Nicolo Barella

HaydnNUFC

6 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Ok let’s stick him in then for argument sake. We are up to 3 approx in 30 years approx. So like I said. You don’t get many Italian centre midfielders that have been great. Even then 1 who’s had a couple of decent seasons for Derby. 1 that’s been hit and miss for Chelsea and now Arsenal. Then Di Matteo who’s been the best of the bunch.

Why do you think that is, then?

Just now, Theregulars said:

I get your drift but I'd say it's a fairly limited argument in practice. As another poster pointed out, if a player such as Verrati or prime De Rossi comes here and plays for a big side who succeed...

And Dalla Bonna was good for Chelsea! They sold Wise and Poyet because they identified him to be their replacement...

My argument is only as limited as the scope it requires to prove it. It’s never been about the quality of Italian midfielders with their careers elsewhere. They would be two examples that would make a great litmus test as on paper their style would be suited and they’ve certainly proven themselves elsewhere. However I’d still have lingering doubts about both being as effective. Not saying they wouldn’t be but none of our big teams have ever been seriously linked with them over the years which makes you wonder.

Dalla Bona made 55 appearances in 3 years for Chelsea. Apart from his name nothing in particular stood out about him. So I’d suggest Chelsea made a mistake although that’s probably a bit harsh. Wasn’t he similar to Connor Gallagher now?

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

My argument is only as limited as the scope it requires to prove it. It’s never been about the quality of Italian midfielders with their careers elsewhere. They would be two examples that would make a great litmus test as on paper their style would be suited and they’ve certainly proven themselves elsewhere. However I’d still have lingering doubts about both being as effective. Not saying they wouldn’t be but none of our big teams have ever been seriously linked with them over the years which makes you wonder.

Dalla Bona made 55 appearances in 3 years for Chelsea. Apart from his name nothing in particular stood out about him. So I’d suggest Chelsea made a mistake although that’s probably a bit harsh. Wasn’t he similar to Connor Gallagher now?

Dalla Bona had more success in England than Italy so go figure. 

7 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Why do you think that is, then?

Not sure. Maybe it’s the culture and therefore London aside they’ve struggled a bit integrating. I’d like to think since the 3 foreigner rule was scrapped and the whole of the UK’s squads are more diverse geography wouldn’t be much of a thing now and it’s just a case of playing catch up and more will try it.

If I was being very primitive I’d still say it’s the pace and physicality of our league. Modern refereeing will help and has helped foreign players settle better hence why it has seeped in more and more despite the frustrations of many a home crowd.

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Dalla Bona had more success in England than Italy so go figure. 

I’d argue had no success anywhere 🙂 So not sure what point you are trying to make with him?

Has any of this anything to do with us possibly pursuing Barella ?

Look, I know we are getting antsy with not hearing anything yet but fuck me the last couple of days have lead to some tedious exchanges on here........ and that's coming from me FFS.

I think it’s an interesting subject. :dontknow:

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Serie A and PL have the largest number of big clubs and players mostly stay at home. La Liga, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 have less big clubs per league and have more players in other big leagues.

Well, I think we can all agree that if Barella comes to Newcastle and fails, that proves that Italians in general can't play in midfield.

So let's just buy him and settle this debate once and for all. It's the only way to sort it, and that's science.

It's not just culture but language too. Italy in general has much lower English proficiency than northern Europe - particularly the kind of demographics who become footballers. Obviously this is not too dissimilar to France/Spain/Portugal but there's a much bigger critical mass of players who speak those languages because you have South Americans and West Africans in abundance too which makes it easier to adapt when there's already an enclave of players there too speaking languages and sharing culture. Italian is much more of a language isolate.

Jorginho is Brazilian and moved to Europe at 16. Di Matteo was born in Schaffhausen and speaks German as a first language - didn't even move to Italy to play football until he was in his 20s. 

I'd be surprised if we hear anything more now until after the international games are out of the way. I know things are all sorted by agents and what not but can't see them wanting to distract the players with transfer talk whilst they've got important matches to play.

