Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

Fwiw, I'm pleased with the draw. Joking apart, I'm ok with Man City in the cup. 

Regardless of how many players we have that have played and performed at the top level we, as a club, haven't. 

Not consistently, not for years

I didn't expect to beat Man U in the cup final. Said at the time, while we were celebrating getting there, they weren't. I think, wanker that he is, Ten Hag said "you don't get anything for winning semi-finals" 

All these "elite" teams have that little bit extra. Talent, determination, focus etc etc. 

That's why City came back from 3-1 to snatch a draw. It's why we, seemingly, can't beat Liverpool. 

We will tho and these 6 games added to our growing experiences going forward will help mold NUFC upto those levels. 

The more we play them the better we'll get at it. 

It's only the group of death for Dortmund and PSG, because they have to play us and Milan instead of Copenhagen and Antwerp.  I don't think there's anything to be scared of - PSG are going through a big transition stage, Dortmund just replaced Bellingham with Sabitzer, and Milan's best player is a Geordie.

32 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Regardless of how many players we have that have played and performed at the top level we, as a club, haven't. 

I didn't expect to beat Man U in the cup final. Said at the time, while we were celebrating getting there, they weren't. I think, wanker that he is, Ten Hag said "you don't get anything for winning semi-finals" 

All these "elite" teams have that little bit extra. Talent, determination, focus etc etc. 

That's why City came back from 3-1 to snatch a draw. It's why we, seemingly, can't beat Liverpool. 

We will tho and these 6 games added to our growing experiences going forward will help mold NUFC upto those levels. 

Agree with this, and for this season I don't think there is any real difference to finishing second or third in the group.

Finish second and get to experience at least 2 knockout games

Finish third get a chance to go deeper into a tough European tournament.

all good for getting some real top leave experience in the lads legs and Howe's psyche

47 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Great post and totally correct. We've been dossing around with the small time teams for far too long and have grown used to losing. We, as fans, don't have the mental strength you need to be a true winner yet. But it will come! We've all got to learn and grow as a club! 

Rome wasn't built in a day! 

49 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

? that could get ugly

Hopefully some of the raft of youngsters that we’ve signed will improve us. Most them are still are still on the (really) young side though, so could take a season or two.

Be fascinated to see how all 3 deal with our press and how much pressure we apply, especially Psg. Definitely think we'll catch them on the hop, they're used to playing teams that drop and give them space and possession in league games but how many times do they have to deal with the press we have. No reason why we can't get 7 points from the 3 home games and best at least one of them away too. Nothing to be scared about and can't wait for the first game now, it'll be electric

4 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Agree with this, and for this season I don't think there is any real difference to finishing second or third in the group.

Finish second and get to experience at least 2 knockout games

Finish third get a chance to go deeper into a tough European tournament.

all good for getting some real top leave experience in the lads legs and Howe's psyche

i thought if we finish second and we get another 6 games in the second group stage.

Edited by huss9