Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

2 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

As long as there's one team I think we'll definitely come above I'll be satisfied, Europa League wouldn't be end of the world if we didn't make it through.

I was quite fancying that idea at first. Obviously much more chance of winning it (than the CL), Dublin final, and a route back into the CL if we did, and you'd come in at the L32 stage so a chance to get a few more European games under our belt after only like 1 season in Europe in 15/16 years, but while it's only one game, the fact that we went from being 2 points clear over Liverpool to 4 points behind them out of nowhere the other day, Spurs looking better, and others improving, if we were to lose to Brighton, get knocked out of the cup by Man City and already starting to play catch up, then, while it shouldn't, a tough group and scraping 3rd then it might start putting needless pressure on Howe, and then if we did come through the L32, L16 and possibly get knocked out in the QF or SF stage, there wouldn't be much to show for it and may end up costing us a couple of places in the league, like finishing 8th or something.

It's strange because since we haven't been in the CL for so long and 7/8 teams don't go into 4/5 places, so you don't know when the next time will be, I wouldn't mind us facing 2 of Real, Bayern, PSG etc. give them a good match, have some memorable night, and still being in Europe by finishing 3rd, but because of how competitive the PL is, the fact we have Man City in the cup, I now definitely want 2 more straightforward matches so that we should come through the group, maybe with a bit to spare and could use the squad more against the lesser sides, and just instil a bit more positivity.

There really is such a contrast between some of the teams in each pot (ourselves included, as nobody will want us in Pot 4), but Feyenoord should really be in Pot 4, lower Pot 3 at best (nowhere near Pot 1), and the difference between Milan / Lazio and Copenhagen in Pot 3 will be huge as well. If you get Feyenoord and then like Copenhagen or Red Star then you really should be thinking of qualifying, and then we could look for a Real . Atletico etc. in Pot 2, have some amazing occasions, but still get through relatively comfortably.

36 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Last year teams received €2.8m for every game they won in the group stage and €930k for every draw in the group stage. So you're looking at a minimum of €8.4m if your group performance is good enough to qualify. 

Then each club got an additional €9.6m as a prize for actually qualifying for the Last 16.

Distribution to clubs from the 2022/23 UEFA Champions League, UEFA

Cheers Yorkie. Not really needle-moving then. Wonder how the execs will prioritise re-qualifying for next year vs progression in the competition this year.

Some of these odds may be skewed a bit with English bookies favouring us etc., and I guess Feyenoord being in Pot 1 helps their odds because there's more chance they will draw a weaker team in Pot 3 and 4 and get out of the group with them being in Pot 1, but quality-wise, they should be much lower.

So if we ended up with Bayern, Real, Milan we'd have 3 of the 11 favourites (excluding ourselves), but at the same time, we could have Feyenoord, Porto, and Copenhagen and have none of the top 16 faves.

Based on Oddschecker:

Pot 1

Man City 1

Bayern 1

Real Madrid 2

Arsenal 2

PSG 1

Barcelona 1

Man Utd 2

Newcastle 4

Pot 2

Napoli 1

Inter 2

Atletico 2

Milan 3

Dortmund 2

Leipzig 2

Benfica 1

Seville 1

Pot 3

Lazio 3

Porto 2

Sociedad 4

Union Berlin 4

Feyenoord 1

PSV 3

Lens 4

Galatasaray 4

Pot 4

Salzburg 3

Young Boys 4

Celtic 4

Braga 3

Shakhtar 3

Red Star 3

Copenhagen 3

Antwerp 4 (can't actually find any odds, but I'd assume they'd be pretty low)

6 hours ago, Bally21 said:

We are in TV paring with Arsenal - Man C and Man U are paired, paired teams are separated so they play on different nights - one of the pair is in groups A-D the other E-H, so if Arsenal go into A-D we will definitely be in E-H, if Arsenal are E-H we will be in A-D - see Eufa link - https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/0284-18dd7960fa09-4e1923dabdbf-1000--champions-league-group-stage-draw-pots-confirmed/

Strange how Real and Atletico can be in the same colour groups but Manchester and Milan teams can't.

Milans sharing a stadium must be a consideration also.

9 minutes ago, The Fountain said:

Strange how Real and Atletico can be in the same colour groups but Manchester and Milan teams can't.

Milans sharing a stadium must be a consideration also.

I think it’s more to do with TV than anything else.

They won’t want Man Utd and Man City playing on the same night because domestically in England, more people will watch their games than they will for ours or Arsenal’s.

If you look at the teams who are paired across Europe, it tends to be the bigger clubs paired then the smaller clubs paired, especially when it comes to countries with 4 teams.

Edited by Stifler

Ideal scenario for qualifying imo:

6 points from the Pot 3 team - absolute must

4 points from the Pot 2 team - these are the key games

1/3 points from the Pot 1 team - bonus points really but can't afford to lose home and away

That gives us 11 or 13 points and enough to qualify 2nd almost every time I'm assuming? 

It's good being on random forums and seeing what they are saying. A few posts from Inters forum:

Worst draw for us is probably Bayern Inter PSV Newcastle

City from the pot 1 would block Newcastle from pot 4 which is maybe the only bookie team we could draw today. None of the pot3-4 teams other than Newcastle IMO has the most realistic potential to actually scare us.

Real are in pot 2 actually. So we won't get them. City are definitely worse than Bayern, but if we get City we won't get Newcastle from pot 4. If we want to make a tough group based on City from pot 1 then that's City Inter PSV Union Berlin imo.

2 minutes ago, Paullow said:

It's good being on random forums and seeing what they are saying. A few posts from Inters forum:

Worst draw for us is probably Bayern Inter PSV Newcastle

City from the pot 1 would block Newcastle from pot 4 which is maybe the only bookie team we could draw today. None of the pot3-4 teams other than Newcastle IMO has the most realistic potential to actually scare us.

Real are in pot 2 actually. So we won't get them. City are definitely worse than Bayern, but if we get City we won't get Newcastle from pot 4. If we want to make a tough group based on City from pot 1 then that's City Inter PSV Union Berlin imo.

I was listening to the radio before and they had a European expert on talking about the draw. As expected he has said that pretty much in terms of progression, no one from the other 3 pots to draw us.

Unless you are a weaker team in pot 3, and just happy to go to big clubs, have your adventure, and go home, I doubt anyone would want us.