Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

6 minutes ago, OptimusSlime said:

I was thinking about capacity and the ground when in St James today.  The thing is if you are the owners (Staveley, Rueben, PIF are investing, want success but are ultimately capitalists looking at Chelsea, Spurs etc for inspiration) - do you:-

A) Spend at least £80 million expanding the ground to say 64k (that’s what Anfield cost apparently)?  Then make an extra say £12 million per year (12k seats x £1k per season ticket)

B) Spend £1 billion to build a new stadium (cost of Spurs ground apparently) to make an extra £15 to £20 million per year depending how many seats you fit in?

C) Keep ground as is.  Get rid of the cheaper family enclosure, add 30% to all season tickets and make an extra minimum of £9 million per year instantly (30k season tickets x average £300 per year increase)

Spurs new ground made a lot more since as they were stuck with 36k seats at White Hart Lane.  I don’t see how the investment makes sense for a brand new stadium for us unless unless we are adding at least 25k additional seats.  Unless we are taking about a new stadium being a PIF vanity project.

It's not really about seats (not entirely anyway) it's about corporate. 

Think about The Barracks for example, that's the cheapest hospitality option I think and someone sitting there at £200ish a pop is earning you four or five times as much as someone sat in L7.

1 hour ago, Keegans Export said:

It's not really about seats (not entirely anyway) it's about corporate. 

Think about The Barracks for example, that's the cheapest hospitality option I think and someone sitting there at £200ish a pop is earning you four or five times as much as someone sat in L7.

So again why build a new stadium/spend up to or over £100m on an expansion if you can just turn existing areas of the ground corporate?  Save a fortune on investment and make loads more £££ from current St James (with some modernisation/luxury added).

I saw an advert for “The Wings” the newest hospitality area this weekend on the big screen.  That to be added to the former Sports Bar in the Milburn end and the “Rooftops” - it’s happening already. 

4 minutes ago, OptimusSlime said:

So again why build a new stadium/spend up to or over £100m on an expansion if you can just turn existing areas of the ground corporate?  Save a fortune on investment and make loads more £££ from current St James (with some modernisation/luxury added).

I saw an advert for “The Wings” the newest hospitality area this weekend on the big screen.  That to be added to the former Sports Bar in the Milburn end and the “Rooftops” - it’s happening already. 

Because that would be to the detriment of the atmosphere and that is one of the things that attracted them to the club. The unique fanbase it has. 

Aside from that you need to have a certain amount of family seating and thirdly the NE is not exactly awash with money so ultimately they could end up simply pricing people out.

An expansion of the current ground up to 60/65k is still the best option by a mile.

19 minutes ago, OptimusSlime said:

Because our owners are exceptionally wealthy but are prevented just pumping cash in by FFP. So they can spend loads on something not covered by FFP (stadium) to raise something that will count towards our FFP income (match day revenue)

There's also part of me that thinks the Saudi's will ultimately want a best-in-class stadium which I don't think is possible by renovating the current site (unless you demolish it) although that could just be me following the stereotype.

I honestly think that we will get a rebuild by slightly moving the stadiums footprint. That would be either north into Leazers Park, or south over Metro Station. We will possibly try to get closer to Barrack Road.

As people say, corporate will play a big part. A lot of NFL stadiums now have 100 or more corporate boxes, and I can football stadiums going a similar way.

1 minute ago, JackieDoor said:

Interesting to see (hear) what it's like tomorrow, i'm in the posh seats so will be difficult to tell.

Should be decent enough being first game and later kick off.

How posh? In the new Rooftop place? Make sure you drink all that free Champagne.

11 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

How posh? In the new Rooftop place? Make sure you drink all that free Champagne.

Barracks, went for the cheapest, just wanted to gurantee being at the first game and avoid the ballot etc.

Spurs ground makes sense as they can host lots of other events to make money, NFL being a good example. If we had a mega new stadium would we get the same events, I doubt it. 

I'm in favour of extending, build the gallowgate over the road and rebuild east stand.

The “atmosphere” is just going to get worse as the club gets better imo. The normies who only have a casual interest in the club will start pushing out some of the serial masochists who were filling the ground throughout the Ashley years.

It will still be a better atmosphere than basically any other club on any other sport in the world. That’s what makes Newcastle special.

2 minutes ago, oldtype said:

The “atmosphere” is just going to get worse as the club gets better imo. The normies who only have a casual interest in the club will start pushing out some of the serial masochists who were filling the ground throughout the Ashley years.

It will still be a better atmosphere than basically any other club on any other sport in the world. That’s what makes Newcastle special.

Atmosphere is nowhere near as good as some teams in Europe and South America.

2 minutes ago, Sima said:

Atmosphere is nowhere near as good as some teams in Europe and South America.

I should caveat that as “any club in a major, globally-televised league.” I’m sure it’s never going to be as good as that Mexican second division team I visited once where it was just five hundred insane people drinking and screaming.

Edited by oldtype

And for anyone worrying about miserable folk refusing to move out the corner and wanting to sit down, didn't happen. Maybe 7/8 people across the full front row of the corner sat down, that's it. 

Thoroughly enjoyed "we're Newcastle and wa gonna win the league". Been too long since we've heard that