Nicolo Barella

HaydnNUFC

43 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Would be a typical Man Utd signing, then moan in January when there's an injury shortage and there's only cash left for a stop gap loan deal. 

ScreenShot2023-06-16at9_23_54AM.thumb.png.74b9b39013d3ded082cc345c63213a5d.png

1 hour ago, Pata said:

I don't think that's true at all, they clearly like to stay in Italy just as English players like to stay in the UK.

Maybe they do, but I still don't think there's that many outstanding ones which Premier league clubs would be chasing. Barella actually is one though.

19 minutes ago, TRon said:

Maybe they do, but I still don't think there's that many outstanding ones which Premier league clubs would be chasing. Barella actually is one though.

Even if that's true right now (which I disagree with) you said there hasn't been that many in the past ~15 years. 

Someone already said it earlier but Italian players have no trouble finding other big Italian clubs even if they fail at one. There are always the classic big clubs and couple of other good teams pop up cyclically like Atalanta right now.

Edited by Pata

2 hours ago, Pata said:

I don't think that's true at all, they clearly like to stay in Italy just as English players like to stay in the UK.

Three Euro finals, one Euro win and a world cup win since the PL became the richest in the world - but Italian players not good enough for England.

20 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Three Euro finals, one Euro win and a world cup win since the PL became the richest in the world - but Italian players not good enough for England.

I’m still waiting on someone giving me a centre mid from Italy who’s been a success?🤷🏼‍♂️ All I was presented with was a reserve GK… a centre forward that played 10 times before his career ended and a few No.10’s that were hit & miss 🙂

24 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

International football is different to club football though, we can see that with English domination of Europe at club level which is totally different from the international stage. Because England can't pick the likes of Gundogan or Haaland just to name two.

Not saying Italian players aren't good, just not sure they are top whack. But let's name a few and see which clubs they would fit. Chiesa maybe? Who would have him?

7 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Jorginho?

9 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I’m still waiting on someone giving me a centre mid from Italy who’s been a success?🤷🏼‍♂️ All I was presented with was a reserve GK… a centre forward that played 10 times before his career ended and a few No.10’s that were hit & miss 🙂

Roberto Di Matteo.

9 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Roberto Di Matteo.

22 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I mean I definitely answered this.

The real question is how many have there actually been? I can't think of a single first choice Italian international midfielder in the last 30 years has ever moved to England since PL began. 

Albertini, D. Baggio, Pirlo, Gattuso, Ambrosini, De Rossi, Verratti etc. Even players in the next bracket down there has been very few/none who have actually moved to England. You can probably say the same for most other positions on the pitch too like CB and centre forward. The kinds of players who have tended to move to England have been younger players, peripheral international players, or those in their older years. 

Jorginho and Di Matteo probably the only real examples I can think of first choice Italian midfielders who played in England during peak years. And neither of them are actually Italian so only reinforce the rule tbh.

If we signed Barella he'd be probably the most prominent example I can think of as an Italian player moving to an Engish club. It's why I think it so unlikely tbh.

Edited by ponsaelius

Guest reefatoon
39 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Are you just writing off all future Italian midfielders forever? I am sure there would have been a multitude of quality midfielders who would have been a success if they had moved. Don’t be put off or write a whole country off by what has been in the past. [emoji38]

41 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Jorginho?

Chelsea fans didn’t think so. He’s been ok but definitely has his limitations. He’s nowt special but happy to have him as one which I was before the other day.

33 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Roberto Di Matteo.

Only one that comes to mind which is the point I’m making. In the many decades of the ability for EPL teams to sign them it’s very rare and also rarely successful.

31 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Samuele Dalla Bonna wasn't bad for Chelsea either.

You should’ve quit at Di Matteo 🙂

31 minutes ago, CFlan said:

Aquilani 

Biggest EPL flop ever? Certainly up their for Liverpool as worst transfers made.

27 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Eranio. 

🙂 You are all reaching now…

Edited by LFEE

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Chelsea fans didn’t think so. He’s been ok but definitely has his limitations. He’s nowt special.

Only one that comes to mind which is the point I’m making. In the many decades of the ability for EPL teams to sign them it’s very rare and also rarely successful.

You should’ve quit at Di Matteo 🙂

Biggest EPL flop ever? Certainly up their for Liverpool as worst transfers made.

🙂 You are all reaching now…

Eranio was quality? He adapted to English football easily. 

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Eranio was quality? He adapted to English football easily. 

Didn’t set the world alight though did he? Probably looked canny for a Derby County side.

Just now, LFEE said:

Didn’t set the world alight though did he? Probably looked canny for a Derby County side.

He was one of the star players in a team that finished top half a couple of seasons, that on paper should have been nowhere near....while in his 30s...no issues at all adapting to the PL. 

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He was one of the star players in a team that finished top half a couple of seasons, that on paper should have been nowhere near....while in his 30s...no issues at all adapting to the PL. 

Ok let’s stick him in then for argument sake. We are up to 3 approx in 30 years approx. So like I said. You don’t get many Italian centre midfielders that have been great. Even then 1 who’s had a couple of decent seasons for Derby. 1 that’s been hit and miss for Chelsea and now Arsenal. Then Di Matteo who’s been the best of the bunch.

I get your drift but I'd say it's a fairly limited argument in practice. As another poster pointed out, if a player such as Verrati or prime De Rossi comes here and plays for a big side who succeed...

And Dalla Bonna was good for Chelsea! They sold Wise and Poyet because they identified him to be their replacement...

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Ok let’s stick him in then for argument sake. We are up to 3 approx in 30 years approx. So like I said. You don’t get many Italian centre midfielders that have been great. Even then 1 who’s had a couple of decent seasons for Derby. 1 that’s been hit and miss for Chelsea and now Arsenal. Then Di Matteo who’s been the best of the bunch.

How many Italian CMs have failed? Obviously there's Aquilani. If say there's only been 6 and 3 were hits, that's not a bad hit rate. Like people have pointed out, clearly a language/cultural thing and they might just prefer the climate and culture at home. Doesn't mean to say the ones who take the punt can't be hits.