6 minutes ago, Pata said:

I think it’s an interesting subject. :dontknow:

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Serie A and PL have the largest number of big clubs and players mostly stay at home. La Liga, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 have less big clubs per league and have more players in other big leagues.

Exactly. Wasn’t meant as a trick question. Certainly would be welcoming of Barella also as I was Pistone & Santon. It just got me thinking that if the later two were rated albeit nowhere near as highly and flopped then no guarantees with Barella especially when I added the caveat I couldn’t think of many Italian midfielder successes on these shores. Hence asking the question. There is a wider point even that they struggle everywhere apart them homeland which maybe true also.

Lets be honest in the pantheon of great EPL central midfielders in the last 30years I doubt Eranio, Dalla Bona, Jorginho (lesser so) and even Di Matteo (best of the bunch) will make anyone’s dream teams 🙂

14 minutes ago, McCormick said:

New report says they’re looking for 100m euros (85m pounds) for him. Unlikely that we’ll match that.

Yeah don’t think we are in a position to be spending that much on one player just yet.

22 minutes ago, McCormick said:

New report says they’re looking for 100m euros (85m pounds) for him. Unlikely that we’ll match that.

Pricing themselves out of the market, Rice will be the same, compromises will be made .

The best Italian midfielders usually seem like one club guys or if they broke through from a smaller team they get the big move and stick around for a while and bounce between the top clubs. Why didn’t Lampard, Xavi, or Gerard leave their countries? The clubs they were at were challenging for honors and such. It doesn’t seem so crazy to say that. 

6 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Pricing themselves out of the market, Rice will be the same, compromises will be made .

No clue obviously but I imagine we’ll only do a deal if it’s less than 65m (pounds), which I’m not sure they’ll be willing to drop to.

29 minutes ago, McCormick said:

£65m might get it done?

Be interesting to see what we do, if we really like him. There's no waiting it out like we did with Maddison, who had a year less on his contract. Price isn't likely to come down for Barella.

From my experience of Italians and maybe why their footballers tend not to venture too far from their homeland to play in other countries like a lot of other footballers from other nations do, could be down to how family orientated Italians are in general. They like to be around their families a lot almost in every possible way, be it in business, in social gatherings or just at home.

I knew of one Italian whose household basically consisted of him, his wife and kids, his mum and dad, Nona, and other siblings he brought over to live with him in the U.K., and his business was basically staffed with just family members too, here and back in Italy. Culturally the family aspect in Italian culture is huge and multi-faceted.

If you’re an Italian footballer used to being around and with your family almost exclusively in such a way it probably isn’t as easy to just up and leave such an environment on your own or even with just your wife and kids and maybe that’s why they tend to stay in their own country to play their football. Earning more money elsewhere is attractive, but not a trade-off to perhaps justify moving and leaving behind the family culture and environment?

Look at our own Bruno, I don’t think he’d have adapted here like he has without his family being with him all the way and having a fellow Brazilian already at the club in Joelinton whose own family has no doubt become an extension of Bruno’s and vice versa. Obviously Brazilians move all over and do so because of the financial reward, even if they would prefer to be back in Brazil. Italian wages may not be Premier League wages, but Serie A does pay well and it’s still a top league.

I think it’s probably that factor (the family dynamic/culture), however, more than any other that would prevent Italians deciding to just up and leave for pastures new rather than swapping a Milan for a Manchester, or AC for Arsenal, or 100k a week for 150k a week. It’s certainly not ability as to why our own game here in England hasn’t the kind of pedigree with Italians like it does with the French, the Dutch, Brazilians and other nationalities.

Edited by Tiburon

Real Madrid

Barcelona

Bayern

PSG

Man City

Man United

Arsenal

Liverpool

A few others you can certainly make a case for but that's a list of clubs that I would say we can't really compete with in terms of transfer fee and wages.

Barella is obviously a top quality player but there are lots of other good options out there for teams looking for CMs. Real have gone for Bellingham, Arsenal clearly want Rice, Liverpool got MacAllister and seem to be closing in on Thuram and Kone.

Yes there's a chance someone comes in for Barella but it's quite possible the really top teams either don't need a CM this window or else prefer different options for one reason or another.