Newcastle United Season Review 2022/23

joeyt

23 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's definitely harsh, but also a measure of how good the season's been that the most disappointing player is one that just didn't play rather than one that was poor.

Aye fair enough. Thanks once again for Cum Town man. 

Player of the Season: Joelinton

Most Improved Player of the Season: Murphy

Most Disappointing Player: Gordon 

Signing of the Season: Isak

Goal of the Season: Almiron VS Aston Villa 4-0

Assist of the season: Isak VS Everton 4-1

Game of the Season: Newcastle 6-1 Tottenham. Will never see anything like that opening 21 minutes again.

Moment of the Season: Bruno's goal VS Brighton 4-1.

Manager rating out of 10: 10.

Season rating out of 10: 10.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Player of the Season: Schar

Most Improved Player of the Season: Longstaff

Most Disappointing Player: Targett

Signing of the Season: Isak. No question. World fucking class.

Goal of the Season: Isak v. West Ham

Assist of the season: Isak v. Everton

Game of the Season: 6-1 v. Lolspurs 

Moment of the Season: Trippier's free kick v. City. I knew we were serious then.

Manager rating out of 10: 10. No question.

Season rating out of 10: 10. No question.

Feel free to do top 3 for the categories

Player of the Season:

Joelinton 

Most Improved Player of the Season:

Longstaff, Willock, Murphy 

Most Disappointing Player:

Fraser, unsure on Gordon, think he needs time.

Signing of the Season:

Sven Botman

Goal of the Season:

Almiron vs Fulham,

ASM vs Wolves,

Wilson vs Forest.

Assist of the season:

Joe Willock assists Isak with World class outside of the boot chip Newcastle 6  Spurs 1

Isak assists Murphy with insane dribble  Everton 1  Newcastle 4

Trippier assists Willock eye of the needle pass Southampton 1 Newcastle 4

Game of the Season:

Newcastle 6 Vs Spurs 1

Newcastle 3 vs Man City 3

Moment of the Season:

Putting together 8 wins out of 10 after our unfortunate Cup loss, to help us find ourselves in the champions league 

Manager rating out of 10:  10

Lost only 5 games in 38, secured a Cup final, and Champions league football in one full season in charge.

incredible.!

Season rating out of 10:  10

Edited by mighty__mag

Player of the year is difficult.

Player of the Season: Tripps (Started 37, great leader and player)

Most Disappointing Player: Targett

Goal of the Season: Murphy Worldie

Assist of the season: Isak at Everton

Game of the Season: 6-1 Spurs

Moment of the Season: Final whistle against Leicester

Manager rating out of 10: 10

Season rating out of 10: 9.5

Player of the Season: Trippier 

Most Improved Player of the Season: Almiron

Most Disappointing Player: ASM

Goal of the Season: Almiron at Fulham

Assist of the season: Willock to Isak vs Spurs 

Game of the Season: 6-1 vs Spurs

Moment of the Season: Going 5-0 up inside 20 minutes vs Spurs

Season rating out of 10: 9.9 (had a chance to finally finish above Man Utd but that'll come :)

Edited by Interpolic

Player of the Season: Trippier - His leadership both on and off the pitch is unapparelled. 

Most Improved Player of the Season: Longstaff - He became a vital cog in the machine, and his absence showed when he got injured these last few weeks.

Most Disappointing Player: Targett - Mainly as he's not had a sniff due to Burn making the spot his own.

Signing of the Season: Pope - Saved us multiple times this season, and great value too.

Goal of the Season:  Miggy vs Fulham

Assist of the season: Willock vs Spurs

Game of the Season: 6-1 vs Spurs

Moment of the Season: :juicy:

Manager rating out of 10: 10 - unreal job.

Season rating out of 10: 10 - best season that I can remember following the club.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Incidentally, what do you reckon our best performance of the season was? The game we dominated the most throughout.

As you can see from my answers, that Spurs home game was streets ahead of anything else imo. Even with their issues, it was fantasy stuff going 5-0 up inside 20 minutes in the manner we did. And the rest of the game we controlled rather than dominated, because there was no need to exert too much energy on doing the latter :lol:

1 minute ago, Interpolic said:

As you can see from my answers, that Spurs home game was streets ahead of anything else imo. Even with their issues, it was fantasy stuff going 5-0 up inside 20 minutes in the manner we did. And the rest of the game we controlled rather than dominated, because there was no need to exert too much energy on doing the latter :lol:

:thup: It's definitely a contender. Our 2-0 vs Man United could have easily been 5 or 6 nil and I actually thought we played better in that (finishing aside) against a better team. There are loads of contenders though, what a season.

