Leeds United 2-2 Newcastle United (13/05/2023)

Disco

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Trippier is dodgy defensively man. I'm not just saying it for the fun of it.

I'm not sure how you're not seeing it when watching all these games this season.

Almiron and Longstaff have often made his life a lot easier down that right hand side. 

Longstaff being out recently has really exposed the issue more of late.

Defending one on ones has never has been his forte because of pace and the fact he has licence to attack, but he has played in teams that are very well drilled in Atletico and Newcastle (his role was more defensive in Spain). The issue we'll have is replacing him in 12 months or so because of age and the same goes for Schar and Wilson and Murphy and Almiron will start to lose pace in a couple years (and they both heavily rely on pace). I think that's why we overpaid for Gordon and are targeting youth.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Nah, that was shite today.  It’s not drawing the game that is the issue, that was a performance which would have been equally criticised pre-2021

There's a stark difference between being critical of the performance and labelling the group of players "pathetic" and "bottlers", or individual players who've carried us to this position (ie. Trippier) as being "fucking dogshit".

You can be constructive without throwing your toys out of the pram. 

1 minute ago, prefabtoon said:

The melt down on here is incredible. It was always going to be difficult game against Leeds.

We have two home games coming up to do the business.

HWTL.:indi:

I was anticipating a difficult game.  The thing is, it wasn’t.  Leeds were turgid

8 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

I do love it when people judge players on a snap shot of the last game or two, ignoring the rest of the season. Trippier being a case in point.

Trippier mostly offers us stuff going forward in general play, IMO.

His set pieces have been very hit and miss of late, but even that is not necessarily the biggest deal.

Defensively though, always worried about him if he gets isolated against someone running at him, or if the ball is delivered from the opposite side and he has to pick up an attacker at the back post.

Longstaff and Almiron help him out a lot when we are defending, and Longstaff being out of late makes us look very shaky down that side.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Trippier is dodgy defensively man. I'm not just saying it for the fun of it.

I'm not sure how you're not seeing it when watching all these games this season.

Almiron and Longstaff have often made his life a lot easier down that right hand side. 

Longstaff being out recently has really exposed the issue more of late.

He can be dodgy sometimes, sure.

The positives far, far outweigh the negatives with him though. He has been the most effective build up player in the league behind KdB this season. Take that out of the team for a better defender (Dumfries is not a better defender at all) and you lose so much more than you gain.

There is a clear hole in the system when Longstaff isn’t playing as you’ve said. The midfield basically didn’t exist in defensive transitions today and it was the same against both Villa and Arsenal.

5 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

I'm going to have to stop reading fan reactions in the next few years as every defeat, or every draw to a side outside the top 3, is apocalyptic and a disgrace.

I’m usually exactly the same and still hold a similar opinion but I can understand it a lot more at the minute. We’re on the cusp of something massive, it’s in our hands and people can feel it slipping away. We’ve just been dull as fuck against a shite Leeds side. 

Perspective is important but can get why people are annoyed in the immediate aftermath. 

1 minute ago, wiseman said:

Lack of options in the middle, no Bruno and no Longstaff leaves us with little other options there

If only we bought one in January instead of Gordon for 40 odd million ey?

7 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

I'm going to have to stop reading fan reactions in the next few years as every defeat, or every draw to a side outside the top 3, is apocalyptic and a disgrace.

Amen. :lol:

Just now, Andy said:

There's a stark difference between being critical of the performance and labelling the group of players "pathetic" and "bottlers", or individual players who've carried us to this position (ie. Trippier) as being "fucking dogshit".

You can be constructive without throwing your toys out of the pram. 

I never said that about them.  I don’t think anyone has bottled anything.  They were desperately poor today from front to back.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I was anticipating a difficult game.  The thing is, it wasn’t.  Leeds were turgid

Think that's an incredible view, like. What Leeds lacked in quality they easily made up for in fight and gamesmanship; not to mention the impact of the crowd. 

Any stats on where we've conceded from?

It definitely feels like we've conceded more down the right side.

Trippier is class for us going forward but has definitely got a bit of the unfortunate about him (like Clark did).

I never said that about them.  I don’t think anyone has bottled anything.  They were desperately poor today from front to back.

Desperately poor would have lost.

Just now, Yorkie said:

Think that's an incredible view, like. What Leeds lacked in quality they easily made up for in fight and gamesmanship; not to mention the impact of the crowd. 

I thought they were poor, and didn’t play with any greater intensity than any other side I’ve seen of late - other than Spurs. 

Yeah and the post of mine that you quoted wasn't in response to you, it was in response to other posts in this thread, so I'm not really sure what your point is :dontknow:

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I mean they gave away 2 penalties, should have been 3, had a player sent off, should have been way earlier. They weren’t good at all. A decent performance absolutely puts them to bed. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I thought they were poor, and didn’t play with any greater intensity than any other side I’ve seen of late - other than Spurs. 

Intensity = fouls for some people. I agree, they barely pressed us really 

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Yeah and the post of mine that you quoted wasn't in response to you, it was in response to other posts in this thread, so I'm not really sure what your point is :dontknow:

I responded directly to the point in your post - your post looked like it implied that I’d written that they were bottlers. 

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ve seen so many talk about Bruno being the best midfielder since Rob Lee - which he might be - but at the moment he’s also sharing Lee’s trait of tailing off in the second half of the season.

He's got an ankle injury I think.

I responded directly to the point in your post - your post looked like it implied that I’d written that they were bottlers. 

Only if you hadn't read the context of the previous posts you were replying to.