Yankuba Minteh (now playing for Brighton & Hove Albion)

44 minutes ago, Lee Charnley said:

Look at the players Chelsea sold. It'll happen with this model. Salah, debruyne to name just 2

This sale isn’t a model sale. The model is to sell players that are good but not good enough for us for a profit.  KDB was deemed not good enough. That wasn’t the situation here. 

41 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

At the end of the day it looks like it was him or Gordon. Not even close to who was the correct choice to sacrifice. 

Nobody has said otherwise. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

This sale isn’t a model sale. The model is to sell players that are good but not good enough for us for a profit.  KDB was deemed not good enough. That wasn’t the situation here. 

I'm seeing quite a few whining about him being sold because he's scored two goals against non top level opposition in a friendly. Let's see what he does in the premier league first and then have the discussion. We were left with no choice and I don't think he would have been at the club this season anyway.

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I thought you thought the plan was to sell Bruno ?

1 hour ago, Unbelievable said:

Can so many of you stop requesting for a thread to be closed because you cannot handle a few people wanting to discuss how a player, previously on our books, continues his career away from the club? Or because you cannot resist having cheap digs at those people who do telling them to let go?

Perhaps you could instead show some self constraint and not click on the thread title if the subject does not particularly interest you, aye..?

Happy for you to keep the thread, just move it to the hidden forum so it doesn't affect us normies.

:pards:

How many full games have people actually seen him play? [emoji38]

Almiron has a highlights reel against PL opposition that makes him look like a prime Robben. 

Players have had better pre-seasons than this on the back of a good season and Holland be raved about as absolute nailed on certs to light up the league but go on to be absolutely terrible.

People handled selling Gascoigne better than this.

Just now, Jaqen said:

How many full games have people actually seen him play? [emoji38]

Almiron has a highlights reel against PL opposition that makes him look like a prime Robben. 

Probably about a dozen on TV. I also kepted check on Kuol when he played. I wouldn't have been too pleased if Minteh had belonged to someone else and we paid 35mill.

49 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I'm seeing quite a few whining about him being sold because he's scored two goals against non top level opposition in a friendly. Let's see what he does in the premier league first and then have the discussion. We were left with no choice and I don't think he would have been at the club this season anyway.

You can wish we were able to keep him but still understand and accept the reasons he was sold. 
I mean… that’s pretty straight forward right?

47 minutes ago, madras said:

I thought you thought the plan was to sell Bruno ?

His release clause expired with a week to go before the PSR deadline (genuinely good decision that). Towards that deadline when it became apparent/increasingly likely the release clause would not be activated - that’s when the Minteh rumours started picking up.  Likewise we started talking to Everton and Forest about dodgy dealings.  

so when it became apparent Bruno wouldn’t be sold, Minteh was as the only player besides the Crown Jewels that clubs actually wanted for some proper money so we had to sell him. Then we scrambled for the rest of the money which is why we ended up spending £20m for a failed £5m 29 year old GK and settled the Ashworth money by the FFP deadline. 

We should’ve been better prepared for Bruno’s release clause not being activated. 

I thought you were smart and could add basic events up. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

You can wish we were able to keep him but still understand and accept the reasons he was sold. 
I mean… that’s pretty straight forward right?

His release clause expired with a week to go before the PSR deadline (genuinely good decision that). Towards that deadline when it became apparent/increasingly likely the release clause would not be activated - that’s when the Minteh rumours started picking up.  Likewise we started talking to Everton and Forest about dodgy dealings.  

so when it became apparent Bruno wouldn’t be sold, Minteh was as the only player besides the Crown Jewels that clubs actually wanted for some proper money so we had to sell him. Then we scrambled for the rest of the money which is why we ended up spending £20m for a failed £5m 29 year old GK and settled the Ashworth money by the FFP deadline. 

We should’ve been better prepared for Bruno’s release clause not being activated. 

I thought you were smart and could add basic events up. 

Really ? Brunos clause didn't have to be activated, we could've sold him for 80mill before his deadline had we wanted.

I don't think there was "a plan" in that way. They knew they had certain assets they could cash in if needs be and while it was tight given the choice of losing Bruno, Gordon or Isak for less than optimal, or Minteh and Anderson going for what they did.......it's an easy choice for me.

We clearly had our price for Bruno and the deadline was purposely lined up to help with the FFP deadline.  

And in any case - it doesn’t look like anyone bid £80m to test our resolve. 

The contract and clause was signed within this FFP window. 

BTW this is the scenario that gives the club the MOST credit.  I hope you realise that. We knew we would have a FFP shortfall in October when the contract was signed. And by January we knew it would likely be £50m net. January is the latest we would need a decent FFP exit strategy and banking on selling Minteh wouldn’t have been a good strategy. Or Anderson for that matter.  And it seems likely they both their transfers wasn’t enough which is why the Ashworth deal went through the same day.  

With FFP you need a proper fucking plan. With several different other routes. We were underprepared and a Minteh ACL away from selling the car or house.  Or going grovelling in Chelsea, Leicester etc. for an even crazier deal than the Forest ones. 

I think we’ve learnt our lessons which is partly why this summer we are moving much slower. 

