Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

1 hour ago, SEMTEX said:

Has the topic of homegrown players been discussed yet? 

We need 4 club trained youth products, and from what I can tell we have… Longstaff, Anderson… ?? We can extend Dummetts contract I guess, or just include a bunch of children, but that doesn’t really seem the most ideal route to smashing Real Madrid in the Bernabeu. Am I missing someone?

Might be time to spend big $$$ on bringing back… Krul? Forster? There don’t appear to be any outfield players worth retrieving. 

I assume Miley will be in there.

Been told this loads since we made it, "you'll get a tough group knocked out at the first stage" , Yet I always reply I wouldn't give a shit if it helps us get back into straight away its a learning curve.sure man city dropped out first time

1 minute ago, astraguy said:

Been told this loads since we made it, "you'll get a tough group knocked out at the first stage" , Yet I always reply I wouldn't give a shit if it helps us get back into straight away its a learning curve.sure man city dropped out first time

Yep, they were in it for 4 years before they got past the last 16. 

1 hour ago, SEMTEX said:

Has the topic of homegrown players been discussed yet? 

We need 4 club trained youth products, and from what I can tell we have… Longstaff, Anderson… ?? We can extend Dummetts contract I guess, or just include a bunch of children, but that doesn’t really seem the most ideal route to smashing Real Madrid in the Bernabeu. Am I missing someone?

Might be time to spend big $$$ on bringing back… Krul? Forster? There don’t appear to be any outfield players worth retrieving. 

image.png.59f00ca59d4393f557648e3c54e70e5a.png

23 minutes ago, Troll said:

I assume Miley will be in there.

Doesn’t seem the best route to winning the quadruple, nor for his career progression… I would imagine he’d be better off getting regular football like Garang. But I guess the alternative right now seems to be leave an empty gap or sign Kazenga LuaLua. :undecided: 

Draws can open up like we saw with Inter this year with pretty much all the main contenders in one half and the rest in the other, so if we got through the group, who knows, but is there much difference financially getting through your group and losing in the L16 than finishing third and getting to say the SF of the Europa League?

I think I'd rather have a group of PSG, Real Madrid and Red Star Belgrade, 3 capital city sides that we have never played before, be expected to finish 3rd by getting 4-6 points off Belgrade, and then a chance to test yourself against some of the best sides in the world, potentially create amazing memories like Tino's hattrick or Griffin's winner vs Juventus, and if you do fall short then your European adventure will likely continue, and you'd instantly become one of main faves to win a major trophy, and another potential route back into the CL. I'd rather have that than a group of Feyenoord, Leipzig, Zagreb and be expected to either come 1st or 2nd, but not really a glamorous tie of note. If you got MUCH for money for advancing, even if you lost in the L16 than a deep run in the Europa, then aye, I'd rather that, but there is something very appealing at this stage of our development, and baring in mind we have not played Europe for 11 years, to get the best of both worlds and have as many European matches as possible.

I guess the best option would possibly be to get Feyenoord and Real, one giant but a great chance of going through, but I'm still kind of more leaning to hoping we get two powerhouses and seeing what happens. I defo wouldn't want Milan in Pot 3.

Edited by Paullow

6 hours ago, Stifler said:

So we need 6 teams ranked lower than us to have upsets in the qualification round in order to make it into pot 3?

There are already 7 confirmed pot 3/4 clubs with a higher coefficient than us. We are not getting into pot 3.

Edited by timeEd32

33 minutes ago, astraguy said:

The minimum target for any EPL team in the UCL has always been to make it to the round of 16, AT LEAST. Anything less than that would be considered a failure for that team, and they would even be mocked by other fans. We should be a regular top 4 team from now on, and we should be held for the same standards. 

Weaker teams than us make it past R16 all the time. In my opinion, We shouldn’t target getting 3rd in our group and qualify for Europe League. Even the financial award for getting eliminated from R16 of UCL is more than making it all the way to the final of Europa League. 

4 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

The minimum target for any EPL team in the UCL has always been to make it to the round of 16, AT LEAST. Anything less than that would be considered a failure for that team, and they would even be mocked by other fans. We should be a regular top 4 team from now on, and we should be held for the same standards. 

Weaker teams than us make it past R16 all the time. In my opinion, We shouldn’t target getting 3rd in our group and qualify for Europe League. Even the financial award for getting eliminated from R16 of UCL is more than making it all the way to the final of Europa League. 

Depends on the draw.. Who's going to mock us for not qualifying if we draw PSG, Real Madrid & Milan?

If we got Feyenoord, Porto and Rangers though I'd expect us to go through. 

54 minutes ago, astraguy said:

It's just a other comfort blanket at this point.

"Richest club in the Championship."

"You'll struggle to break the top six."

"You'll go out early in the Champions League."

At this point who cares? We're already miles ahead of schedule, even dropping into that EL wouldn't be a bad result.

just been looking at Leicester  and spuds the first season in the cl,Both got through to the last 16,but Leicester finished 12th in the league and spuds made the  Quarter-finals then 5th in the league

37 minutes ago, astraguy said:

just been looking at Leicester  and spuds the first season in the cl,Both got through to the last 16,but Leicester finished 12th in the league and spuds made the  Quarter-finals then 5th in the league

Tbf Leicester were seeded/Pot 1 for winning the league, so you would have expected them to get through a group with Bruges, Porto and Copenhagen.

Did well to beat Sevilla in the next round mind.

Copenhagen won the Danish league today, so will enter at the second qualifying round. Should they make it through they’re projected for Pot 4 currently, but wouldn’t take much for them to end up in Pot 3. 

When Man City went there this season they got an allocation of 3800, so potential for a decent trip to be had over there.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I assume there's no reason why we couldn't get both RB Salzburg and RB Leipzig? Either one would be shit. 

Yeah, they’ve been in the same group before in the Europa League, so assume it could happen here.

I think I’d be quite intrigued to go to Leipzig, more for the place than than the football. See if ‘East Germany’ still has any Eastern Bloc feel to it. Might be a bit of a twat to get to though?

Interestingly (or probably not for most normal people) if Inter win this seasons final, Feyenoord drop from Pot 1 to Pot 3, which would be a bit of bastard for them

Edited by SteV

8 minutes ago, SteV said:

Interestingly (or probably not for most normal people) if Inter win this seasons final, Feyenoord drop from Pot 1 to Pot 3, which would be a bit of bastard for them

Do they not drop to pot 2 because they are a top league champion?

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Do they not drop to pot 2 because they are a top league champion?

Apparently not. That just gets chucked out the window to accommodate Inter going into Pot 1 and Feyenoord go wherever their coefficient places them, which would be Pot 3.

Having said that, it would take a fairly terrible choke for Man City to balls the final up again against this Inter team.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

I assume there's no reason why we couldn't get both RB Salzburg and RB Leipzig? Either one would be shit. 

Aye were both in the same group in Europa a few years back.

While both fall in the MK Dons category for me in terms of opponent, they're probably up there near the top in cities I'd like to visit out of the potential draws. I've been lucky enough to already visit most of the cities in pots 1-3.