Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Apparently not. That just gets chucked out the window to accommodate Inter going into Pot 1 and Feyenoord go wherever their coefficient places them, which would be Pot 3.

Having said that, it would take a fairly terrible choke for Man City to balls the final up again against this Inter team.

If you look at it that pot 1 is the 6 top champions + Europa and CL winners then it seems less unfair. IE that the 7th best league only gets a place in pot 1 through clearing (a bit like 7th getting a European place in England once the cups have been won by top 6 clubs). But in reality it is nearly always going to be the case that the CL winners have enough coefficient to be in pot 1 anyway.

I just saw a clip of RC Lens doing some proper CL Qualification party, with the anthem and all..just like us, 1st time back in the CL in 20 years. Our fucking DJ/stadium announcer/microphone nonce, whatever you want to call him..no fucking clue what to do.

2 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

I just saw a clip of RC Lens doing some proper CL Qualification party, with the anthem and all..just like us, 1st time back in the CL in 20 years. Our fucking DJ/stadium announcer/microphone nonce, whatever you want to call him..no fucking clue what to do.

In fairness I think there were people on here saying they really hoped they wouldn't play the anthem after we qualified. 

4 hours ago, nufcjb said:

It looked more like a boy band concert than a football match, with all the phones and lighters in the air - glad it didn’t happen at SJP, embarrassing!

Real Madrid with a German and a Portuguese team would be class.

Still of the opinion that dropping into the EL is the best option for away trips/chance of latter stages although obviously CL knockouts would be an incredible spectacle.

The way the rankings have worked there should be at least 3-4 decent groups too. Can’t wait. Gonna be following the prelims like an absolute fiend.

23 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Think I want:

Sevilla

Borussia Dortmund

Lazio

The right balance between playing some big clubs while being favourites to finish top 2. 

Looks like a group where you could quite easily finish anywhere from 1st to last. I'd far rather have a lesser third tier side like a Belgrade or Zagreb, possibly Salzburg to make it as straightforward as possible to make sure our long awaited European adventure extends beyond the CL group stages.

18 minutes ago, Disco said:

Still of the opinion that dropping into the EL is the best option for away trips/chance of latter stages although obviously CL knockouts would be an incredible spectacle.

The way the rankings have worked there should be at least 3-4 decent groups too. Can’t wait. Gonna be following the prelims like an absolute fiend.

:lol:

Me too. I'll even be gripped by an S4C showing of TNS vs whoever in the earliest stage.

Looking at some coefficient stuff it will most likely take 1.5-2 seasons in Europe just to get our club coefficient to the country coefficient number we’re using now. We should get cozy in pot 4 for awhile if we make the CL again. Although competitively it doesn’t seem like Pot 4 is that big of a deal in the new format. 

Also, I missed the fact that the new format does away with dropping into the Europa League from the CL, so this is the last season of that.

6 hours ago, Disco said:

Draw for the Preliminary round a week on Tuesday.

Who will Buducnost Podgorica get??

On 01/06/2023 at 08:20, Optimistic Nut said:

Think I want:

Sevilla

Borussia Dortmund

Lazio

The right balance between playing some big clubs while being favourites to finish top 2. 

It would be depressing to finish bottom of that group.  I want genuine giants personally. 

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We'd finish 2nd at least. 

Perhaps - but that group looks very ‘Europa League’ to me :) 

All personal preference of course - but I’d want as many real heavyweights as possible; it increases the risk of finishing bottom, but any and every win would feel historic.  All European nights really are something special, so it will always be great - but beating Barcelona and Juventus at SJP in the CL has the edge over the other European nights for me 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

All personal preference of course - but I’d want as many real heavyweights as possible; it increases the risk of finishing bottom, but any and every win would feel historic.  All European nights really are something special, so it will always be great - but beating Barcelona and Juventus at SJP in the CL has the edge over the other European nights for me 

Sevilla, Dortmund and Lazio would be a great group. 

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We could go far in this man. :)

The Milans aren't that great and they got to the Semis. Outside of PSG, Bayern, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Man City there's nothing to be scared of. We'd give everyone else a scare.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We could go far in this man. :)

The Milans aren't that great and they got to the Semis. Outside of PSG, Bayern, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Man City there's nothing to be scared of. We'd give everyone else a scare.

Mbappe aside (alright, that’s quite a significant aside…) are PSG something to be scared of? 

Suppose we’ll see how they shape up next season with Messi’s wages cleared off the books.

27 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m not saying it wouldn’t - but I’d like at least one bone fide giant in there.  I’m not thinking in terms of getting out of the group. 

Why?