my hands on a ST again which won't be for years yet. Its deflating as fuck.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

16 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Only Brighton and Leicester (who aren't in the PL anymore) are clubs I'm aware of who have random ID checks. But Leicester keep a batch of tickets back which have to be collected at the away box office. Their fans despise it. 

So draconian, 1984-esque bollocks. I just want to go and support my club, man. :lol:

Horrible that but better than rocking up to the turnstile full of Santa’s eyebrows and mortal drunk with the anxiety that your ticket might not graft. 

24 minutes ago, Rich said:

Why does nobody ever criticise NUSC? :lol:

Exactly. Too easy to criticise the NUST. Some of the posts recently have left me scratching my head but I guess when someone has an agenda against something there’s just no arguing with them. I’ve given up trying to educate them. Didn’t seem that long ago we we’re getting told there was no need for a NUST now we have new owners.