Newcastle United 4-1 Brighton & Hove Albion (18/05/2023)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

That defending for their goal was horrific :lol:

Yep, the only negative for me.  Our defence is now making the switch-offs a clockwork occurrence in our matches.  We’ve kept one clean sheet in nearly half a season’s worth of games - and I think if we watch the games back, the vast majority are conceded very softly.  The lack of pace at the back leaves us very, very vulnerable to simple passes through or over the back line.  Burn isn’t tucking in like he was earlier in the season - he’s bombing forward and the centre halves are stretched.  If we play like that we need a no 5 with a bit of pace - Botman isn’t going to get any quicker. 

What a night that was. had me absolutely through the wringers. We should have won 4-1 based on the first half alone, but at least we got there in the end.

56 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Sky Sports so devastated they don't even want to put the highlights up on Youtube.

USA broadcast praising Newcastle, and rightly so.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, the only negative for me.  Our defence is now making the switch-offs a clockwork occurrence in our matches.  We’ve kept one clean sheet in nearly half a season’s worth of games - and I think if we watch the games back, the vast majority are conceded very softly.  The lack of pace at the back leaves us very, very vulnerable to simple passes through or over the back line.  Burn isn’t tucking in like he was earlier in the season - he’s bombing forward and the centre halves are stretched.  If we play like that we need a no 5 with a bit of pace - Botman isn’t going to get any quicker. 

You can't really have it all though unfortunately, at least not with the players we have at our disposal. 

We'd started to look predictable with our lopsided approach of having Burn stay back so that our right side could attack, so we had to adapt, hence Burn making more forward runs in the second half of the season. 

Naturally it's higher risk and we'll conceded more as a result, but hopefully, 1 win permitting, the reward has outweighed the risk. 

Just now, Lenny said:

You can't really have it all though unfortunately, at least not with the players we have at our disposal. 

We'd started to look predictable with our lopsided approach of having Burn stay back so that our right side could attack, so we had to adapt, hence Burn making more forward runs in the second half of the season. 

Naturally it's higher risk and we'll conceded more as a result, but hopefully, 1 win permitting, the reward has outweighed the risk. 

Aye, absolutely true - and I realise it is a bit of a whinge after a 4-1 win against an excellent Brighton team :)

I agree that the goals started coming again after the switch - and I prefer the gung-ho style of play.  But for me it is clear how we could tighten up next season with a couple of signings - while keeping our balls-to-the-wall attacking and pressing game

8 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

It was Schar who got isolated wasn't it? He looked like he was playing with a busted nose from the first half tbf, I was glad we dropped back after that and protected the defence a bit.

23 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Do think Schar had no option but to try and block the shot due to being on a yellow card.

Think he would have went for the tackle otherwise 

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

35 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

What were we all worrying about? :lol: 1 win away from the Champions League, man. 1 fucking win.

Aye, a win for Aston Villa.  Their tails should be up after we opened the door for them.

16 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Do think Schar had no option but to try and block the shot due to being on a yellow card.

Think he would have went for the tackle otherwise 

Had visions of Ciaran Clark's stupid red card against Norwich. Luckily Schar is smarter and was right to let him through to take the shot. Thought Pope should have saved it though. Feel harsh saying that.