Brentford 1-2 Newcastle United (08/04/2023)

Mike

Possibly the biggest win of the season in terms of impact. The old cliche of good teams win when they're having a bad day certainly applied today, especially first half.

Fantastic in game management by Howe basically won us that game, fantastic stuff from him today. 

4 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Fair points, but let’s not be pretending we’re at the stage of throwing £40m+ on a ‘squad player’. 

We're chasing a champions league spot, if we happen to get one, it's exactly what we'll need to do. 

As things stand, we're not as far off that stage as you're making out. 

Just now, Nobody said:

Possibly the biggest win of the season in terms of impact. The old cliche of good teams win when they're having a bad day certainly applied today, especially first half.

Fantastic in game management by Howe basically won us that game, fantastic stuff from him today. 

Can’t overstate how good the reaction was. Unbelievable against such awkward opponents. Just tired a bit towards the end or we would have put another couple in. 

Another Howe masterclass won us the game after what seemed like us trying to lose in the first half.

Villa will be tough next week. Emery have done an amazing job, 6th place. If they keep this up they'll be a problem next season.

Yeah that period after half time where Bruno and Joelinton took control of midfield was really impressive. 

Really don't think Wilson's goal should have been ruled out. If it isn't I could have seen another 1:5 result. But we had to hang on and survive all their long balls after that.

Was surprised actually, didn't realise they were so reliant on long throws etc. We looked far superior once we got going.

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

Fair points, but let’s not be pretending we’re at the stage of throwing £40m+ on a ‘squad player’. 

Exactly. Our other 40m players have been clear upgrades for the first team. I’m all for spending big on future potential, but I just don’t see it with Gordon I’m afraid. I’ve been completely wrong before though, most notably with Joelinton, so here’s hoping the lad proves to be another astute signing and shows how little I know about football. Knowing this club’s recent track record in the transfer market I’m fully prepared to be eating humble pie sooner rather than later.

All that said, some of you need to stop being so precious. This thing started with me saying I wasn’t overly impressed so far. Can’t imagine many have been, so some people imo are being overly defensive at the moment. We are doing extremely well. Doesn’t mean we can’t say Burn looks tired, Trippier’s set pieces haven’t been all that lately and Gordon is yet to deserve a starting berth in Howe’s first team even when ASM and Almiron are out injured.

Get in was great to beat those cheating wankers and the shocking ref and VAR.

Looking forward to the scruffy hairdresser crying in his interview and hope the lass commentator on my stream doesn’t let Brentford losing ruin her night. 

Bruno again stepping up big style and dominating the game in the second half with Big Joe doing the destroyer role to allow him to do it.

Regardless of the ref and Brentford’s dirty play we were poor in the first half and the change in formation really helped as Wilson’s physical approach put more pressure on their centre backs and allowed Isak to drop deeper and cause chaos. Great goal as well.

defensively we were very suspect in the first half, their first penalty was a comedy of errors and it took us till the second half to deal with their physical approach.

Great changes from Eddie at half time and a great win

5 wins a row and a battle of the form teams next Saturday with a full week to work . 

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Exactly. Our other 40m players have been clear upgrades for the first team. I’m all for spending big on future potential, but I just don’t see it with Gordon I’m afraid. I’ve been completely wrong before though, most notably with Joelinton, so here’s hoping the lad proves to be another astute signing and shows how little I know about football. Knowing this club’s recent track record in the transfer market I’m fully prepared to be eating humble pie sooner rather than later.

All that said, some of you need to stop being so precious. This thing started with me saying I wasn’t overly impressed so far. Can’t imagine many have been, so some people imo are being overly defensive at the moment. We are doing extremely well. Doesn’t mean we can’t say Burn looks tired, Trippier’s set pieces haven’t been all that lately and Gordon is yet to deserve a starting berth in Howe’s first team even when ASM and Almiron are out injured.

No one's being precious or overly defensive. Just think the points you made were awful, so we commented in response.

Just now, KaKa said:

No one's being precious or overly defensive. Just think the points you made were awful, so we commented in response.

Which point? That I haven’t been impressed? Firstly, that point is entirely subjective, and secondly: have you? Has anybody?

Dodgy first half, better second half, cracking result.

Brentford no soft touch at home, so very pleased with this one.

Great to finally see Isak and Wilson get some decent minutes together (even if it was by necessity rather than design), and Gordon get pretty much a full half for us too.

At least we have a week of rest now, ahead of the next away match.

Onwards we go.

Edited by TK-421

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I didn't watch today's game so can't comment on his performance, but every game he's played recently he's impacted really well whenever he has came on, and probably deserved  a starting berth if not for Murphy's great form, as he's pressed really well from the front, had several goal involvements, and done well in attacking situations, is he the end product, probably not, but can you see the potential in him, especially in an Eddie Howe team, absolutely.

It does feel that some people have prejudged Gordon from his time at Everton, and as such every time he does something that isn't great, or doesn't have a particularly good performance, they're going to jump on him.

Can’t overestimate how big a win this is. Brentford are a quality side and only Arsenal have beaten them at home this season. They have smashed Man Utd, Brighton and Liverpool there,  also beat city and drew away to arsenal. Considering the circumstances I think it’s our biggest win this season.

Also second time in 3 away games we have come from behind, shows massive character.