Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

33 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Even Leicester got out of their group. If the group is not way too tough we have a good chance.

Leicester were seeded/Pot 1, so got a relatively easy group.

Agree though, we should hopefully have a pretty decent chance of going through unless we’re really unlucky (in terms of difficulty) with the draw.

I love managing in really small leagues on FM, much prefer that than any of the big 5 Euro leagues, although unfortunately, bar the likes of Ireland, N Ireland and Wales, Iceland too I guess, you can't manage in the proper minnow leagues.

It's also great having more reason to actually follow what's going on in these lesser leagues. I was aware of the CSKA Sofia and Steaua Bucharest situations and new clubs now kicking about, but it's mad looking at the Bulgarian table and seeing who is 2nd and 3rd in the league:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_First_Professional_Football_League_(Bulgaria)#League_table

Incidentally it's CSKA Sofia vs, er CSKA Sofia tomorrow :lol:

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We could go far in this man. :)

The Milans aren't that great and they got to the Semis. Outside of PSG, Bayern, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Man City there's nothing to be scared of. We'd give everyone else a scare.

Then bring them all on :) 

2 hours ago, KDT said:

Why?

It’s not that I don’t think we can / will get out of it.  It’s a sort of security policy.  It could be a couple of years before we get back in it too - I really would like at least on supergiant in there.  

7 hours ago, SteV said:

Near title decider in Armenia tonight. Pyunik Yerevan (2nd) v Urartu (1st). Title winners go into CL 1st round qualifying.

FC Urartu win 1-0 with a goal in the 93rd minute to take the title and avoid final day drama, and secure their place in the CL early rounds.

8 yellow cards in the second half, most of them late on [emoji38]

43 minutes ago, Paullow said:

FC Urartu win 1-0 with a goal in the 93rd minute to take the title and avoid final day drama, and secure their place in the CL early rounds.

8 yellow cards in the second half, most of them late on [emoji38]

Yerevan here we come….

Ha, I'm enjoying following these leagues, and will very much be all over the qualifiers next month, but with us being in pot 4, there's pretty much no chance we play any of the real minnows, unless we both somehow end up 3rd in our respective groups and met in the Europa L32 / L16.

There doesn't seem too much more to be decided now.

Bulgarian title to be decided - Ludogorets have won 11 titles in a row, but that run might come to an end this season. They are 1 point behind the fairly newly formed / named 'CSKA Sofia' with 2 games to go. They don't play each other, but Sofia play the also newly formed CSKA (Sofia) 1948 today at 4pm, and then old traditional rivals Levski Sofia away on Wednesday.

Belgian Pro League also not concluded yet and a 3 way title to be decided tomorrow. Antwerp on 46 points, Union SG also on 46 (they need to better Antwerp's points tally), and Genk on 45 - final day fixtures - Union SG vs 4th place Club Brugge (who are well out of contention on 33 points), and Genk vs Antwerp. Antwerp have it in their hands, but could quite easily finish 3rd and miss out altogether on CL - the league gets 2 CL qual spots, one in the 'Champions Route' and one in the 'League Route'.

Shakhtar won yet another Ukrainian title and will be in the CL group stages, but there's still the 2nd place 'League Route' qual spot to be determined on the final day. Dynamo Kyiv are not in contention, so we definitely won't be playing them for a 5th time in the CL group stages, and it's down to either Dnipro-1, a reincarnation of the old FC Dnipro side who used to often be in Europe back in the day, or Zorya Luhansk. They are level on points but Dnipro have the better H2H, so Zorya will have to better their result tomorrow.

I think they are the only things that need to be decided - one Bulgarian champion who will go into the first qual round, the Belgium champs who will go into the final play off round, the Belgium runners up who will enter the 2nd qual round, and the Ukrainian runners up who will also enter the 2nd qual round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_UEFA_Champions_League

Edited by Paullow

Yeah, would need all six teams making it from the qualifiers to have a lower coefficient than us for us to get bumped to Pot 3, which obviously isn’t going to happen.

I’m thinking I’d quite like a trip to Belgrade so hoping for Red Star from Pot 3. Did anyone on here go over there the last time we played there? Wondering how eastern bloc it is? Long time ago like, so probably changed quite a bit since then anyway.

CSKA Sofia have a 100th minute pen awarded by VAR in their match against CSKA 1948. Currently 1-1. It will keep the title race in their hands if they score it.

It was the last kick of the game but they put it wide, wow. Looking like a 12th title in a row for Ludogorets. Back in their hands.

Edited by Paullow

I'm fascinated by this stuff. I've always loved managing random Romanian / Polish / Bulgarian etc. teams who have just come into the game after the first season and getting them up the leagues, so it's actually really interesting following these leagues, but I do apologise if people are coming into this thread, seeing a bump, expecting a Newcastle CL update, and thinking WTF is this random shite :lol:

One of most crazy ends to a season I have ever seen in Belgium. The League switched from Union SG after 89 mins to Genk, who were winning the title for 5 mins, and then Antwerp score in the 95th minute to equaliser and take the title themselves. First title since 1957.

Antwerp and Genk take the two CL spots in Belgium, both have to go through quals, Antwerp the Champions route, Genk the League route. Madness.

4 minutes ago, Paullow said:

One of most crazy ends to a season I have ever seen in Belgium. The League switched from Union SG after 89 mins to Genk, who were winning the title for 5 mins, and then Antwerp score in the 95th minute to equaliser and take the title themselves. First title since 1957.

Antwerp and Genk take the two CL spots in Belgium, both have to go through quals, Antwerp the Champions route, Genk the League route. Madness.

Quite pleased. Have a little liking for Antwerp after our re-entry into Europe under Keegan and their fans were canny in the bars considering they were 5-0 down fr9m their home leg. I know folk that went to the game over there and we seem to have been well received.