Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

25 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Gutted I’ll basically never get on the back row of the NE corner again. :'(

Quite a few of us were members and would purposefully select those seats. 

Yep. Me and the bairn were always nearby and loved the atmosphere you lads created.

47 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Yep. Me and the bairn were always nearby and loved the atmosphere you lads created.

Cheers man. There’s a few ST holders up there who’ll no doubt keep it going. However, there was also a very large membership congregation in that section too. 

The club are fucking  tbh. Our atmosphere is one of our biggest assets and they’ll get rid of it if they’re not too careful. How long before some fans realise they can’t afford to pay £1000-£2000 for a Gallowgate or Leazes ST in the future? How many Wor Flags lads and lasses may be priced out? These are serious questions.

2 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Cheers man. There’s a few ST holders up there who’ll no doubt keep it going. However, there was also a very large membership congregation in that section too. 

The club are fucking regarded tbh. Our atmosphere is one of our biggest assets and they’ll get rid of it if they’re not too careful. How long before some fans realise they can’t afford to pay £1000-£2000 for a Gallowgate or Leazes ST in the future? How many Wor Flags lads and lasses may be priced out? These are serious questions.

All agreed. Me and the bairn are members as well (for now) so like you we won’t have the choice to go back there anyway.

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

The club are fucking  tbh. Our atmosphere is one of our biggest assets and they’ll get rid of it if they’re not too careful. How long before some fans realise they can’t afford to pay £1000-£2000 for a Gallowgate or Leazes ST in the future? How many Wor Flags lads and lasses may be priced out? These are serious questions.

Good point about the Wor Flags folk. Hope the majority of them have ST's. Shitter if they're scattered all over (if they're lucky to win tickets).

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

Still think alot of this is caused by not looking at mass seat moves and structure of St James. 

If theres 8k tickets sold per match to members why not offe those seats to current season ticket holders and bunch together genereal sale to certain area/stand.

For example if the strawberry corner/gallogate end is more sort after give people chance to move. Thats what will kill atmosphere more so. Apparently 2500 applied for 70 safe standing season tickets

Why not offer those a chance to swap to current members sale seats in the gallowgate.

That and to stop moany fuckers thinking they own place.

That being said, memberships aside, if i was wor flags i'd target atmosphere more than flags. More particular leazes end and try mimic gallowgate. Only reason I say wor flags as got more following.

I like to have a good whinge about atmosphere, as people probably know.

But there was a better atmosphere today than all cup games at home last year, think the standing section made a big difference. Hoping it does the same in the league game 

6 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

But there was a better atmosphere today than all cup games at home last year, think the standing section made a big difference. Hoping it does the same in the league game 

the needed another one in the north east corner.

16 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

The atmospheres at the quarter and semi finals last year were brilliant 

2 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

I was abroad for the quarters, but the semis were horrific in the Leazes end.

I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about. The first half of the semi wasps spine tingling at times. Second half very nervy.

“horrific”😂

3 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about. The first half of the semi wasps spine tingling at times. Second half very nervy.

“horrific”😂

Fair enough mate. I was near the back of the Leazes level 4 for the semi and the ground was pretty silent for most of the first and the second half. We must beg to differ

Edited by TheDimpleboy

1 hour ago, TheDimpleboy said:

Fair enough mate. I was near the back of the Leazes level 4 for the semi and the ground was pretty silent for most of the first and the second half. We must beg to differ

Normally I stick up for the atmosphere as where I am in the gallowgate near strawberry corner is pretty good.

But I've got to agree with you here, the atmosphere for the semi-final was poor. Too many nerves perhaps.

1 hour ago, Shadow Puppets said:

“horrific”😂

Must depend where you were sitting. I was up Level 7 for the Semi Final and it was completely dead.

38 minutes ago, Rich said:

There's some mackematics at play with us announcing an attendance of 36,725 today, right?

possibly ticket sales?

know a few who bought weekend tickets but gave today a miss but will be going tomorrow.

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

Pretty much the whole lower bowl was filled right, with an empty level 7?

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

back of the gallowgate was empty.

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Nah, pretty much the entire of the gallowgate upper was empty. No more than 200 across the lot and that's being generous. Majority of Leazes level 4 corned empty too 

Parts of the Leazes/Milburn had people seated in line with/above the lower bowl but below L7 I thought the 34k attendance today sounded accurate.  Yesterday they issued pass outs too.  Those are outstanding numbers for 2 x consecutive days of freindlies whichever way you spin it.

Thought the atmosphere today was strong for a friendly primarily due to Strawberry corner standing section.  Like having a block of Newcastle away fans at St James.  Villarreal acting like shits at times helped.

We are going to need more safe standing.

On 01/08/2023 at 14:41, TheGuv said:

I was thinking about capacity and the ground when in St James today.  The thing is if you are the owners (Staveley, Rueben, PIF are investing, want success but are ultimately capitalists looking at Chelsea, Spurs etc for inspiration) - do you:-

A) Spend at least £80 million expanding the ground to say 64k (that’s what Anfield cost apparently)?  Then make an extra say £12 million per year (12k seats x £1k per season ticket)

B) Spend £1 billion to build a new stadium (cost of Spurs ground apparently) to make an extra £15 to £20 million per year depending how many seats you fit in?

C) Keep ground as is.  Get rid of the cheaper family enclosure, add 30% to all season tickets and make an extra minimum of £9 million per year instantly (30k season tickets x average £300 per year increase)

Spurs new ground made a lot more since as they were stuck with 36k seats at White Hart Lane.  I don’t see how the investment makes sense for a brand new stadium for us unless unless we are adding at least 25k additional seats.  Unless we are taking about a new stadium being a PIF vanity project.