Newcastle United 4-1 Brighton & Hove Albion (18/05/2023)

Yorkie

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

:lol: He was absolutely shitting himself when big Joe went for him after he tried to do him. I was even scared for the lad. 

52 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I mentioned this yesterday to Kid Icarus. It's baffling. The game played out exactly how I thought it would.

They did the exact same with us and constantly lost the ball yet continued to play that way. We just couldn't punish them. We would be home and hosed if we had Callum Wilson. 

I'm all for teams having a clear identity/philosophy in terms of how they play, but it's arrogant/naive as fuck from De Zerbi. It's always going to be high risk, but when you literally can't get out of your half (like in the first 45 last night) you need to revert to plan B. 

30 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

We wanted Hecke to have the ball, I think.  Knew we could get them on his errors.  Like, we would leave him free to recieve passes and trigger our press straight after.

I read some of the Brighton forum and this is exactly what they said. Further than that we made sure to cut Lewis Dunk off to make it even harder for him.

Eddie is some boy. 

Sticking Caicedo at RB was a crazy decision - especially since Gross has played there recently.

But of a baffling team selection entirely, in fact. Reeked of a manager trying to be too clever.

Ah man, what a game, what a night. Had a great time at my first live match in years. Got a sore head and a sore throat this morning!! :clap2:

We started well first half, but I did worry once they pulled one back, with 3 fresh players on too, but credit to us for pushing on, and beating them convinicingly, and realistically, it could have been 5, 6 or 7 with some of the missed chances/saves in the second half.

Gutted for little joe, as that looks like a hamstring that'll probably keep him out of the last 2 games (at least).

But, onwards we go. One more win will do it, unless Villa do us a favour tomorrow, then we might have top 4 secured before Monday night.

Edited by TK-421

1 minute ago, toon25 said:

Sticking Caicedo at RB was a crazy decision - especially since Gross has played there recently.

But of a baffling team selection entirely, in fact. Reeked of a manager trying to be too clever.

Or fuck LiVARpool off! [emoji38]

3 hours ago, Emotic said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/may/18/almiron-enciso-paraguay-newcastle-brighton

Some context in here. Almiron has made Newcastle massive in their neck of the woods. Enciso idolised him so much he was afraid to ask for his shirt after a national game lol.

I love that, love the idea of loads of people in Paraguay watching Newcastle-Brighton. Shame he didn't bury that chance.

RAWK is delicious reading, their entitlement is off the scale.

Common consensus is that this season has been a wasted season.  Brighton and Villa are more than happy to take their Europa League place if they are "too good" for it.

3 minutes ago, Sima said:

RAWK is delicious reading, their entitlement is off the scale.

Common consensus is that this season has been a wasted season.  Brighton and Villa are more than happy to take their Europa League place if they are "too good" for it.

The bitterness they have for us on their is next level.

I despise that football club because of the self righteousness of most of their fanbase. Tends to be the non-Scouse element of their support that are mainly like that in fairness too.

The marking for Burns goal was shocking.  They started with one man half his height and behind him.  Then he decided to mark Botman(I think) leaving no one even on Burn for a free header.

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

Im still pissed about the ref not giving a pen to Wilson for that tackle, and the only angle they showed you don’t see that Wilson plays the ball a bit ahead then he gets clipped on the ankle, same with the outrageous shirt pull on Dan Burn, his kit was a fucking flag. And the yellow on Bruno was the softest shit I’ve seen. :lol: . So FUCKING happy today as well, what a game, what a win. 

23 minutes ago, toon25 said:

He played Caicedo RB against Arsenal or Man U i'm sure.

Unless injured - it's the decision to bench Colwil that didn't make sense. The young lad isn't good enough on the ball for that game plan.

2 minutes ago, worthy said:

Im still pissed about the ref not giving a pen to Wilson for that tackle, and the only angle they showed you don’t see that Wilson plays the ball a bit ahead then he gets clipped on the ankle, same with the outrageous shirt pull on Dan Burn, his kit was a fucking flag. And the yellow on Bruno was the softest shit I’ve seen. :lol: . So FUCKING happy today as well, what a game, what a win. 

The contact on Wilson was due to Wilson leaving his foot out to force it. Don't think it was a pen, sadly.

1 minute ago, Lenny said:

The contact on Wilson was due to Wilson leaving his foot out to force it. Don't think it was a pen, sadly.

Yeah, you are probably right. For me it looked like he clipped the ankle. Didn’t help that the commentators talked about Nunez getting a pen for the similar shit as well :lol:

1 minute ago, worthy said:

Yeah, you are probably right. For me it looked like he clipped the ankle. Didn’t help that the commentators talked about Nunez getting a pen for the similar shit as well :lol:

Well yes, consistency of officiating is a totally different subject :lol:

My boss is a Brighton fan and was at the match in the away section last night. Says their fans didn't take well to Burn celebrating the way he did after his goal. 

Oh, shame. ;D

Edited by TK-421