26 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I mean… that’s pretty straight forward right

I just don't understand people going on about it. I would have been perfectly ok with him being sold for the fee we got without any PSR necessarily. £33 million, a massive profit, for a player where a lot of his own fan base last season were still not entirely convinced, seems pretty good to me. Each to their own though, time will tell. 

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We clearly had our price for Bruno and the deadline was purposely lined up to help with the FFP deadline.  

And in any case - it doesn’t look like anyone bid £80m to test our resolve. 

The contract and clause was signed within this FFP window. 

BTW this is the scenario that gives the club the MOST credit.  I hope you realise that. We knew we would have a FFP shortfall in October when the contract was signed. And by January we knew it would likely be £50m net. January is the latest we would need a decent FFP exit strategy and banking on selling Minteh wouldn’t have been a good strategy. Or Anderson for that matter.  And it seems likely they both their transfers wasn’t enough which is why the Ashworth deal went through the same day.  

With FFP you need a proper fucking plan. With several different other routes. We were underprepared and a Minteh ACL away from selling the car or house.  Or going grovelling in Chelsea, Leicester etc. for an even crazier deal than the Forest ones. 

I think we’ve learnt our lessons which is partly why this summer we are moving much slower. 

Eales said we would possibly have to trade, probably a purple......we didn't need to. I'd say the plan (which isn't really a plan, more a preparedness for differing circumstances) worked. 

It was always going to be tight given the situation we came from (little in the way of saleable assets we can survive without) but we gambled and got through with the purples intact.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

We should have just sold Bruno,Isak or Gordon then as we needed to sell. You should explain your model, what would you have done differently over the last 3 years. We overspent, over achieved. Selling a player we had never seen who may turn out to be the next Pele and Anderson is ok. It's better than selling players that we know perform. You can blame the leadership but we would have got relegated in the first season. 

27 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I just don't understand people going on about it. I would have been perfectly ok with him being sold for the fee we got without any PSR necessarily. £33 million, a massive profit, for a player where a lot of his own fan base last season were still not entirely convinced, seems pretty good to me. Each to their own though, time will tell. 

You might’ve been happy to sell regardless. But the wider view in the game is that Minteh could end up being worth much more than that pretty soon. Which is why a decent number of clubs wanted him at £30m+. It’s like selling a stock in a company that you bought early for cheap when the market thinks it’s going to continue to do well. 

I also don’t think the club thought it’s the optimal time to sell either. But we had debts to pay and it was the stock or the car or the house that had to go. 

29 minutes ago, madras said:

Eales said we would possibly have to trade, probably a purple......we didn't need to. I'd say the plan (which isn't really a plan, more a preparedness for differing circumstances) worked. 

It was always going to be tight given the situation we came from (little in the way of saleable assets we can survive without) but we gambled and got through with the purples intact.

Mate - a £300m revenue per year business needs hard plans for rules that will directly impact business performance. Being prepared means having several actionable plans in good time. In this case That means September or January at the latest. Selling Minteh - could not have been one of them until fairly late in the game.  

If it wasn’t for doing last minute shady deals with Forest AND getting comp for Ashworth - we still would’ve had to sell a purple.  

Eales said we would probably need to sell a purple…. Because he planned to sell a purple (Bruno) or a blue (Joelinton).  

Chelsea’s FFP strategy is to find loopholes and sell academy products. 

I know we didn’t plan to do the loophole thing until late in the day because our dodgy transfers with Forest were very very shit.  

47 minutes ago, Kanji said:

It’s so fucking mind numbing. Seriously shut the fuck up over it. 

Nobody needs to stfu except the people coming into a thread to tell people to stop posting in it when they can easily avoid entering it…

edit: to illustrate that point, I couldn’t care less for the MLS or England (national team), but you don’t see me telling people to stop posting in them, or for mods to lock them because they bore the hell out of me?

Edited by Unbelievable

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You might’ve been happy to sell regardless. But the wider view in the game is that Minteh could end up being worth much more than that pretty soon. Which is why a decent number of clubs wanted him at £30m+. It’s like selling a stock in a company that you bought early for cheap when the market thinks it’s going to continue to do well. 

I also don’t think the club thought it’s the optimal time to sell either. But we had debts to pay and it was the stock or the car or the house that had to go. 

Mate - a £300m revenue per year business needs hard plans for rules that will directly impact business performance. Being prepared means having several actionable plans in good time. In this case That means September or January at the latest. Selling Minteh - could not have been one of them until fairly late in the game.  

If it wasn’t for doing last minute shady deals with Forest AND getting comp for Ashworth - we still would’ve had to sell a purple.  

Eales said we would probably need to sell a purple…. Because he planned to sell a purple (Bruno) or a blue (Joelinton).  

Chelsea’s FFP strategy is to find loopholes and sell academy products. 

I know we didn’t plan to do the loophole thing until late in the day because our dodgy transfers with Forest were very very shit.  

I know we'd have had to sell a purple ....but we didn't.

Re having plans, plans are there (ie if a 150mill bid comes in for Isak) but they aren't plans really as you don't know if they're coming or not so they are only preparations for scenarios.. ..if we hadn't done "shady deals with Forest" then it may have been a purple....as it turns  out it wasn't.

We can't say if a purple had been sold what we'd have done with the cash, so as of now, I'm happier with those purples still here and Minteh and Anderson paying off our debts.