Brentford 1-2 Newcastle United (08/04/2023)

Mike

47 minutes ago, Menace said:

Random question but with Sky having highlights 2-3 hours after a game, do people still watch MOTD? Haven't watched in years personally.

For us who don't want to pay a small fortune for sky sports. ? 

3 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

What did we switch to today when Wilson came on? 

Co commentator said 442 but looked like 4231 to me? 

4-4-1-1 I thought 

Just now, Gawalls said:

When they get the penalty it’s - “fantastic the way he got the penalty” then pope saves it, not a word on the save just “that was lazy and easy to save”

Well tbf, it was. No power.

1 minute ago, McDog said:

Well tbf, it was. No power.

I know but keepers aren’t ever expected to save it so even one word to acknowledge that would have been something. I genuinely don’t think she’s mentioned us yet.

Edited by Gawalls

Watching it back, we were obviously not great first half and we could have easily been 3-0 down, but I wasn't impressed by Brentford like.

They're one of those teams where because every player is aggressive, some pretty rough challenges don't stand out and they get away with it. On the flipside, the slightest touch and they're flinging themselves about and winning free kicks. All fine like, no problem with that really, I just don't think it's anything special.

On the ball they remind me of Sheff United in their first season under Chris Wilder. Same formation, same overlapping wing play, same overperforming xG, same set piece prowess, same position in the league at the moment.

They don't strike me as a team who are here to stay in the long term (unless they evolve) and where losing one player could very easily be like pulling a linchpin.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Watching it back, we were obviously not great first half and we could have easily been 3-0 down, but I wasn't impressed by Brentford like.

They're one of those teams where because every player is aggressive, some pretty rough challenges don't stand out and they get away with it. On the flipside, the slightest touch and they're flinging themselves about and winning free kicks. All fine like, no problem with that really, I just don't think it's anything special.

On the ball they remind me of Sheff United in their first season under Chris Wilder. Same formation, same overlapping wing play, same overperforming xG, same set piece prowess, same position in the league at the moment.

They don't strike me as a team who are here to stay in the long term (unless they evolve) and where losing one player could very easily be like pulling a linchpin.

After today obviously- I wish them all the luck in the world and them (alongside Brighton)  I hope they upset the norm and keep doing well but I agree, I don’t think they’re here to stay either.

That was never a penalty either for me (my apologies for being hours late but this is my first viewing so this is like the match thread for me)

Edited by Gawalls

What a fucking massive, monumentally important result that was. 

I’m sure it’s been said numerous times on here. But a proper Jekyll and Hyde performance. Went from our worst half of football all season. To being comfortable and controlling the game. Could and should have bagged 4 in the second half. 

Pope MOTM, for me. Even when he made mistakes, he was positive and aggressive and set the tone.

I never want to see Joelinton on the left again. I thought he went from being totally ineffective and one of our worst performers. To our best outfield player by a mile, once switched to CM. 

Isak and Wilson were on a different wavelength at times. But some classy link up and potential on show, as well. 

The future’s bright.