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Incidentally, what do you reckon our best performance of the season was? The game we dominated the most throughout.

Tough one because there's a few. :lol:

Forest (H) was all us for 90 minutes. Just had to wait for the 2nd half for the breakthrough. 

Villa (H) scrappy first half but 2nd half we were unstoppable and 6 or 7-0 would not have flattered us in the slightest.

Leicester (A) was our most complete away win I think. Only time we've won away from home whilst keeping a clean sheet this season incidentally.

Forest (A) again was all us for 90 mins but we left it late.

Man Utd (H) is probably our most complete performance where it was domination throughout. Especially given the importance of the game.

Spurs (H) was just frankly ridiculous. We were unstoppable but we were helped by an incredibly strange Spurs tactical set up. Amazing to witness but am unsure to call it a dominant 90 minutes, as daft as that sounds with the scoreline.

Brighton (H) was excellent in such an important game. Tactically spot on and the scoreline did not flatter us at all.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Player of the Season: Joelinton, Longstaff

Most Disappointing Player: ASM, would have loved to see him fit, but think it might be his last season with us. Didn’t do enough when he played to really nail his place.

Signing of the Season: Pope

Goal of the Season: Almiron vs Fulham

Assist of the season: Isak vs Everton 4-1

Game of the Season: Newcastle 6-1 Tottenham. Honourable mention for Man U at home.

Moment of the season: Dan Burn’s Carabao goal for me. Don’t think I’ll forget that goal for a long, long time. It’s been so class to see local lads contribute - one of my favourite aspects of the season.

Manager rating out of 10: 10.

Season rating out of 10: 9.5/10 - We kind of shat it in the final.

5 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Should definitely be a best Murphy meme question btw, the options are numerous. Lad's a meme machine. 

This was definitely mine:

jacob-murphy-nufc.gif

That was so perfect, like :lol:

Player of the Season: 1.Trippier, 2. Joelinton 3. Bruno (Schar very unlucky to miss out)

Most Improved Player of the Season:  Longstaff- Miggy and Murphy both unlucky to be here, both slightly streaky though, Miggy offers more generally even when not able to finish Miggy offers a lot, Murphy did very well to deputize though. Longstaff has been excellent though, back to where thought he could be under Rafa

Most Disappointing Player: Gordon, still not convinced tbh.

Signing of the Season: Botman has been excellent, our defence has far exceeded expectations

Goal of the Season: Schar against forest wasnt bad start hah but has to be Miggy v Fulham

Assist of the season: That Willock pass...wouldnt be surprised to see Modric do that which is praise enough

Game of the Season: Was thinking of more complete performances maybe Man U 2-0 that really got us on course for Europe again but has to be absolutely destroying Spurs, and I wasn't even able to watch it live ffs, sat with non football friend outside the Cluney lol

Moment of the Season: Can't get over Isak watching his goal go in next to fabianski both in same pose like two people just crashed their cars reversing in a car park

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRw-t9AUIf0EwfAj1meiLH

Manager rating out of 10: 10 anyone who can find fault is an unreasonable pedant

Season rating out of 10: 9 - has to lose a point unfortunately for terrible performance in the league cup final but otherwise perfection. 

With new season comes new more demanding expectations. I was not a football fan until got to uni (complicated story) so I don't have memories of us under Robson and Keegan to look back on tbh so this, this is the first team where I love everyone. Every single one of them. Even Lascelles, Ritchie whom barely had a kick (ok not Fraser). There is a little bit of melancholy creeping in though. New players will come, loved ones will go, I fear will never be quite this special, the players won't be overperforming they will either be doing what we expect of them or underperforming...all to say in the years to come when we expect to make Champions league a little bit of me fears it won't quite be so good, except maybe when we win our first title. Regardless, I dunno if it will get better than this, I've enjoyed it all and look forward to the future.

Edited by Tiresias

Player of the Season: Schar

Most Improved Player of the Season:  Murphy

Most Disappointing Player: Dubravka - Fucked us over just so he could play twice for Man Utd.

Signing of the Season: Pope. He's so good it doesn't matter that he can't kick a ball.

Goal of the Season:  Miggy against Fulham.

Assist of the season: Willock vs. Spurs.

Game of the Season: Spurs (H)

Moment of the Season: Wilson's goal vs Brighton.

Season rating out of 10:  9.0

Player of the Season:   Bruno - the heartbeat of this team

Most Improved Player of the Season:  Murphy. Sean a close second.

Most Disappointing Player:  Gordon, but only in the sense that I rated him highly and expected him to do a bit better, even at this early stage. Nobody else has disappointed me - the hallmark of this team is how everyone plays at or near their max.

