Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

I thought the atmosphere was pretty much on par from last season. Long periods of eerie, uncomfortable silence interspersed by some truly spine-tingling moments of noise & singing.

At least the new ticketing arrangements didn't make it worse though, so that's reassuring.

I really don't think we have bad support. We roar the team on, never get on a player's back & gee them up when we concede a goal. What we have definitely lost though is the ability to keep an atmosphere bubbling along when a game goes flat. In years gone by there would be songs & chants that lift the crowd but now SJP just goes incredibly quiet until something happens to cause a stir.

We definitely need more areas, spread around the stadium, converted into safe standing and made into designated singing sections.

13 hours ago, Heron said:

Great atmosphere today in the Strawberry Corner.  Almost like an away day

Yeah absolutely. Gallowgate centre also great. 

I think when commenting on atmosphere it be good to always mention the part of the ground to judge the problem areas.

Also when criticising ask yourself did you stand up to try and get any chants going or actually were you just sitting quietly and criticising making no positive contribution to it yourself 🙂

17 minutes ago, JackieDoor said:

What are the words to the chant to tune of is this the way to amarillo?

Is this the way to Barcelona?

Bayern Munich…Lazio… or Roma…

The Geordie Boys are taking over…

The Champions League awaits for me!

Edited by LFEE

18 minutes ago, JackieDoor said:

What are the words to the chant to tune of is this the way to amarillo?

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Is this the way to Barcelona.

Bayern Munich? Lazio? or Roma…

The Geordie Boys are taking over…

The Champions League awaits for me!

7 hours ago, LFEE said:

Yeah absolutely. Gallowgate centre also great. 

I think when commenting on atmosphere it be good to always mention the part of the ground to judge the problem areas.

Also when criticising ask yourself did you stand up to try and get any chants going or actually were you just sitting quietly and criticising making no positive contribution to it yourself 🙂

Fair comment, but it also takes a large amount of balls / pints to stand up and sing if you find yourself sitting in a quiet area wishing the atmosphere was better. 

More likely to get told to sidoon an shurrup than get people joining in.

One of the reasons why I dislike being anywhere other than in the corner 

Edited by bobbydazzla

44 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Fair comment, but it also takes a large amount of balls / pints to stand up and sing if you find yourself sitting in a quiet area wishing the atmosphere was better. 

More likely to get told to sidoon an shurrup than get people joining in.

One of the reasons why I dislike being anywhere other than in the corner 

Someone has to start a chant each. If you don’t try at least once or twice don’t bitch and moan (not aimed at you) others aren’t doing so on your behalf.

9 hours ago, Wandy said:

I thought the atmosphere was pretty much on par from last season. Long periods of eerie, uncomfortable silence interspersed by some truly spine-tingling moments of noise & singing.

At least the new ticketing arrangements didn't make it worse though, so that's reassuring.

I really don't think we have bad support. We roar the team on, never get on a player's back & gee them up when we concede a goal. What we have definitely lost though is the ability to keep an atmosphere bubbling along when a game goes flat. In years gone by there would be songs & chants that lift the crowd but now SJP just goes incredibly quiet until something happens to cause a stir.

We definitely need more areas, spread around the stadium, converted into safe standing and made into designated singing sections.

don’t disagree with anything you’ve said but I think we’re in a different world. Those who experienced 80s and early 90s support (I’m too young for earlier) will know it will never come back but tbf the game whilst sanitised is safer - no one would have taken kids to the mackem play off game in 1990- so every cloud..

1 minute ago, timnufc22 said:

Does anyone know how much season ticket presence there is generally in Leazes Level 4? 

Just based on what used to be available in sales I’d guess at 75%+, possibly a tad less towards the corners

I sincerely hope that version of "show me the way to...." doesn't catch on as 

A - it's cringworthy. 

B - I thoroughly despise the vile fat barsteward that released it. 

21 minutes ago, BUJ said:

A - it's cringworthy. 

too late, it's already caught on. unlucky

2 hours ago, BUJ said:

A - it's cringworthy. 

Me and my cousin were off our tits in Rocky’s Bar, Benidorm in June and someone was singing Amarillo on the karaoke and we, being in a creative mood made that version up. So I am sorry. :lol: 

Little did I know that Junior Turner would be releasing it and the Strawberry Corner would be singing the cunt within 2 months 

2 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Me and my cousin were off our tits in Rocky’s Bar, Benidorm in June and someone was singing Amarillo on the karaoke and we, being in a creative mood made that version up. So I am sorry. :lol: 

Little did I know that Junior Turner would be releasing it and the Strawberry Corner would be singing the cunt within 2 months 

Almost all football chants are just cheesy remakes of pop songs - it’s just that writer is usually ‘Anon’.  At least we can blame you now :)

One of my abiding memories of Feyenoord away in 2002 is repeatedly singing our own bastardised version of ‘Rotterdam’ by the Beautiful South …

20 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Am i the only one who quite likes it? [emoji38]

At least it isn't a rip off from another club, i don't think it is anyway.