Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 02/04/23 @ 4.30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

On 29/03/2023 at 13:29, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Potential subs bench on Sunday

Dubs

Targett

Lascelles

Ritchie

Almiron

ASM

Gordon

Wilson

Anderson

Spot the odd man out

What was the answer to this?

10 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It shouldn't happen like, one team can't be United when there are hundreds of uniteds. It's careless and stupid.

FWIW I'm sure the same thing happens with city.

There are many footballers with the surnames Rooney, Gerrard, Keane, Kane etc. There were quite a few Pele's. We know who you're talking about when you use those names.

Everyone knows who you mean when you say United. Everyone knows who you mean when you say City.

It's not a big deal.

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Everyone knows who you mean when you say United. Everyone knows who you mean when you say City.

It's not a big deal.

Im afraid you are out of touch on that one living in Ireland.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Im afraid you are out of touch on that one living in Ireland.

I'm afraid you are in denial. This started with a complaint at the main sports broadcaster referring to us as United in regards to the game this weekend.

Do Sky Sports live in Ireland?

14 minutes ago, Froggy said:

There are many footballers with the surnames Rooney, Gerrard, Keane, Kane etc. There were quite a few Pele's. We know who you're talking about when you use those names.

It's not a big deal.

I'm not sure you're the best person to comment on this :lol:

Just now, The Prophet said:

@FroggyHow are you lot looking on the injury front? I know Casemiro is out, but that's about it.

I would be very surprised to see Garnacho or Eriksen on the bench. Martial might make the bench. I would expect Rashford and Varane to start. Sabitzer touch and go for a start but will make the bench at the least.

Expecting the following:

De Gea

AWB (Dalot)

Varane

Martinez

Shaw

McTominay

Fred (Sabitzer)

Bruno

Rashford

Antony

Weghorst

30 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I'm afraid you are in denial. This started with a complaint at the main sports broadcaster referring to us as United in regards to the game this weekend.

Do Sky Sports live in Ireland?

Wasn’t on about Sky Sports I was on about your most people comment. 

In the context of talking about a club without United in their name then yes people will assume Manchester United because it’s been lazily brainwashed that way on the likes of Sky/Talksport who have strong connections with the club so talk as if they are in company of friends rather than a professional role.

Outside the confines of the media the towns with United in their name wouldn’t assume you were talking about Manchester. Same goes for City.

I do appreciate it will be different in Ireland though.

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Wasn’t on about Sky Sports I was on about your most people comment. 

In the context of talking about a club without United in their name then yes people will assume Manchester United because it’s been lazily brainwashed that way on the likes of Sky/Talksport who have strong connections with the club so talk as if they are in company of friends rather than a professional role.

Outside the confines of the media the towns with United in their name wouldn’t assume you were talking about Manchester. Same goes for City.

I do appreciate it will be different in Ireland though.

It's nothing to do with Ireland. I've lived in many different places including the UK and different continents and it's largely the same. The further away from the UK you get it more blatant it becomes. I agree with you that in Newcastle, if you say United then fans may associate that with Newcastle United and the same goes for other cities who have clubs with United in their name.

However if you are in Liverpool or London for example, if you say United, the vast majority will assume you mean Manchester United. I watch other clubs fan TV sometimes and we're always referred to as United. It's actually rare for me to hear us referred to as Manchester United. I would also agree that media is largely to blame for this, but that doesn't retract from it being true.

I just don't think it's something to be annoyed about. We're referred to as Man U and Manure all the time which are derogatory terms but there's not much uproar caused by that. :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Froggy said:

It's nothing to do with Ireland. I've lived in many different places including the UK and different continents and it's largely the same. The further away from the UK you get it more blatant it becomes. I agree with you that in Newcastle, if you say United then fans may associate that with Newcastle United and the same goes for other cities who have clubs with United in their name.

However if you are in Liverpool or London for example, if you say United, the vast majority will assume you mean Manchester United. I watch other clubs fan TV sometimes and we're always referred to as United. It's actually rare for me to hear us referred to as Manchester United. I would also agree that media is largely to blame for this, but that doesn't retract from it being true.

I just don't think it's something to be annoyed about. We're referred to as Man U and Manure all the time which are derogatory terms but there's not much uproar caused by that. :lol: 

How is Man U derogatory?

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

How is Man U derogatory?

If you have used it you are likely unaware, but it originated from a chant about the Busby Babes.

"Man U Man U went on a plane. Man U Man U never came back again."

"Man U Never Intended Coming Home." 

@Froggy - this might sound like a dig or that I'm looking for a bite and I hand-on-heart am not, but about the "Man U" thing... are you from the area? Are you a youngun? Cos I grew up in Salford in the late 80s/early 90s and I swear down you'd hear reds using it all the time.

As a complete aside, and not claiming it as proof of anything it always makes me think of the Happy Mondays live at Elland Road: 'are you Man U, you?'

Edit: also, cross-post - yr reply just now wasn't there whilst I was typing away.

Edited by enthusiast

Liverpool and London are cities with no clubs with a fixed or unique 'united' in their name, so doesn't apply to the point LFEE was making here:

38 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Edited by Kid Icarus

I think we will go;

Pope

Trippier

Schar

Botman

Burn

Longstaff

Bruno

Willock

Murphy

Isak

Joelinton

Dubs, Targett, Lascelles, Gordon, ASM, Wilson, Anderson, Ritchie & whoever else

I know Man Utd had a great run, but they're definitely beatable if everything clicks. Rashford is a worry, especially after the Liverpool home game when we allowed a fair bit space in behind. 

Hopefully an atmosphere similar to Arsenal last season. I'm a born pessimist but have a good feeling for this one.

1 minute ago, enthusiast said:

@Froggy - this might sound like a dig or that I'm looking for a bite and I hand-on-heart am not, but about the "Man U" thing... are you from the area? Are you a youngun? Cos I grew up in Salford in the late 80s/early 90s and I swear down you'd hear reds using it all the time.

As a complete aside, and not claiming it as proof of anything it always makes me think of the Happy Mondays live at Elland Road: 'are you Man U, you?'

Edit: also, cross-post - yr reply just now wasn't there whilst I was typing away.

No mate, not from the area and I'm mid 30's. I wasn't aware of the term being derogatory myself until I heard it being spoken about in Manchester before a game when I was about 18/19 and then I researched it. I've heard it mentioned a lot since. I don't think it causes massive offence to my generation or even the generation before due to it originating in the 50's, but fans of the club don't like being referred to as Man U due to the association.

1 minute ago, Chicken Dancer said:

I'm sure Neville said recently that he hates 'Man United' - don't they have a few chants referring themselves to Man United?

Obviously could just be his personal preference though.

Nothing wrong with Man United.