Nicolo Barella

HaydnNUFC

11 minutes ago, christ said:

Milan’s shit pal. The Italian Peterlee (if Peterlee had a fashion week).

The famous Peterlee Fashion Week. I can see the Catwalk installed in Vibe, lasses decked out with the pride of Select.

“Cagliari received offers and turned them down. I am happy to have remained with the club I support. If I had to choose between Serie A and the Premier League, I’d go for England, because I like the way they approach the game. Plus everyone there is just as irritable and prone to fouls as me!

“My dream is to get a nice house with a garden and a pool. And to meet Lebron James.”

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Its probably a generalisation but players from Southern Europe particularly Italy are less likely to want to move to the North East of England. Its just so wildly different (especially if you're from Sardinia) and there's less pull given that Inter are a massive club and you dont have to move from Italy. Its not the same as South Americans who basically have to play in Europe. I think there's a reason why Italian success stories in the PL are few and far between. 

I think this is likely true. Also most Italian players and managers just do this circuit:

Juventus

Inter

Milan

Roma

Napoli

Lazio

And then sometimes a couple others are super competitive too.  Only England rivals that level of depth of top clubs. Like Sevilla are successful but they don’t have the same pull as the 4th 5th clubs in Italy for domestic talent 

I agree with everyone that this does not make sense, because of the status of the club, the city, nationality, low fee and high wages.

But the reports seem credible, and surely we would have asked the agent/club if they would be interested before taking it this far. It seems a bargain for a world class player, but stranger things have happened in the world of football.

2 hours ago, cranna said:

You can't compare the cities of Roma and Milão with Newcastle. Not even 200k p/w will be enough to convince him.

Got to say for all it was only about 12hrs in Milan centre I wasn't overly impressed. Certainly not somewhere I'd dream of living.

Edited by madras

1 minute ago, madras said:

Got to say for all it was only about 12hrs in Milan centre I wasn't overly impressed. Certainly not somewhere I'd dream of living.

Me neither. Allowing the fact it was 20 years ago and I was blutered the entire time, I wasn't impressed. Couldn't even see the cathedral for scaffolding. 

Mind I think the rich live away from the city near some lake. 

Pontelandini or summit

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Brazil and France and Spain are pretty nice countries as well for the most part, you can still buy footballers from them. 

Brazilian footballers are basically like British brikkies in the early 80s. Have to move for the graft in foreign parts. 

48 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Barella is already on 150k a week and the tax situation is more generous for professional athletes than it is in the UK. To give a significant salary increase you are looking at probably 250k+ a week. We are not at that stage of offering those kind of wages and even if we are I don't think it's a good idea to use money only as main convincing point. It's why I don't think this is ever going to be a goer personally (in addition to the fact Inter will want a decent bit more than £50 million). 

The wages seem like a stumbling block, aye. To me it would seem sensible to offer him a salary just above what he's on with guaranteed increases year on year. 

16 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

https://twitter.com/SkySports_Keith/status/1669278888944435205

"Difficult to tell at this stage, but they’re trying to get him. Isak was “too expensive” last summer but they still pressed the button eventually."

Thanks Keith.

Everyone is too expensive according to our party line but that's to keep prices down. Obviously FFP is an issue but we still have money we can spend. It'll be interesting to see what happens with man city, Everton and even Villa when you look what they've spent. I think FFP if FFP is actually enforced then clubs will toe the line, if not then it'll be free reign for British clubs and well dominate Europe.

Also for it to be fair across Europe it needs to take into account taxation.

Edited by relámpago blanco

32 minutes ago, madras said:

Yeah, admittedly the gelato is nice, but you could sit in the Tesco cafe at the Bridges and tuck into a tub of Kelly's cornish ice cream and still have change for a pack of digestives.

Already mentioned maybe but we could see him in action tonight against Spain.

Possibly just be on the bench all game though as he's obviously had less time to rest than others in the squad.

I don't know why this needs to be said but I will say it anyway... if you think your average footballer, who's prime career lasts about 12 years, gives a fuck where they are living, whilst earning millions of pounds and playing football for a living, you haven't been paying attention.

Do you honestly think Manchester and Liverpool are beautiful places to live? I've been to both and neither are the Costa del sol(ford). 

Players move because they want paid loads and they want to win loads. In both metrics we are moving up in the world.

Once they've earned a squillion quid they can retire in Miami or whatever, for now it doesn't play a particularly big part in a footballers decision.

If we don't get Barella it's because we either can't afford him or he fancies somewhere with an even better chance or winning something. That's if he wants to move at all.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

I don't know why this needs to be said but I will say it anyway... if you think your average footballer, who's prime career lasts about 12 years, gives a fuck where they are living, whilst earning millions of pounds and playing football for a living, you haven't been paying attention.

Do you honestly think Manchester and Liverpool are beautiful places to live? I've been to both and neither are the Costa del sol(ford). 

Players move because they want paid loads and they want to win loads. In both metrics we are moving up in the world.

Once they've earned a squillion quid they can retire in Miami or whatever, for now it doesn't play a particularly big part in a footballers decision.

If we don't get Barella it's because we either can't afford him or he fancies somewhere with an even better chance or winning something. That's if he wants to move at all.

Agreed, but I would like to point out that Miami is an absolute shit hole whose only decent characteristic is that it is close enough to sea level to disappear into the Atlantic in a few years.

1 hour ago, Groundhog63 said:

Me neither. Allowing the fact it was 20 years ago and I was blutered the entire time, I wasn't impressed. Couldn't even see the cathedral for scaffolding. 

Mind I think the rich live away from the city near some lake. 

Pontelandini or summit

37 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

All the footballers live out near Como don’t they. 

Aye, there

26 minutes ago, STM said:

It clearly is a factor though for some. It's one of the main reasons we got Trippier really as he wanted to move back over here and took a paycut. Players are still humans with families and other people to consider, moving to a different league, with a different language and culture is always going to be somewhat of a challenge and something they will think about. There's English players who won't even move north of London ffs [emoji38]