Signing of the Season:  Isak

Goal of the Season:  Murphy v Everton. Not a great finish, but the set-up by Isak was incredible. It's the one that sticks in the mind.

Assist of the season:  See above

Game of the Season:  6-1 v Spurs. 5-0 up after 20 minutes - unforgettable

Moment of the Season:  The final whistle against Leicester. Very emotional.

Manager rating out of 10:  10, of course.

Season rating out of 10:  10

Player of the Season: Joelinton

Most Disappointing Player: Fraser

Signing of the Season: Botman

Goal of the Season: Almiron vs Fulham

Assist of the season: Isak vs Everton

Game of the Season: 6-1 v Tottenham (H)

Moment of the Season: Isak assist vs Everton

Season rating out of 10: 9.5

Edited by looneytoon

27 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Tough one because there's a few. :lol:

Forest (H) was all us for 90 minutes. Just had to wait for the 2nd half for the breakthrough. 

Villa (H) scrappy first half but 2nd half we were unstoppable and 6 or 7-0 would not have flattered us in the slightest.

Leicester (A) was our most complete away win I think. Only time we've won away from home whilst keeping a clean sheet this season incidentally.

Forest (A) again was all us for 90 mins but we left it late.

Man Utd (H) is probably our most complete performance where it was domination throughout. Especially given the importance of the game.

Spurs (H) was just frankly ridiculous. We were unstoppable but we were helped by an incredibly strange Spurs tactical set up. Amazing to witness but am unsure to call it a dominant 90 minutes, as daft as that sounds with the scoreline.

Brighton (H) was excellent in such an important game. Tactically spot on and the scoreline did not flatter us at all.

Aye, you've basically listed all of the contenders there. :lol: Maybe Spurs away as well in terms of controlling the game. Southampton away was class as well. I kind of want to put Brighton in there as number 1 because the first half was tactically so spot on and it was so important, but the last half an hour was nerve-wracking. Maybe that one gets the number 1 tactical performance or something rather than best/domination 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Aye, you've basically listed all of the contenders there. :lol: Maybe Spurs away as well in terms of controlling the game. Southampton away was class as well. I kind of want to put Brighton in there as number 1 because the first half was tactically so spot on and it was so important, but the last half an hour was nerve-wracking. Maybe that one gets the number 1 tactical performance or something rather than best/domination 

Spurs away was the game that made me think "fucking hell, we've actually got a really good side here" and that we may have a real of chance of finishing in the top 6. Monumental game and result in the context of the season but in the first 20 minutes they got behind us a few times and missed 1 or 2 good chances before we took the lead.

Southampton away, the league game I'm assuming, I didn't actually think we were that great. Yet we won 1-4. :lol: Hallmark of a really good team.

2 hours ago, toon25 said:

Great thread. Need to have a think, me

Aye same here. Pretty sure goal of the season was one of Miggy's just because of the passing interplay that went before it, not just the finish.

The rest I'll look at properly later.

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Player of the Season: Joelinton.. it's like we miss two players when he is out.

Most Disappointing Player: Frazer

Signing of the Season: Isak... It proved we could buy players of his standard 

Goal of the Season: the first goal of the season, Schar v forest 

Assist of the season: Willock to Isak v spurs

Game of the Season: spurs... We may have destroyed them as a top four team

Moment of the Season: Dan Burn semi... Goal

Manager rating out of 10: 10... A full strength squad would have seen him achieve our dream

Season rating out of 10: 10... No cups but the biggest season of our generation (or two)

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Player of the Season: Joelinton

Most Improved Player of the Season: Murphy, Longstaff is a good shout too.

Most Disappointing Player: everyone has been so good, I'm only disappointed for some players (like Targett) who didn't get to play much, or ASM who I think has been injured all season. 

Signing of the Season: Botman. Hard to imagine us doing this with Lascalles starting every week.

Goal of the Season: Wilson at Spurs. Bodying Lloris and then chipping it in over a few defenders with his left foot. There are other goals that were "better" but that was my favorite.

Assist of the season: Willock to Isak.

Game of the Season: 3-3 vs City. After a few draws that one really showed that the ceiling for this team was a lot higher than everyone expected. 

Moment of the Season: Lascalles getting carded twice from the bench for disrupting throw-ins. I fucking love that we aren't a walkover team any more. 

Manager rating out of 10: Ten. Really hope they show some faith in Eddie whenever we hit the inevitable bobble, think he can be an institution here.

Season rating out of 10: 9.99999 because I have to save the 10 for winning the champions league next year.

Edited by Miercoles