Yankuba Minteh (now playing for Brighton & Hove Albion)

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Eh? We signed Barnes a year ago, what's that got to do with it?

We were never seeing Minteh in a Newcastle shirt. Take the incredible windfall and forget him. 

You won't have the luxury of forgetting him when he's starting on the RW for Brighton mate

Just now, Upthemags said:

You won't have the luxury of forgetting him when he's starting on the RW for Brighton mate

Think of it as Brighton buying him from Odense but we got a shitload of cash as facilitators. 

1 minute ago, Upthemags said:

Actually the money he brought in has been expended well in advance of his leaving - this is why some posters are (rightfully) criticizing the strange Barnes acquisition when we had needs on the RW.

This move was to cover a shortfall, not to spend now.

Ah. I thought it was a rolling 3 year period so come July first we write off the first year expenditure and this 30m income looks good for next year.

I can't keep up. Need a morons guide to PSR. Should be out there as the opinion seems to be that it was written by morons.

I remember Ashworth (I na) and Eales saying that it’s all well and good buying well, but it’s important to be able to sell well too.

I am disappointed we never got to see what he can do here, but to make the profit we have on someone who hasn’t even completed a training session for us is crazy. He’s not played in a decent league yet. Already can’t be arsed with the knuckle draggers on Twitter crying whenever he does something decent for Brighton, like they did Mitro at Fulham.

Going back to my first point about selling well, obviously hindsight is important here but selling Almiron when his stock was high last summer would’ve been selling at the right time. Likewise, if we knew FFP was an upcoming problem, getting rid of Trippier in January for a decent fee would’ve been the right thing to do.

I hope we learn from it to ensure we don’t need to sell any top youth prospects again, and start becoming more ruthless. There’s more than a few this summer need to be peddled for a start. 

13 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Admittedly I haven't bothered learning owt about PSR. Does us having to sell Minteh to balance the books, equate to us having more money to spend in July? I thought it was purely to avoid punishment.

Perhaps not.

The issue the club got in is that FFP / PSR is done in a rolling 3 season block. By the end of this June the total losses for the last 3 years need to be £105m.

However the season 21/22 season, where the club bought a load of players but revenue was abysmal, now drops out and the 3 year period becomes 22/23, 23/24 and 24/25. the club can go again, but with higher revenues.

I would expect a similiar spend to last two summers. We will never ever get a crazy summer with PSR though

Edited by WilliamPS

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I think the aim is to have a thriving academy with quality players coming through. 

Those good enough to impact the first team will be brought through, and those that aren't, should hopefully then still get us a fee from other clubs.

I don't think we'll be as crass as the likes of Chelsea with this whole model. They are spending insane amounts of money on players, and don't really have the patience to bring through players and so it's a different mindset with them.

We're very early into the restructuring of the club and had to spend loads to play catch-up just after the takeover. At the same time there are hardly any assets we can move to make money, and the financial deals are still being built up. That's the main reason we've had to move Minteh.

Yeah definitely. We’ve had a few windows of spending with next to no outgoings, certainly not enough significant outgoings. A reckoning and rebalancing was inevitable. We had no saleable assets due to the deadwood Ashley/Bruce left us. We’re having to build up from scratch, a cadre of talent that will help propel the club closer to the ones it aspires to emulate. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

We were never seeing Minteh in a Newcastle shirt. Take the incredible windfall and forget him. 

I don’t think this is true. If we could’ve sold Miggy, I’m sure Howe would’ve loved to have given Minteh a look. 

Also Minteh’s another good season from adding another £10-20m to his value. We’re potentially selling Nvidia stock in 2019.  Which is why Brighton want him. If he continues to develop at the rate he has, he’ll be worth double in 24 months. But we’ve had to take the short term money to save our bacon. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He’s the most talented RW we have in the squad. His ceiling is a £60m+ player in the weakest position we have in the squad. We could’ve sorted our weakest position in the squad with a £8m transfer. Instead we are likely to sell another player to fund a £30m+ RW that will be a significant FFP burden for another 4-5 years. Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul type stuff. 

Until he smashes it up at Brighton that's an impossible thing to say. Could be another Tomasson, Klaasen, Kezman, Altidore, Afonso Alves for all we know. None of them were as good as Almiron or Murphy in the Premier League. 

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

In all honesty, I'm a bit dubious that we've planted fake news stories about Isak and Gordon to stave off any angst about selling Minteh. Do the non-nerds even know about him? 

Seems more likely that we anticipated getting business done in the form of the DCL thing (or peddling Bruno?) That fell through, we panicked, but Brighton saved the day. 

It didn't add up though. We wouldn’t budge on fees for both Isak and Gordon, when both buying clubs were briefing they'd never meet those figures. You also had local journos reporting neither were for sale a matter of days ago.

40 minutes ago, gbandit said:

£33m, cheap in one sense if he fulfils his potential but whatever, let’s just get it over with 

£33 million is what we paid for the likes of Bruno and Botman ... it is not cheap. 

If they can develop him further and reap the benefits then kudos to them.

No different from us putting Bruno in position to thrive and more than triple in value compared to what we paid.

We're not going to be the ones benefitting all the time.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I think the aim is to have a thriving academy with quality players coming through. 

Those good enough to impact the first team will be brought through, and those that aren't, should hopefully then still get us a fee from other clubs.

I don't think we'll be as crass as the likes of Chelsea with this whole model. They are spending insane amounts of money on players, and don't really have the patience to bring through players and so it's a different mindset with them.

We're very early into the restructuring of the club and had to spend loads to play catch-up just after the takeover. At the same time there are hardly any assets we can move to make money, and the financial deals are still being built up. That's the main reason we've had to move Minteh.

Ultimately this isn't anything we didn't half expect. It just stings right now as I think we were hopeful we would have found loopholes or ways around PSR already.

We knew the ghost of Ashley and co. Would haunt us for another few years. I think we are surely around our worst and hopefully it should get better each year (touch wood).

We are taking losses for each year we can't shift any of the Bruce era dross and are still 2 to 3 years away from anyone really coming through the youth system. Minteh sucks but it's certainly better than the likes of isak, Bruno and Gordon.

We should be happy the Miley to Barcelona rumours haven't come back to surface!

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

...because some fans have never got over him being brought in to replace ASM, so they stick the boot in at every opportunity.

Christ I've got a spring in me step now like. :lol: I've been an utter misery all fucking day with that Gordon stuff. 

I'm not convinced there was no truth to those stories but I'm very fucking happy that it's Minteh on his way instead. 

Ashworth's reputation spiking a bit as well, mind... this is incredible business 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He’s the most talented RW we have in the squad. His ceiling is a £60m+ player in the weakest position we have in the squad. We could’ve sorted our weakest position in the squad with a £8m transfer. Instead we are likely to sell another player to fund a £30m+ RW that will be a significant FFP burden for another 4-5 years. Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul type stuff. 

It’s the best result all things considered. But it does suck.  Had we sold a player we were happy to sell, everyone would be happy. If Minteh was a CM, less people would care. We have lots of options there. We don’t at RW. 

Just ignoring the multiple people who have mentioned that we were in for Olise ?