Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

12 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

And you can't go all the way if you draw big teams aye? Or you avoid them all together if you draw minnows? Can't get my head around that want either, too.

I just want us to win and progress. Having a harder group makes that more difficult. Minnows all the to the final (as unlikely as it is) gives us a better shot at doing that.

8 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

None of them are THAT good though. We can beat all 3 at home and get a result away to secure qualification. There’s no whipping boy aye but there’s no Real Madrid.  

It’s the hardest group though, man :lol:. I want the best possible chance of progression; those teams are beatable in theory but less so than other teams we could have been drawn with.

No one’s giving us a chance of winning the entire thing. So if we lose in the groups, that’s okay. We’ll focus on the league. But if we get out of this group by beating last year’s semi finalist and PSG, we’ll have the belief that we can beat anyone. 

My take, I wanted group E because it provided the safest path to the knockout stage. Why is this important? It means a hellluva lot more money to keep the team moving forward. 

In addition, it increases the UEFA coeffcient. Very important going forward. That said, group F is pretty amazing for the reasons others here have articulated. Great games ahead.

7 hours ago, TheHoob said:

Paris is a brilliant city and I'd be buzzing to go to Madrid but I'm probably in a relative minority in that I'd spend a decent amount of time sight-seeing rather than just going to get tanked up with the lads [emoji38]

Tell the jarmins, we’re cultured, innit. 

5 hours ago, McCormick said:

It’s the hardest group though, man :lol:. I want the best possible chance of progression; those teams are beatable in theory but less so than other teams we could have been drawn with.

That’s true I’m just trying to see the positives. It’s Milan that’s the kicker. The other 2, there were harder teams that we Didn’t get. 

We can worry about progression in future years as far as I’m concerned.  For now, just the excitement of meeting Europe’s elite clubs again is enough.

And for those disappointed by the ‘tough’ group - trust me, those of us who went to all our games in the previous seasons we qualified for the CL, the games against the real heavyweights (Barca, Inter, Juve) really were absolute dream games to attend.  It makes years of suffering turgid shite worthwhile.  While all European games are exciting, you wouldn’t want a European Cup group that could easily feel like a UEFA Cup group

Tell me ma me ma,

I won’t be home for tea,

We’re going to beat PSG

Tell me ma me ma,

I won’t be home for tea,

We’re going to beat AC

Tell me ma me ma,

I won’t be home for tea,

We’re going to win in Germany

Honestly happy with that, some class games and a proper champions league experience. its already looking like this will be such a tough season but it will be a fantastic benchmark to where we are compared to the biggest teams in the world and might give the owners a good indication about what we need to do if we are to get to the top.

27 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Tell me ma me ma,

I won’t be home for tea,

We’re going to beat PSG

Tell me ma me ma,

I won’t be home for tea,

We’re going to beat AC

Tell me ma me ma,

I won’t be home for tea,

We’re going to win in Germany

*We’re going to beat BVB 

Saturday can't come soon enough.

All this talk about PSG, Dortmund and Milan would be so much more fun had we beaten Liverpool. We're going to be stretched beyond belief by the time the UCL games comes around.

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

All this talk about PSG, Dortmund and Milan would be so much more fun had we beaten Liverpool. We're going to be stretched beyond belief by the time the UCL games comes around.

I know what you mean, but I’m like a kid at Xmas with this stuff.  I bastard love European nights.  It’s been far too long. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I know what you mean, but I’m like a kid at Xmas with this stuff.  I bastard love European nights.  It’s been far too long. 

I'm excited, don't get me wrong. Just want the Brighton game to wash away those memories of last weekend. Champions League this season is going to be incredible regardless of how we are doing in the league anyway.

We didn't strive to get into the champions league just to be fodder.

A lot of players in our squad are top quality and have played at a high level for their clubs and countries.

I'd rather have this group than a so called minnow group. Imagine going out to unfancied teams in a group.

I get the old " if we get 3rd we can play in Europa." Fine but do you think Eddie and the players are thinking on those lines or rubbing their hands at pitting themselves against these teams?

This is exciting and it gives us 6 solid games for starters and who knows what will happen. On paper we will be fodder for a lot of people but football isn't played on paper and games are not set in stone at any time, unless you have corrupt officials.

This gives us a chance to up our game and also gives us fans a chance to get all excited.

There's always hope and it's not always about the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog.

Let's enjoy and see where it takes us.

27 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Better to be stretched over never feeling stretched again.